PDA

View Full Version : Isolation play question

ckessel
05-16-2005, 10:29 AM
In response to some earlier posts on my 3/6 struggles people suggested I work on my blinds and isolation. I'm happy to say it seems to be helping, or I'm just running well, but I've had one circumstance that comes up a lot that I'm not sure how to handle.

I'm in UTG+2 with KTs and it's folded to TagBoy (18/8) at UTG+1 who limps.

Against your typical fish, I raise to isolate. What about against a TAG though? I know my UTG+2 limp requirements are typically ATo, AJo, or two lower suited broadways. If I raise to isolate, there's a good chance the TAG is as good, or better, than my hand, plus I have to worry about people yet to play behind me.

I guess the crux of the question is, do you limp along in this case in an effort to get fish into the hand, or do you try to end up HU with the TAG?

Now, I'm sure people will go "A real TAG never open-limps", but even some of the best 3/6 stats that have been posted tend to show 10/8 type states from UTG.

flair1239
05-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Part of the isolation play, is that you have to think it will work a certain percentage of the time (ie... you will be heads up).

In this case I would consider (2) factors. What would a TAG be limping with. In General I think it is safe to say the range would look something like this (assuming it is not a loose table... in which case discussions of isolation are moot anyway)

77-99, KQo, AJo, A7s-ATs, QJs. Maybe also some thing like QTs or JTs.

If I thought there was a better than average chance of being HU I would consider it. But in general I would limp behind here.

EDIT: My 2nd point was going to be, that isolation plays from EP raely end up in isolation, as even decent players will start CC with med PP, and suited stuff in anticipation of a 4-way 2-bet pot.

27offsooot
05-16-2005, 10:46 AM
I would limp here. Most of my isolation plays are against crappy limpers and when I'm in MP3 or later.

ckessel
05-16-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My 2nd point was going to be, that isolation plays from EP raely end up in isolation, as even decent players will start CC with med PP, and suited stuff in anticipation of a 4-way 2-bet pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, which is why KTs tends to be one of my lower limits on isolation. Being suited and semi-connected, I'm not heartbroken if it gets several cold callers. I won't tend to try an isolation with something like KJo from such early position. In MP2-3 I might drop my isolation play to that point.

I'm much more worried if I isolate with ATo from UTG+x and get cold callers... I'm often dominated at that point.

flair1239
05-16-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My 2nd point was going to be, that isolation plays from EP raely end up in isolation, as even decent players will start CC with med PP, and suited stuff in anticipation of a 4-way 2-bet pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, which is why KTs tends to be one of my lower limits on isolation. Being suited and semi-connected, I'm not heartbroken if it gets several cold callers. I won't tend to try an isolation with something like KJo from such early position. In MP2-3 I might drop my isolation play to that point.

I'm much more worried if I isolate with ATo from UTG+x and get cold callers... I'm often dominated at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess my point is that in deciding what to do with this hand, the possbility of isolation should be a relatively small consdieration, because it is unlikely to occur. (Again depending on the table.)

UseThePeenEnd
05-16-2005, 11:26 AM
May not be applicable because my experience in 3/6 is limited, but my tries at isolation are from later position unless the table is generally favorable. Too many times a raise in early position generates schooling or a genuine caller/3-bet. But as you point out, you are not heartbroken to play this hand multiway for 2 bets, that just wasn't your intention.

Also, as was stated by someone else, the range of hands of a tight limper includes several hands better than yours.