AgentBishop
05-19-2005, 11:22 PM
I am.

treeofwisdom7
05-20-2005, 03:46 AM
bigisland here..

Scuba Chuck
05-20-2005, 08:18 PM
What's the cost of living like in Hawaii as compared to ...pick any major US city. I think you guys have the perfect hours to play poker full time.

treeofwisdom7
05-20-2005, 11:35 PM
cost of living compared to anyother state is ? idano?

but gas is 1.50+ , homes are 150-200k , apts are 800-1.5k

TM1212
05-22-2005, 07:09 PM
Alot of people will claim the cost of living is alot more, but the truth is this is very inaccurate.

The houses (depending on island and location) aren't much worse then anyother city. The booming real estate market has sent houses throught the roof, but this has happened every where. The prices of houses are comparable to california southern shore areas (even cheaper as u move inland).
Food is priced a little higher, because of the extra cost of transportation, but nothing noticeable. I only live in Wikiki for 3 months out of the year, so i find myself eating out alot, plus i love seafood, and you can find some excellent prices much cheaper then anywhere back in the 48 states. (ie 12 oz NY Strip steak, 2 lobster tails- $10.99) If you do things right, the price of food is about the same as any other part of the country.

Gas is about the same (plus they have the best public transportation), utilities the same, retail store prices about the same. The cost of living (at least in Wikiki) is about the same as any other big city, but we get excellent weather year round, and live in what many consider a paradise. (i consider it NYC with a warm climate and great surf, it be paradise if I could find a fishy 10-20 or 15-30 game, or any game for that matter)

The downside!!! NO POKER OR GAMBLING. Its nearly impossible to find a home game! Plus there are no underground clubs! There state gov is crazy about gambling, and the penalties for running an underground club are stiff. I heard about 2 months ago they caught someone running a underground craps game with less then 2 grand on the table, a few quater slot machines, and a 2-4 limit holdem game, the owner was faceing some serious hard time (3+years).

I recommend bring a computer and playing online, its really your best hope. Unless you get lucky and find a nice home game (then lmk!) I am in hawaii for about 3 months out of the year (the other 9 im in nj, so plenty of poker). Ill be down again in july.

Also, you could always take the flight into cali, its a long flight 4+ hours, but the prices arent bad.

gmunny
05-23-2005, 05:14 PM
Cost of living may be similar because locals get the kamaaina rates! But just because food and such cost comparable to big cities like LA and NY, the difference is the volume of higher paying jobs. I think a lot of locals (at least college graduates) come to the main land for this reason.
G$

Duck
05-23-2005, 07:40 PM
I live on Oahu... not sure where you guys got your figures... I've heard that the cost of living is higher but because i haven't lived anywhere else (w/ the exception of college), it's all i know.

But here are more accurate figures so you can judge for yourself:

gallon of regular gas: $2.40
Median single family home (april 05): $545K
Median condominium (april 05): $243K
Rent for a 2-bedroom apt: $1200-1400/mo
Rent for 3-bed house: $2000-2400/mo.
box of cereal: $5-6
gallon of milk: $6-7

(the rent figures are assuming the place is safe, clean, and in a decent location)

As for the poker... there are no card clubs. I'm sure some of the snobby country clubs have card playing events. There are a bunch of homegames just like anywhere else in the nation...

hope this helps

treeofwisdom7
05-26-2005, 05:47 PM
well if anyone around the islands wants to chat about the game pm me