PDA

View Full Version : playing junk

pk Wools
05-16-2005, 05:33 AM
if the pot is multiway, can you play junk in the SB?

jkkkk
05-16-2005, 05:39 AM
i tend not to, depends what you class as junk though, i mean i would play 86o but never j5o

Verdi
05-16-2005, 05:47 AM
I agree. I tend to play hands that could flop a monster from the SB in an unraised pot. Sometimes I even do it in a slightly raised pot with many callers. The extreme was when I had 54s and called a small raise. Flop comes A23 rainbow. Thank you very much. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

creedofhubris
05-16-2005, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if the pot is multiway, can you play junk in the SB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if it's soooooooooted.

NYCNative
05-16-2005, 08:53 AM
If all you have to do is complete the BB and you have 3+ other people seeing the flop, I believe that you have pot odds no matter what two cards you hold.

jacknine
05-16-2005, 10:36 AM
Agreed - Iīll play just about anything from the SB in an unraised pot. I think itīs the perfect spot to do a bit of gambling.

Ghazban
05-16-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If all you have to do is complete the BB and you have 3+ other people seeing the flop, I believe that you have pot odds no matter what two cards you hold.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot odds at the time of the call are not the only factor to consider as you will most likely still have money left to bet after completing in the SB. If you can't get away from TPNK, bottom two pair, baby flushes, and one-card straights, you are better off folding a lot of your SBs. Also, if your opponents are capable of outplaying you postflop, you would not give up much by playing your SB as tightly as you play UTG. Being out of position for all future betting rounds is a larger disadvantage than is offset by the half price you get to see the flop. In many games, I will play more hands for the full BB on the button than for half price in the SB.

schwza
05-16-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

to piggyback off what ghazban is saying, adding more people is not all that beneficial. if you complete with 73o in a 3-way pot and flop two pair, your hand is almost certainly good, but in a 7-way pot it's much more likely you're up against a better hand.

LetYouDown
05-16-2005, 11:33 AM
When I first purchased Poker Tracker, I noticed that my % completion from the SB was very very high. I've been doing quite a bit better folding garbage hands from this spot. If it's a true family pot, I'm probably playing any 2, but that's an exception.

canis582
05-16-2005, 11:49 AM
I limped J5s from the small blind and stacked someone with a flush yesterday. The problem with playing speculative crap in the SB is that you are out of position.