PDA

View Full Version : Push of my short career....

bluefeet
05-15-2005, 11:03 PM
$35+3 - PAYS ONLY 1st & 2nd

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (3 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t6150)
SB (t665)
Hero (t2185)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t200.

Flop: (t900) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t800</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1785</font>, Button calls t985.

Turn: (t4470) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t4470) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t4470

Villian turns over AJo....talk about the longest 3 seconds!

Stupid? Nads of steel, correct play? SB was obviously on his last leg, but he had been hanging on forever - doubling up twice, only to get windled back down. Maybe bet more on the flop, etc.etc.etc. The push was EXTREMELY hard to make.

Karak567
05-15-2005, 11:55 PM
I would have pushed PF.

bluefeet
05-15-2005, 11:58 PM
Really?

A semi-stop&amp;go (no overs on the flop) seemed a lot safer. Do you risk every chip (and busting out of the money) on a coin toss w/ 5 cards to come -- into the raiser?

Granted, that IS the situation after the flop, but odds are much greater in my favor.

I certainly respect your opinion, but with SB ready to bust, I was expecting to hear a "fold PF" responce /images/graemlins/wink.gif

pokerlaw
05-15-2005, 11:59 PM
I would have put more in PF. however, you didnt. With this flop, I would be feeling very good about this hand. I might have led for a higher bet, but getting all the chips in is a good play.

Karak567
05-16-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Really?

A semi-stop&amp;go (no overs on the flop) seemed a lot safer. Do you risk every chip (and busting out of the money) on a coin toss w/ 5 cards to come -- into the raiser?

Granted, that IS the situation after the flop, but odds are much greater in my favor.

I certainly respect your opinion, but with SB ready to bust, I was expecting to hear a "fold PF" responce /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that the SB is about to bust means he would have to have a real premium hand to call your raise.

Then again, sometimes I give these guys too much credit for thinking. I didn't see how low the SB really was.

In this case I like the call and flop push. (sorry didn't look at stacks before)

Nottom
05-16-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TT is a big favorite against his range of raising hands and you have plenty of folding equity preflop as he doesn't want to double you up with trash and should realize you aren't going to be raising lite with the shorty around. He should be laying down hands like KJ/QJ and most 1 overcard hands to a preflop push.

If I were to try a stop and go, I'm just open pushing. Your 400 bet looks weak and gives him an opportunity to play back with overcards which completely defeats the point of the Stop and go.

curtains
05-16-2005, 12:28 AM
For a lot of people on this forum , I feel like it'd be better if they never heard of the term stop+go, it seems everyone tries to find any conceivable chance to use it, and they seem to choose poor times to do so.

Nottom
05-16-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

For a lot of people on this forum , I feel like it'd be better if they never heard of the term stop+go, it seems everyone tries to find any conceivable chance to use it, and they seem to choose poor times to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this isn't such a bad thing.

Nick M
05-16-2005, 01:48 AM
I think one thing you might consider here is that the button could be stealing. I move in preflop here because if he IS trying to steal, than I don't want to have to take a flop with him OOP. I hate taking a flop with a guy who could be stealing, you never know what they have. Also he could have a small pair and call me hahahah YUM!!!

freemoney
05-16-2005, 02:40 AM
bluefeet i am going to apologize all the advice given on this hand ranges from bad to horrible. pushing preflop is ok but i think a call is better because he only minraised if the flop comes with overs let him take the pot big deal he stole an extra 200 the 3rd player is real short so losing 200 here is fine. Nottom says to open push the flop which makes no sense, for so many self-evident reasons. also the idea that villian is on a steal and you dont want to take a flop b/c who knows what he has makes no sense. its not like this is a deep stacked cash game, you are getting 20% of your stack in pre combined by the fact he will autobet the flop easily makes up for the time he outflops you here on a great board for you, check the flop here, if hes on a complete steal you let him off far too easy by leading the flop hes also gonna autobet the flop so let him make that bet and c/r all in. learn how to play people.

barycentric
05-16-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
bluefeet i am going to apologize all the advice given on this hand ranges from bad to horrible. pushing preflop is ok but i think a call is better because he only minraised if the flop comes with overs let him take the pot big deal he stole an extra 200 the 3rd player is real short so losing 200 here is fine. Nottom says to open push the flop which makes no sense, for so many self-evident reasons. also the idea that villian is on a steal and you dont want to take a flop b/c who knows what he has makes no sense. its not like this is a deep stacked cash game, you are getting 20% of your stack in pre combined by the fact he will autobet the flop easily makes up for the time he outflops you here on a great board for you, check the flop here, if hes on a complete steal you let him off far too easy by leading the flop hes also gonna autobet the flop so let him make that bet and c/r all in. learn how to play people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero is not trying to extract to to the maximize. He would like to find the safest way to make the villain fold. Thus, both pushing preflop and pushing the flop are superior to checking the flop, which among other things can give the villain the option of checking behind or betting enough so that if you come over the top, he would then have pot odds to call.

beeyjay
05-16-2005, 02:50 AM
i don't think this is a stop and go. its a case of aggresively betting a hand for value. with that said, you need to push the flop instead of half potting it.

beeyjay
05-16-2005, 02:53 AM
i want the 900 chips out there without a showdown for all my chips when the short stack is this short. if you check in an effort to check raise all your chips are going in and with these stack sizes that is just dumb in my mind. be grateful for the 900 and move on.

uphigh_downlow
05-16-2005, 08:12 AM
I'm not sure of the payout structure, but it is possible that getting your chips in on the flop against his chips might be a profitable situation, on this great flop. More profiatble than just buying the pot here.

So in that sense, I'm with freemoney on this one.

There is more than stealing to such situations, if you can be fairly precise in your reads.

And if he is ahead anyway, it doesnt matter what you do, coz obviously fold is not an option you considered on a loball board.

treeofwisdom7
05-16-2005, 09:50 AM
if we knew it would be a coin flip and he would call an all in i would fold the 10's preflop. you can alway take the coin flip later.

Scuba Chuck
05-16-2005, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It really depends on his betting impetus.

Wes ManTooth
05-16-2005, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling preflop to a min raise I think is the best approach with pocket tens. Fold if an Ace hits on the flop.