PDA

View Full Version : The Contender

SuitedSixes
05-15-2005, 11:01 PM
What an amazing fight! I had goosebumps through the entire last round. Peter's athletecism and conditioning were just too much for Gomez. It was too bad that someone had to lose that fight.

Peter just seemed ready from the start, and had that confidence that had been missing before.

This series has been amazing. The personal struggle that is displayed every week is what makes this show so appealing. I was pulling for Peter, but the thought of Alfredo's family being able to move out of their two bedroom apartment really made me hurt for him when he lost. Simply amazing.

Popinjay
05-15-2005, 11:52 PM
I wanted Alfonso to win so badly /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Last round was just incredible. seemed like Alfonso just didn't have enough gas in the tank to hang with Manfredo.

BWebb
05-15-2005, 11:57 PM
When they said this fights would go 7, the first thing I thought was that should benefit Manfredo. That was the case. Just better conditioned and his jab was able to wear down Alfonso. Damn good fight.

Blarg
05-15-2005, 11:59 PM
I lost a little sympathy for Alfredo's dad when he called someone "Huero."

Peter seemed to falter in one of the middle rounds, like he was out of it and had no confidence. He seems like a very emotional fighter. Like he can either pick up lots of momentum or lose it badly and need a solid hit on his opponent to bring back his confidence level. A vulnerability there.

Had to respect both guys. Not for their boxing prowess, but for just giving it their all in the end; both were doing everything they could to win. Both could probably have boxed better under different circumstances, in a longer fight. But they had to kind of blow their wads under this structure, and just square off and exchange damage. Kind of lame in some ways, but I'm just glad boxing is back on regular t.v.

By the way, Peter's wife is pretty cute. That was a strange hug she shared with his dad after the fight.

BWebb
05-16-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I lost a little sympathy for Alfredo's dad when he called someone "Huero."

[/ QUOTE ]

It was Alfonso's dad who was saying, and he was calling Alfonso it. Not sure what it means, though.

renodoc
05-16-2005, 12:09 AM
Awesome fight.

Anyone think Brinkley has a chance against Sergio? I'm pullin for the Nevada kid.

Blarg
05-16-2005, 12:12 AM
No, he was calling Alfonso's fight advisor that name. "Huero" is a derogatory term for "white guy."

The full line was, "He's tired, Huero."

He wasn't calling his son a (insulting kind of) white guy.

Slacker13
05-16-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It was too bad that someone had to lose that fight.

[/ QUOTE ]
I felt the same way. I have been rooting for Manfredo Jr from the beginning and was excited to see him win tonight but I did feel very bad for Gomez.

The boxing is phenominal. Better than any of the overpriced pay per view crap on today. These guys have the heart and courage that you don't see in many athletes today.

Popinjay
05-16-2005, 12:15 AM
I don't think so... his Dad was constantly yelling out Huero throughout the whole series and it seemed like he was calling Alfonso it..

TimTimSalabim
05-16-2005, 12:19 AM
I don't think his corner person did him a favor when he told Alfonso that he needed both rounds, when he really only needed one. That might have psyched him out.

BWebb
05-16-2005, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No, he was calling Alfonso's fight advisor that name. "Huero" is a derogatory term for "white guy."

The full line was, "He's tired, Huero."

He wasn't calling his son a (insulting kind of) white guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I know he was calling Alfonso that. It's because he has light skin color, like a white guy. Same as Hueto I believe.

Blarg
05-16-2005, 12:34 AM
Heh it doesn't look too light to me.

There's an off chance you might be right, if for some reason you think Alfonso is light skinned.

Definitely rubbed me the wrong way to hear it. I have lots of Latino friends who call me that, but it's different with friends. Kinda jerky otherwise. I haven't seen much of the series, so maybe I'm just out of the loop on this one.

Popinjay
05-16-2005, 12:47 AM
vote for fan favorites fights (http://contender.tv.yahoo.com/01/fanfavorites.html)

Everyone who's a fan of this show vote for the undercard bouts in the finale. Something seems to be a little fishy though with Tarick and Jimmy Lange leading the way?

SuitedSixes
05-16-2005, 08:28 AM
It is very common for Mexican families to call the lightest skinned in the family Guero or Huero. Nothing insulting about it.