PDA

View Full Version : How do you play QQ in the 55s?

jacks321
05-15-2005, 10:03 PM
I've been trying my hand at the 55s lately. Overall it's going well, but I'm unsure how to play pocket queens. In the lower buyins, I could confidently call an all in bet with QQ knowing I was way ahead far more often than I was behind. Every time I've had pocket queens in the 55s, I've lost my stack to AK, AA or KK. Small sample size, but I'm wondering if it's generally a bad idea to call all-in with QQ early in the tourney? For the people that play the 55s, how do you handle QQ early on?

shejk
05-15-2005, 10:20 PM
Well, someone will get kings or aces somewhere around 9% of the times you get dealt queens.

Someone will be dealt AK twice as often.

You won't be folding many QQ preflop at the 55 level either. There are exceptions, but they are exceptions.

jacks321
05-15-2005, 10:36 PM
Right, I understand. I think I phrased my question badly. Basically, what I'm asking is if early in the game, I don't have much of a read on anyone yet, I raise a good bit with pocket queens and someone in a later position re-raises all in. Should I be more inclined to fold than I would in a lower buy-in?

shejk
05-15-2005, 10:45 PM
More inclined to fold than in a lower buyin, yes I guess so. Still, in most cases it's a call.

In example stated, say everyone's got about 1k chips, it's level two, so you open raise to 100. One caller, then a push from a blind. I'd call every time. In that example there are several reasons to not give him too much credit.

On the other hand, lvl3, and you raise to 150 from late position after an utg limper. He pushes. Here I can see a fold against certain opponents.