PDA

View Full Version : Canada, Gambling, and Taxes

Jason Pohl
12-02-2002, 09:53 PM
I've read here before that gambling income in Canada is not considered for income tax. Is that true?

I wonder how much of an effect this could have for a professional earning $80K a year. In the U.S., we're talking about something like $30K in taxes (probably more). If there is no tax in Canada, that's a huge huge difference. Am I missing something?

'Course, a secondary question: Aren't there a lot of benefits granted by the government, such as socialized health care? Would the pro be afforded full coverage of these socialized benefits even though he is not contributing money via income tax?

--Jason

Ryan_21
12-03-2002, 10:15 PM
These are very good questions IMO, and I hope some others that know more about it chime in b/c Ive been wondering about it too. It sounds like a sweetass deal. If I could just talk my fiance into moving from Florida (warm) to Canada (friggin cold) it would be on. But she aint havin it.

Anyway, as far as I know, gambling income is not taxable in Canada, and I beleive (not positive) that all citizens get free health care. However your second question raises an interesting observation that I have no Idea about and never even considered. The only thing I can say is that I could see both sides as to why and why not a pro could or couldnt get the health benefits. Anybody who could help out with this question, please enlighten us.

Ryan_21