PDA

View Full Version : Original OOTiots....

SpearsBritney
05-15-2005, 08:05 PM
I'm fairly new to OOT. Could you please give me some examples of these glory days you speak so fondly of. Also instead of making bitch posts about the recent state of OOT (which IMO, only contributes to the problem), why not instead set some examples, and make some worthy posts yourselves.

Dynasty
05-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Click on "Older Archives".

Jazza
05-15-2005, 08:26 PM
i've thought similar thoughts before like this, i wouldn't mind being shown some examples of the so-called glory days

and yeah i agree if some one thinks a thread sucks bad i reckon they should just ignore it, that way it will die quicker

spamuell
05-15-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty you're so disappointing, I saw your name, clicked and was so eagerly awaiting a tinkie-winkie picture. This place has really gone to the dogs.

daryn
05-15-2005, 08:29 PM
basically the "glory days" consisted of only interesting and/or helpful posts and less noise.

Dynasty
05-15-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty you're so disappointing, I saw your name, clicked and was so eagerly awaiting a tinkie-winkie picture. This place has really gone to the dogs.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a bit of a Tinky Winky rebellion so I've used it more descriminately. Besides, I only used it when there was a "Poster X is Stinky. Agree?" type of post. And, those types of posts have not been nearly as common.

SpearsBritney
05-15-2005, 08:35 PM
Yeah, I have looked through the older archives, I just thought that someone might be reminded of one or two gems in particular.

manpower
05-15-2005, 08:37 PM
"How many Five year olds" was pretty good.

istewart
05-15-2005, 08:41 PM
Nice avatar.

Dynasty
05-15-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When people use the term "glory days", they aren't talking about last month.

Seriously, I wouldn't say there was a time where OOT was filled with stunning post after post. But, there was a time when the self-indulgent posting was nearly non-existent.

slickpoppa
05-15-2005, 08:42 PM
And I hope when I get old I don’t sit around thinking about it
But I probably will
Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture
A little of the glory of, well time slips away
And leaves you with nothing mister but
Boring stories of glory days

ThaSaltCracka
05-15-2005, 08:43 PM
it was just more fun, less personal problem posts,and less flame wars.

jack spade23
05-15-2005, 08:54 PM
There was no Shawn P.
Come to think of it, there is no Shawn P. now, /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

so there is no problem.

I actually dont know if he made good posts before he went all Kurt Cobain on us.

manpower
05-15-2005, 08:57 PM
Thanks man.

I didn't realize the five year olds thread was that recent (first post was 1/17/05). Coulda sworn it was sometime last year.

wacki
05-15-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Could you please give me some examples of these glory days you speak so fondly of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well for one thing Clarkmeister, Ray Zee, TSC and many others participated in OOT much more then they do now. OOT was small enough that you were able to identify and get to know everyone. I don't know who half the OOT'ers are now.

Plus when somebody asks for advice you get 20 comments from idiots that say "put it in her pooper" or something else really dumb. In the past people worked hard to give legit advice. Now the actual content is very diluted. When they weren't giving advice the humor was a lot funnier then the mindless lets repeat "put it in her pooper" 1000x.

BusterStacks
05-15-2005, 09:16 PM
You're making me misty-eyed. Ah the good old days...

wacki
05-15-2005, 09:25 PM
The day we saw the old OOT die was the day we first saw......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/pwarcham/capt.jpg

Now we don't even use that anymore. Too much work.... /images/graemlins/mad.gif

ThaSaltCracka
05-15-2005, 09:49 PM
sorry man, my work situation has limited my posting frequency. I just wish people would try to be productive a little bit more here.

[ QUOTE ]
OOT was small enough that you were able to identify and get to know everyone. I don't know who half the OOT'ers are now.

[/ QUOTE ] This was probably the best part. I don't have a problem with more people coming here, but the friendliness of the forum has falling dramatically, and thats too bad.

Dynasty
05-15-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually like OOT's new culture which allows us to communicate only with images.

theBruiser500
05-15-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I have looked through the older archives, I just thought that someone might be reminded of one or two gems in particular.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your life must be pretty lame if you are looking through OOT archives.

wacki
05-15-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually like OOT's new culture which allows us to communicate only with images.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do I. And your smileys are the best.

I'm sure you were able to figure this out, but what I was talking about was repeat threads and not the image itself.

mostsmooth
05-15-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, I wouldn't say there was a time where OOT was filled with stunning post after post. But, there was a time when the self-indulgent posting was nearly non-existent.

[/ QUOTE ]
you mean like this crap? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14)

Alobar
05-15-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf are you doing in threaded mode?? You should know better. flat mode is where its at, threaded is for n00bs

diddle
05-15-2005, 10:18 PM
this forum is awesome because every post is met with a "you're gay" response
or some lame 2+2 joke about elaborating or not close
or some dumb picture

B Dids
05-15-2005, 10:23 PM
With no specific beef towards TSC, who i think is a decent poster, I think OOT took a turn from the worse about when he started posting. OOT used to have a slightly different flavor to it, and now it's just like any other random "other forum" on the internet. It's hard to describe, but whatever made this forum unique has gone away.

SpearsBritney
05-15-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct! Now how 'bout a hug.

wacki
05-15-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to describe, but whatever made this forum unique has gone away.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about the voices of the true poker players/enthusiasts have been smothered in the endless and mindless babble of the gambling wannabe fishes.

NLSoldier
05-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Heres an awesome example of why OOT sucks now...

gay thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2404563&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

Dead
05-15-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showprofile.php?Cat=&User=8358&Number=2404575&Boar d=exchange&what=showflat&page=0&view=collapsed&sb= 5&o=14&fpart=1&vc=1)

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

nolanfan34
05-15-2005, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In the past people worked hard to give legit advice. Now the actual content is very diluted.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the key sentence of the thread. Wacki's post is spot on.

mostsmooth
05-15-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showprofile.php?Cat=&User=8358&Number=2404575&Boar d=exchange&what=showflat&page=0&view=collapsed&sb= 5&o=14&fpart=1&vc=1)

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]
i thought it was decided that FYP was extremely old and should stop immediately? also goes for using pwn and pwned. very stupid
very

Dead
05-15-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]
i thought it was decided that FYP was extremely old and should stop immediately? also goes for using pwn and pwned. very stupid
very

[/ QUOTE ]

stick it in her pooper.

ThaSaltCracka
05-15-2005, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With no specific beef towards TSC, who i think is a decent poster, I think OOT took a turn from the worse about when he started posting. OOT used to have a slightly different flavor to it, and now it's just like any other random "other forum" on the internet. It's hard to describe, but whatever made this forum unique has gone away.

[/ QUOTE ]what the [censored] are you talking about? I use to post here before it was even OOT. B Dids, take of your [censored] crown and come back into reality.

mostsmooth
05-15-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]
very

[/ QUOTE ]

stick it in her pooper.

[/ QUOTE ]
get em all out now

Dead
05-15-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]what the [censored] are you talking about? I use to post here before it was even OOT. B Dids, take of your [censored] crown and come back into reality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get your panties in a twist. He's not saying that you made it bad. He's just saying that, right when you start posting in here, the quality of posts started to go downhill.

ThaSaltCracka
05-15-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get your panties in a twist. He's not saying that you made it bad. He's just saying that, right when you start posting in here, the quality of posts started to go downhill.

[/ QUOTE ]Thats still bullshit, I have been posting in this particular forum for almost a year and a half. OOT pretty much ruled up until 3 months ago.

James Boston
05-15-2005, 11:44 PM
I don't know when the so called "glory days" were, but I've been posting for 1.5 years and I don't have 1000 posts. Now, people are Carpal Tunnel after 2 weeks. There's alot more posting for the sake of posting now. People have nothing to say anymore...just clutter.

Dead
05-15-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Thats still bullshit, I have been posting in this particular forum for almost a year and a half. OOT pretty much ruled up until 3 months ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I started posting in OOT 3 months ago. I wonder if it's a coincidence. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-15-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thats still bullshit, I have been posting in this particular forum for almost a year and a half. OOT pretty much ruled up until 3 months ago.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know when the so called "glory days" were, but I've been posting for 1.5 years and I don't have 1000 posts. Now, people are Carpal Tunnel after 2 weeks. There's alot more posting for the sake of posting now. People have nothing to say anymore...just clutter.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.
[ QUOTE ]
But I started posting in OOT 3 months ago. I wonder if it's a coincidence.

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

ThaSaltCracka
05-15-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But I started posting in OOT 3 months ago. I wonder if it's a coincidence. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]yes, and you aren't the only one. See James post above yours, people post not just for the sake of posting, its all clutter now, and really stupid arguments.

SpearsBritney
05-15-2005, 11:48 PM
Is it just that there's too much crap, or are there less quality posts as well?

B Dids
05-16-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my basic disagreement. I think it's been bad for much longer than that. In general most of the forums have. In part because OOT was where you got to see the other side of posters you knew from other forums. You read a post from astro or Paluka in mid-high and then saw the rest of their personality here. Now there's a legion of posters, like TSC, who primarily post in OOT and have never had much presence on other parts of the forums. No specific beef with the "quality" of those posters, but it's a change in OOT that makes it a little less interesting to me.

ThaSaltCracka
05-16-2005, 12:47 AM
thank you for clarifying, that makes sense. I don't think that is my fault though, and also, I would say there are plenty of people who know me outside of OOT. But, thats irrevalent. I think maybe what you are talking about are those people who signed up and basically have only posted in OOT. I guess it seems that way for me, but to be honest its not, I use to post elsewhere for a long time, and then "discovered" OT somehow. I guess it sucked me in, but thats because it was lively and fun, which was a change of pace from the startegy forums, which had become(to me atleast) bastions of stubborness and ball swinging cockines.

Blarg
05-16-2005, 12:52 AM
OOT has always had stupid stuff, and there's nothing wrong with that.

But it does seem like now it has almost ONLY stupid stuff.

It seems mostly junior high, "Mooks Only," now.

Blarg
05-16-2005, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Opposite to now, where that kind of posting seems like a competition that's almost the subject of the forum by itself.

_2000Flushes
05-16-2005, 01:08 AM
If there was ever a time that could called the glory days, it ended before OOT was born.

-2kF

purnell
05-16-2005, 01:35 AM
I think some people just use this forum to release their negative feelings. I say, If you don't want to see it, click the ignore button. Problem solved.

And nostalgia for an exclusive community is normal, but noobs mean sold books, which is, after all, more or less the purpose of this website.

my 2 bucks

daryn
05-16-2005, 02:31 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
or some dumb picture

[/ QUOTE ]

actually that's exactly why it sucks.

i like funny pictures, but come up with new ones.. seeing the same over and over is .. stupid.

The Stranger
05-16-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
or some dumb picture

[/ QUOTE ]

actually that's exactly why it sucks.

i like funny pictures, but come up with new ones.. seeing the same over and over is .. stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://growabrain.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/elvis_brain.jpg

mmbt0ne
05-16-2005, 02:39 AM
One of my favorite OT threads of all time (I don't think it was OOT yet) was some guy talking about his kid pwning at those quarter drop games by the register at fast-food places, and asking if it would be +EV to just have him drop change to win cinnamon twists rather than pay the price on the menu.

That was an awesome thread.

jakethebake
05-16-2005, 08:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I'm pretty sure 2/7/05 is the day the good ol' oot died.

thatpfunk
05-16-2005, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your version of a good OOT is much different than most.

jakethebake
05-16-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your version of a good OOT is much different than most.

[/ QUOTE ]

Than some at least, but I'm still marking 2/7/05.

thatpfunk
05-16-2005, 09:40 AM
I do agree it was a dark, dark day.

Oski
05-16-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It died on 2/23/05 ... that's when the sh!t mountain finally burnt out.

Wes ManTooth
05-16-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=exchange&amp;Number=151671 3&amp;Forum=All_Forums&amp;Words="archive"&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Main=1516713&amp;Search=true&amp;wh ere=bodysub&amp;Name=5790&amp;daterange=1&amp;newerval=6&amp;newer type=m&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp;bodyprev=#Post1516713 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=exchange&amp;Number=151671 3&amp;Forum=All_Forums&amp;Words=)

jakethebake
05-16-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice hand, but clean up the link please.

Peca277
05-16-2005, 11:00 AM
Links like this contribute to the suckiness of the threads discussing the suckiness of OOT.

Dynasty
05-16-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for you, I'll put the teletubby into semi-retirement. If for some reason, I choose to use the gay label, I'll use this picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/DynastyPoker/22_not_gay.jpg

thatpfunk
05-16-2005, 11:10 AM
What is in his mouth? Celery? WTF? Why?

Fixed Your Post
05-16-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i thought it was decided that FYP was extremely rad and people should stop ripping off my gimmick?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Wes ManTooth
05-16-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice hand, but clean up the link please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh... to late to edit, sorry about that.

Amy
05-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Does anyone else think the guy in front with the celery looks like Evan?

CallMeIshmael
05-16-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf are you doing in threaded mode?? You should know better. flat mode is where its at, threaded is for n00bs

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect.

For shortish type threads, threaded is better.

thatpfunk
05-16-2005, 12:46 PM
So what are your settings then? Have you determined you read enough short threads to justify the amount of time it takes everytime you encounter a long thread to click Flat Mode?

Threaded mode would drive me insane.

jakethebake
05-16-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CallMeIshmael
05-16-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So what are your settings then? Have you determined you read enough short threads to justify the amount of time it takes everytime you encounter a long thread to click Flat Mode?

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I generally post/read SS... I dont spend too much time here (though that is changing recently)... so, most of the threads I read are like 10-15 posts long, and not the beasts that at OOT threads.

But... (and especially when you are discussing poker) I find that following the dialogue in individual sub-threads to be more valuable than the time flat mode saves.

If the thread is like 30 or more (or so) I just click on flat for that thread.

SpearsBritney
05-16-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I've been on this site for a year or two now and done a lot of reading in the archives

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I've been on this site for a year or two now and done a lot of reading in the archives

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAH

Blarg
05-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Good definition of the kind of thing we're talking about.

SpearsBritney
05-16-2005, 08:53 PM
c'mon. I admit I got carried away, but that's fukkin classic.

Ricky Slade
05-16-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
c'mon. I admit I got carried away, but that's fukkin classic.

[/ QUOTE ]