PDA

View Full Version : 55, the bubble, a shortstack, and me

Jimbobobb
05-15-2005, 06:28 PM
Just deleted someone the previous hand, so there is no SB

BB (200 chips remaning after posting 200 BB)
UTG ~1400
CO ~3800
Hero(button) ~2400

UTG raises to 700 - I have seen him raise half his stack multiple times pf, no idea what he does this with since he's never been called before

Co folds

Hero looks down and sees 5s 5d

And the concensus is?

Chiron
05-15-2005, 06:43 PM
do you even have to ask? 55 is a godsend.

Jimbobobb
05-15-2005, 07:24 PM
I don't have to ask to know what I think I should do, I ask because I'm wondering what other people have to say about it. I guess you favor a push eh? /images/graemlins/wink.gif Why is that?

BradleyT
05-15-2005, 07:31 PM
I don't know why you consider it a godsend when you have unknown FE (close to 0). Do you expect him to have undercards or something?

Maybe a stop and go might work best here. Personally I usually fold and wait for a better spot with 10-12BB still left but that's just me.

Jimbobobb
05-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Let's say you expect him to have overcards...should you take your slight edge even if you're pretty sure you have very little folding equity?

BradleyT
05-15-2005, 07:45 PM
I usually don't although you do have him covered and still have 1000 left if you lose. I'd like to think I can get an edge higher than 50% on the bubble.

If I had 88+ I would push since there's a much better chance he has an underpair and less of a chance for an overpair.

Also, we can't forget about the big blind with only 200 chips left after posting. He's committed so that's some equity we're losing to him ~30% of the time.

jgunnip
05-15-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If I had 88+ I would push since there's a much better chance he has an underpair and less of a chance for an overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

These were my thoughts as well, although I would still consider a push with 55. However the shortstack is pretty much dead though so he could be calling this regardless of your play which would make me lean towards a fold. But maybe this way of thinking is a leak in my game. FWIW, I have have as many 1st finishes as 3rd but twice as many 3rds as 4ths.

Jimbobobb
05-15-2005, 07:58 PM
If you're the small stack in this situation, and the Button pushes over the top, would you usually call? or fold and hope that UTG called and Button won?

Jimbobobb
05-15-2005, 08:00 PM
And given that Small stack would usually fold (I would think, who knows?), is it then smart for UTG to call, or to fold, since Small stack is now almost completely gone?

microbet
05-15-2005, 08:11 PM
I don't know at the moment, and I can't stay to think, as a poopy diaper is waiting for me, but you may well have a lot of FE here. If you push and BB folds, which he might well do, it is going to be hard for UTG to call.

Chiron
05-15-2005, 10:31 PM
Wow, I totally misread the hand. My bad... I thought YOU had 200 chips and had just posted 200.

I'd probably let UTG do his thing here, but what do I know.

shejk
05-15-2005, 11:03 PM
This is a nice push.

augie00
05-15-2005, 11:37 PM
Fold. Make the money. Then, next time you get 55, push.

Jimbobobb
05-15-2005, 11:45 PM
I probably money either way. I have UTG covered by a K, and even if I lose Smally has only a BB left if he folds. If I win I've pretty much got 2nd locked up with a nice shot of winning it. I also likely have the best hand if I'm called, regardless of how slim that edge. Still fold?

Newt_Buggs
05-16-2005, 02:11 AM
If the BB is loose, he will almost always call making a push the right play. If UTG is a weak tight player he will probably fold this making pushing the right play. Pushing this when there is a good chance that the SB folds and UTG calls is very bad. Basically, this is one of those few hands that will actually be very read dependent. With no reads, I would fold and get ITM

Nick M
05-16-2005, 02:15 AM
ahhhhhhhh instamuck...weak bubble play is bad, but anything but folding here would be just retarded.

freemoney
05-16-2005, 02:23 AM
real easy push, BB is huge for you, screw the icm also if you win you are guaranteed second if you lose the BB is still veryyy short so you arent in real danger of missing the money- with the fold equity and fact your hand is usually best this is an easy push.

Scuba Chuck
05-16-2005, 02:24 AM
What a great scenario to discuss. Your only read on UTG is that he has raised half his stack pf multiple times, but has never been pushed over (right?).

There's only one real question to consider....

What's your read on BB? Is he a thinking player? Is there any chance he'll fold? If you think you've got a greater than 50/50 chance he'll fold, I'd push this hand.

Losing all
05-16-2005, 02:40 AM
50/50? even donks will fold most hands here and pray. It is a very interesting hand though. I'm pretty sure this is an autopush for the "1st or 4th" cowboys among us. Tougher call for the "make the money first" crowd. It's so close for me (sans reads) that it would probably depend on my mood. I can't see it being too wrong either way.

beeyjay
05-16-2005, 03:16 AM
don't look at your cards and push.

beeyjay
05-16-2005, 03:17 AM
you have good fold equity

beeyjay
05-16-2005, 03:20 AM
not pushing is a sin

Nick M
05-16-2005, 03:25 AM
come on man hahaha a sin!!??? I don't know I guess to each his own.

beeyjay
05-16-2005, 03:27 AM
i'm baffled at how many people are folding this. The BB is going to fold in this situation unless hes a total monkey (which is true but hes the trying to fold into the money kind of monkey i'm assuming) in which case utg boy is gonna fold because hes a fold into the money kind of monkey too. If he wanted to play this hand he would have pushed. He wants to isolate the BB and hope he takes that down but not risk all his chips in case one of the big stacks wakes up with a hand behind him. (or in case one of the big stacks has a clue and will push with any 2 in this situation) If you have a bigger stack and you let a smaller stack start pushing you areound and isolating people you should find a different hobby. THis is like someone giving you a direct transfer into your account and its not a situation that comes along all that often.

beeyjay
05-16-2005, 03:27 AM
this is like somebody transfering money into your account. All you have to do is push.

Jimbobobb
05-16-2005, 11:33 AM
BB is tight as anything, I'm sorry this really should have gone in the original post. He's basically been blinded into the spot where he now resides. For those of you saying "fold, make the money", how exactly do I not make the money by folding? I have UTG covered.