PDA

View Full Version : Barry Sanders

J_V
12-02-2002, 08:19 PM
Barry Sanders was a great running back, and probably the most elusive football player ever. However, he severly hampered his team because he was not a plunge for 3-4 type of guy. He stalled many drives before he broke one long. The fact that he racked up so many losses hurt the lions. In fact, for my money there were always 2 rb's or more I would rather have had than barry.

Anyone know the real reason he quit by the way?

Clarkmeister
12-02-2002, 10:16 PM
I agree. I mentioned in the Vick thread that I wouldn't rank Sanders among the top 5 backs of all time largely for this very reason. For those interested, Jim Brown is the best, and its not close.

HDPM
12-02-2002, 11:56 PM
"For those interested, Jim Brown is the best, and its not close."

Totally agree with this. If you had to put together teams from all players who have ever played, Brown would easily be my #1 draft pick. Nobody dominated like he did. Give me him on offense and Butkus on defense, and the other team might all call in sick.

B-Man
12-03-2002, 02:21 PM
I'm not old enough to have seen Butkus play, but Lawrence Taylor is easily the best defensive player I have ever seen.

On offense, Jerry Rice is the best player ever, but I would rather have the best back than the best receiver, so I agree, Jim Brown would probably be my choice.

andyfox
12-03-2002, 04:21 PM
I agree on Jim Brown. He was also possible the greatest college lacrosse player ever. Dick Schaap once said he was playing goalie against him, and Brown took 4 shots: the first 3 he (Schaap) never saw as they went in for scores, and the 4th one hit him square between the eyes and knocked him over. That's how hard the guy shot. Fantastic athlete, the combination of speed, power and grace never approached in football since.

HDPM
12-03-2002, 05:48 PM
LT was great, but Butkus was a legend. LT had skills Butkus didn't have, but the intangibles go to Butkus. And Butkus was cool to me when I was a little kid. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Not sure I'd let my kids near LT.