PDA

View Full Version : 200K Party - 40 people left - range of hands???

freekobe
05-15-2005, 05:25 PM
What is your range to make this call?

Tight UTG goes all-in for TC 22,000. Blinds are 2K/4K. All fold to the BB who has approximately TC 65,000. BB needs 18,000 to call, or about 25-30% of his stack.

40 people left in the tournament, top 140 had paid.

What range of hands do you call UTG's all-in raise? Results to follow, though not really relevant.

Lloyd
05-15-2005, 06:00 PM
BB is getting about 1.5 to 1 to call and although it will take a decent chunk from his stack he still has enough chips to play if he loses.

First step is to put your opponent on a range of hands. Even though you say he's tight, he's still pretty shortstacked and about to pay the blinds so his range of hands to push is fairly broad. I'd put him on any pair, any two cards T or higher, A8 or higher, perhaps even any suited Ace.

Getting 1.5 to 1 odds, a call is justified if his hand is at least a 3-2 dog against the range we put him on. I'd call with any pair, any ace, KQ-KT, QJ, QTs-JTs.

Chief911
05-15-2005, 06:03 PM
Tight + UTG +/- Desperation of short stack about to lose 1/4th his stack.

AA/KK/AK/AQ/QQ/JJ is what I would put HIM on. So I'd have to have AA/KK/QQ/AK to call him.

No reason to risk alot of chips with anything else.

Nick

Lloyd
05-15-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tight + UTG +/- Desperation of short stack about to lose 1/4th his stack.

AA/KK/AK/AQ/QQ/JJ is what I would put HIM on. So I'd have to have AA/KK/QQ/AK to call him.

No reason to risk alot of chips with anything else.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow Nick. That's a pretty tight range. I base my range of hands on what I'd push with. I'm pretty tight as a general rule and would push with a lot more hands than that.