PDA

View Full Version : Moving from the kiddie pool

ABC7133
05-15-2005, 03:47 PM
I have a question for the 2/4 and 3/6 players out there, but first some background:

I have been playing in the kiddie pool (Party NL50) for a little over a year, showing a fairly consisent win rate.

Three months ago, I decided to move up limits, to the NL100 and NL100 6 max, where I promptly went on a heater. I felt I was playing well, but nothing that would justify these types of results. I was winning with set over set, calling J-J OOP position for set value and seeing J-5-2 rainbow flops, and stacking PF raisers, etc. I could do no wrong.

As bankroll was not an issue, I decided to try out the 1/2 game at Party where my win streak continued. I believe I was playing well, but as you guys always say, my sample size is too small.

Which brings me to my question: How much tougher is the 2/4, 3/6 game from the 1/2? Am I moving up too fast (I have about 5k hands at 1/2)? Bankroll is not an issue (I have a job), but I have no interest in being outclassed - rather learn and enter when ready.

Any advice from the many expirienced players on this forum would be appreciated.

Montana

Garland
05-15-2005, 03:59 PM
We all have our winning streaks. I moved from NL50->NL100->NL200->NL400. Most of the play is in no limit.

When I got to around the NL200 level, the play started to get somewhat tougher. Pot bets were the norm rather than minimum bets. I found more aggression at the NL400 game.

All in all, I've still had a consistent winrate as I moved up in limits. Part of it was getting some tools (Gametime+ and Pokertracker have been a Godsend). Part of it was paying more attention to my opponents and reading hands. Part of it was adjusting to table conditions and willing to get up/change from tight tables.

I think if you continue to do your homework, and you're willing to adapt, you'll do fine.

Garland

THATWACOKID
05-15-2005, 04:11 PM
ABC,

In my experience, the 100 nl to 400 nl on party are all pretty similar. The higher the stakes there are obviously going to be more good players, but there are A LOT of bad players at all of these levels. I've heard it gets more aggressive starting at the 600 nl. Hope this helps.

THATWACOKID
05-15-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(Gametime+ and Pokertracker have been a Godsend)

[/ QUOTE ]

creedofhubris
05-15-2005, 06:10 PM
If bankroll is not an issue, then just play some hands and see how it goes, would be my advice. Post hands that give you trouble.

Play tight at first.

kagame
05-16-2005, 01:13 AM
get out of the kiddy pool and start swimming with the sharks

Bill Fillmaff has a great free instructional video on this topic

http://www.planetstacked.com/fillmaff/

Richie Rich
05-16-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Which brings me to my question: How much tougher is the 2/4, 3/6 game from the 1/2?

[/ QUOTE ]
As you move up to each level, there are fewer mistakes/opportunities to capitalize on, which also happen to be more costly. Which also makes table selection even more important.

That being said, I think you have the right discipline, etc. to move up to 2/4 or 3/6. Don't swim in the kiddie pool too long.

MTBlue
05-16-2005, 03:20 AM
If you feel comfortable move up, but I would want a larger sample size than 5,000 hands. In my experience 5,000 hands the variance is very high and the other major issue is that 2/4 games in general are considerably tougher and every mistake made in 2/4 is twice as damaging to your bankroll as one made at 1/2. WarlockJD suggested logging 30,000 hands at each level with a winrate of 5+ pt bb/100. I agree with him. Best of Luck.

kagame
05-16-2005, 03:35 AM
bump promo video

ABC7133
05-16-2005, 02:55 PM
I just want to thank everyone for their advice. I'm going to log another 5K at 1/2 and which point I will begin losing to you all at 2/4 and above.

Thanks again.

Montana

DaveduFresne
05-16-2005, 03:19 PM
I have moved from micro to mid stakes (400 NL) and I would say that bad players are basically bad players whatever limits you play. I think the main difference you will find is more good players, and a greater sophistication of the good players as you move up.

Good players at low limits basically just play tight, and don't put a lot of moves on. Good players at mid limits are better at putting you on a hand, and getting the maximum amount of chips out of you as they can based on their read. You will encounter a lot more weak leads, blocking bets, checkraises with nothing when they read you to be weak etc. You yourself will also need to be more tricky, as a lot of good players aren't going to just call your potsized bets to the river when you have a set unless you confuse them a bit. You also are going to need to learn to lay down very good hands against certain opponents, and knowing your opponents tendencies are key as you advance.

When I was playing 50 NL I was watching TV, chatting, talking on the phone, and still crushing the tables. Now that I play low mid limits I need to give my tables my full attention to win.

Personally what I would reccomend for you is to get 20X buy in for the next limit before moving there. If you lose 10 buy ins move back down.

If you were playing for a living I would recommend even more, but even as an employed person you don't want your job to be paying for your poker.

These bankroll recommendations should ensure that most likely you won't go broke.

Good luck!

David