PDA

View Full Version : Is this pot big enough?

Buccaneer
05-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Table had just filled up. No reads that I was comfortable making decisions on yet. Generalized passiveness. No real maniac like play.

Here we go:
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (12.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

My plan was to build pot and and bet with some agression and fold if something convinced me if I was beat. My plan was left behind when MP3 3 bet. He dragged a pot or two earlier with a big bet earlier but I had seen him fold after a large bet. I felt that the best decision would be to see the flop and see if my hand would hold up. Should I have been more agressive, less, or did I do as best I could. Honestly I could not put him on any hand at the time but think now he was playing a med pair.

Let me know what you think please.

MrWookie47
05-15-2005, 02:36 PM
You gotta cap that preflop. That should be a no-brainer. Three-bet the turn. You'll see QQ-JJ or a stupidly played AK often enough compared to AA and TT. There are no other hands you should be afraid of from MP3.

Folding should be the last thing that you're thinking about in this hand. It would take a lot of convincing, and even then you might want to call down instead of folding.

kapw7
05-15-2005, 02:37 PM
What's the reason not to cap PF with KK? No reason that I can see.
I would 3-bet the turn to punish a possible semi-bluff and face UTG+1 with cold calling a flush draw or a pair of tens.

Would it be a good idea to check the river to induce a bluff bet by a busted draw or a pair of tens that put us on a draw?

afk
05-15-2005, 02:41 PM
What is your reasoning behind the turn-river stop and go?

Also: cap preflop.

MrWookie47
05-15-2005, 02:42 PM
No, this is an easy river bet. If it was HU, you could maybe go for inducing a bluff. However, with UTG+1 in there who's done nothing but call, it's likely he'll call one more. He makes it all the worse to have this river checked through.

OrianasDaad
05-15-2005, 02:43 PM
-Cap pre-flop.
-Flop is fine.
-3-bet turn, call down if capped.
-Just fine on the river.

What hands do you have to worry about? AA and TT. 55, 33, A4 and 46 are unlikely give the 3-bet pre-flop. You beat everything else.

I put villian on big cards, mabye AK or AQ, probably with a flush draw.

You should play this much more aggressively to extract more money from the calling station (UTG+1), or get him to fold.

Yako
05-15-2005, 03:07 PM
`blind post`
I hope you had a good reason for not capping preflop. At any rate, I thank you for leaving an extra SB in that guy's account so that it might eventually end up in a pot that I scoop. :P

Your river bet is weird... What are you hoping to accomplish? If op has a better hand that yours, he raises, and you lose 1 extra BB than check/calling. If his turn raise was a bluff, he folds, and you gain nothing. IF you check, he might bluff again, and you win 1 BB. Worse case scenario is you check and he checks with a hand he would have called with, such as AT or something.

parappa
05-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Way too weak here. Definitely cap preflop. The only hand that you need to be scared of is AA, and you can never give anyone credit for that before the flop.

The flop is excellent for you. The only reasonable 3-betting hands that you're behind to are TT and AA. You're going to get lots of action from JJ and QQ here. Good bet.

The turn raise would worry me a bit, if you read villain as a good player. Because villain is unknown to me, I would just call here and check/call the river, but I think given this sequence that if I were in this situation with him again, I'd 3-bet this turn.

kapw7
05-15-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, this is an easy river bet. If it was HU, you could maybe go for inducing a bluff. However, with UTG+1 in there who's done nothing but call, it's likely he'll call one more. He makes it all the worse to have this river checked through.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a mistake and I would play it to differentiate my river play so the next time I check the river I won't be automatically bet. But I have to agree with you it is not the standard play. I think.

Buccaneer
05-15-2005, 07:06 PM
I am going to go to my room and repeat 100 times :"you must cap preflop with KK"

You guys didn't slap me around like I was due. I got to quit playing like a girlie man.

aK13
05-15-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am going to go to my room and repeat 100 times :"you must cap preflop with KK"

You guys didn't slap me around like I was due. I got to quit playing like a girlie man.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were playing No-Limit, and somebody went All-in preflop, would you fold KK? If the answer is yes, we're playing some $1000 HU NL games. Otherwise, this is the exact same situation as your hand.

Chex
05-16-2005, 02:37 AM
Well you need to cap PF, 3-bet turn. You missed a couple bets.

macdaddy991
05-16-2005, 02:49 AM
cap pre flop, 3 bet turn and if capped then maybe think about calling down, what are you afraid of pre flop? AA?

bottomset
05-16-2005, 05:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this pot big enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I hope you never seriously think about that when it deciding to bet or now(in a situation like this)

solring
05-26-2005, 12:40 PM
Since Hero didn't cap pre-flop, would a check-raise on the flop be in order?

Grail
05-26-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DAMN IT! CAP KK PREFLOP YOU WUSS!

That better? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-G

davelin
05-26-2005, 12:57 PM
I don't really like this hand. Cap pre-flop. Hate your turn/river action.

Fantam
05-26-2005, 01:15 PM
You seem to have played this hand pretty well.

You could possibly have capped PF. Other than that, the next question was whether to 3-bet the turn or not.

I would not have felt comfortable with 3-betting the turn though, because MP3 had shown a lot of agression by 3-betting PF and raising on the turn, and could have had AA.

I would then have checked and called on the river for the same reason stated above.

My question to you though is, if you were going to the bet the river (presumably unless a 4 fell), why didnt you 3-bet the turn also? Then your river bet would have made more sense to me.

By the way, your play won you more bets than my line.

Aaron W.
05-26-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My plan was to build pot and and bet with some agression ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didn't you cap preflop?

[ QUOTE ]
and fold if something convinced me if I was beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding should generally *NOT* be part of the plan with KK until (at the minimum) you see an ace on the board or the action is capped by someone other than you. In context, it sounds like you're talking about this as part fo your preflop thinking, which is very very bad.

[ QUOTE ]
My plan was left behind when MP3 3 bet. He dragged a pot or two earlier with a big bet earlier but I had seen him fold after a large bet. I felt that the best decision would be to see the flop and see if my hand would hold up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is that context that I'm talking about. This is ultra-weak-tight thinking. The only way MP3's bet tells you you're beat is if he will ONLY 3-bet AA. Against everything else, you're a big favorite.

[ QUOTE ]
Let me know what you think please.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to be more confident in these big hands.

Walker
05-26-2005, 10:03 PM
I cap pre-flop for sure.

The way you played it, I think you should call the turn and check to him on the river. He's representing a straight or set so I think checking might induce a bluff if your ahead, and it saves you a bet if your behind. Definitely call this one down though.
Re-raise the turn against a maniac?

irishpint
05-26-2005, 10:48 PM
this is a really good flop for you- id be more worried about the calling station that the other guy, since the calling station could have hit a low pair and be looking to double up or make 3 of a kind. the pf raiser (you know by now to cap this pf) is not playing this like AA and you have everything else beat. i think i 3bet the turn because you're behind 1 hand that hed 3bet pf.