PDA

View Full Version : are maniacs are just higher stakes players...

therockofgibraltar
05-15-2005, 11:12 AM
blowing off steam?

Today I was playing in a very good 0.5/1 game. There were this one guy who played every two starting hands and ALWAYS raised with them. And I mean always. Well, I just waited reasonable hands and three bet to get HU.

Well, I was up about 25-30BB (almost all from him) when he left! Bummer! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Of course I did a player search, so that I could play with him again and he was now sitting in a 2/4. I took a look and noticed that he didn't play like a maniac anymore. Sure he was still seeing every hand (look about 10 hands before I left) but he wasn't raising anymore.

That make me think. How many of these low limit maniacs are actually higher limit players such fooling around?

Bradyams
05-15-2005, 11:31 AM
For some reason I always find a few people on my fish list playing 2/4, 5/10, $100 tournies, and I even found one playing 15/30.

AlmightyJay
05-15-2005, 12:20 PM
Yesterday I was playing a little .04/.08 Stud hi/lo on Stars, and there was a player literally betting and raising every single street, regardless of his hand. This was as pure a maniac as it possibly gets. The funny thing is, he was winning. But he kept chatting, and his chat was completely normal, even using correct capitalization. He kept saying, "I know I'm playing stupidly, I'm just raising everything, no idea why I'm winning" etc.

Turns out he was actually a much higher stake stud hi/lo player, just blowing off steam at the low game.

k000k
05-15-2005, 12:26 PM
That happens, get a nice seat on the guy's right, let him bet all your good hands for you, trap and checkraise the whole field whenever you hit. Limp-reraise anything you want to go 3-4 bets preflop to suck a lot of players into the hand.

Webster
05-15-2005, 12:37 PM
I've seen this - I was on a 1/2 table and this guy lost 200 in about 40 hands before he left. I look for him and he is now playing short handed 5/10.

I figure he was playing short handed stratagy at a ring game and it was not working.

Grinders Warehouse BLOG Edition (http://grinderswarehouse.com)

PokerCat69
05-15-2005, 01:27 PM
When I played on pokerstars I was guilty of doing this.
After a few beers, I would play 5NL for fun, and not risk my bankroll by playing 25 or 50NL games.