PDA

View Full Version : HPFAP exercise

oreogod
05-15-2005, 08:04 AM
So Im reading HPFAP, obviously this book is geared to the thinking types and there are some good ideas in it and some others that seem a little tight (well compared to SSHE standards and for good reason) but probably good. Anyway, maybe this exercise is dumb (as in simple, but Im really curious to the forums response), but here goes.

Pot is many-handed u get a free play in the blinds with:

7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

FLOP IS:

7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

(You check planning to check-raise, but no one bets.)
TURN IS: Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

(again u check planning to check raise. This time one player does bet, another calls and you check raise, limiting the pot to just the three of you).

RIVER: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Alright, good sized pot. You are first to act, whats your play and based on action what do u do???

JoshuaD
05-15-2005, 08:09 AM
check/fold or bet/fold. Dunno which is better, reads are really helpful.

What's with the turn check-raise attempt?

oreogod
05-15-2005, 08:14 AM
Its a book example...I probably bet the turn after a failed flop CR.

JoshuaD
05-15-2005, 08:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I'm trying to figure out if it's right to go for that check raise again or if we're "taking over" for a bad player.

cmwck
05-15-2005, 08:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah there is some seemingly passive advice in that book, which I don't understand.

Why does it recommend to try for a check raise after the first one whiffed? What if the bet comes from late position? What if it comes from early position? What if there is no bet at all?

What page is that example from? Maybe I have to read it in context to make any sense of it.

mongoose51
05-15-2005, 10:06 AM
On the flop you need be fairly sure that someone behind you hopefully in late position will bet for the C/R to be correct. Player reads help here.

If it is checked through on the flop I would lead on the turn, if the Q hits someone they might raise and u can 3 bet it.

A bet and a call on the turn points to someone having a Q on this board.

On the river I check/call one bet fold if it is bet raised to me.

admiralfluff
05-15-2005, 10:56 AM
I think going for the turn checkraise after the whiffed flop is probably ok in a lot of games. It really depends on reads IMO.

I would bet fold this.

cmwck
05-15-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think going for the turn checkraise after the whiffed flop is probably ok in a lot of games. It really depends on reads IMO.

I would bet fold this.

[/ QUOTE ]

HPFAP's target game is a 10/20 one where people are playing pretty tight, and there are usually good players in the game.

Maybe checking the turn again works because of the increased frequency of semi-bluff type bets?

I still have a problem with the fact that you won't know where the bet will come from. Are we not supposed to care in this 72o example?

That guy
05-15-2005, 11:45 AM
on unraised round pre-flop... I will definitely bet this flop... getting counterfeited sucks so someone with pocket pair must pay to stay... with no PFR, this gets checked through a lot...

betting flop changes this too much to comment on river action. if I did play it like book, I think I check-call and potentially check-fold... who is going to pay off your bet unless they have you beat? at least you can induce a bluff...