PDA

View Full Version : Overaggressive?

DasLeben
05-15-2005, 03:03 AM
I've been working on really stepping up my aggression with high blinds and taking advantage of every +EV opportunity that comes my way, but is this overdoing it? Both the blinds were reasonably tight players whom I'd assume would call with AT+, 55+.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP1 (t765)
MP2 (t2205)
CO (t1957)
Hero (t1470)
SB (t435)
BB (t977)
UTG (t191)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises t1320 (all-in)</font>

Nottom
05-15-2005, 03:05 AM
If you think that is their calling range this is probably fine.

I think the SB in particular won't be so picky.

oxymoron
05-15-2005, 03:12 AM
I too have been working on my aggression. The other day I noticed someone kept stealing blinds and when everyone folded to him on the button he raised 3BB, small blind folds and I have 52o. I raise all-in with 2k chips and villian has 2500 chips. He folds. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I was afraid he had something though.

treeofwisdom7
05-15-2005, 03:39 AM
if i was the SB i would call with just about any two cards... but maybe i should push more often A10 and 55+

DasLeben
05-15-2005, 03:43 AM
SB was a large factor, but he was content with holding on for dear life while waiting for a hand. He didn't concern me as much as BB.

deathpotato
05-15-2005, 03:44 AM
This is quite close assuming they will both only call with AT+/55+, and SB will almost certainly call far more often than that. I fold here.

Edit: he may be holding on for dear life, but in my experience he will still almost certainly call with KT+, almost any ace, and any pair. But maybe I'm wrong.

lorinda
05-15-2005, 03:55 AM
Both the blinds were reasonably tight players whom I'd assume would call with AT+, 55+.

What will their range be next time around if you raise now?, and how about two rounds later when the blinds are actually worth stealing?

Your opponents range is like an elastic band, you can stretch it only so far before it breaks.

Lori

curtains
05-15-2005, 03:56 AM
Yea no way I do this here.

microbet
05-15-2005, 03:58 AM
It is +$EV with:

SB calling with 22+, A2+, KQ, KJs
BB calling with 22+, A9+, KQs

so probably a good push. I usually wouldn't have done it, but I should probably start. If I had pushed a few times already though, it might loosen them up too much.

Maulik
05-15-2005, 04:05 AM
I wouldn't do it here's why. When you look to exploit every EV+ you possibly can score, you're likely to find them loosening their calling hands and you'll be way behind. Also, the more you push the sooner you'll run into a big hand. Still be aggressive, but not every time.

example: suppose I just pushed 88 6 handed utg+2 lvl 4. Now I pick up 77, I may fold here so I'm not appearing to overly aggressive, perhaps this isn't the best example but think of A9 or K10 o or whatever. Many times, I'll fold what I would have pushed even if its stronger than the last hand I pushed.

microbet
05-15-2005, 04:09 AM
You're probably right, but just for arguments sake:

If they fold, his hand doesn't matter very much.

If their calling standards are still high, there's not a big diff between a medium hand and a bad hand.

150 is worth stealing and when the blinds move up it will be hard to steal from the shorter stacks.

microbet
05-15-2005, 04:11 AM
Yeah, things like that happen to me all time.

But, it also happens that I get a bunch of crummy hands in a row and wish I pushed the crummy one where I was in position.

Maulik
05-15-2005, 04:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, things like that happen to me all time.

But, it also happens that I get a bunch of crummy hands in a row and wish I pushed the crummy one where I was in position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing in position is SUPER important. I value this above all else. Bear in mind, we don't want a showdown, we simply want to steal blinds. So, if someone does call your 34o push, you're seeing a flop, of course you can win, but bottom line let's avoid this.

Again, push often, but this seems like its too much.

microbet
05-15-2005, 04:27 AM
Probably. It's close and the table could affect the decision. For instance, if people were constantly raising (and few are calling) so you almost never get the opportunity to be first in. Or maybe if you've shown down a couple big hands recently.

Also it is prefaced on them being fairly tight.

I guess you guys are probably right anyway. You guys on the east coast should go to sleep or something. I am.

DasLeben
05-15-2005, 05:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't do it here's why. When you look to exploit every EV+ you possibly can score, you're likely to find them loosening their calling hands and you'll be way behind. Also, the more you push the sooner you'll run into a big hand. Still be aggressive, but not every time.

example: suppose I just pushed 88 6 handed utg+2 lvl 4. Now I pick up 77, I may fold here so I'm not appearing to overly aggressive, perhaps this isn't the best example but think of A9 or K10 o or whatever. Many times, I'll fold what I would have pushed even if its stronger than the last hand I pushed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree with this to an extent, actually. However, when I say that I'm taking advantage of every +EV opportunity, I am taking their calling requirements into consideration. The more and more I push, I recognize that their calling requirements go down, and have to adjust as such. But, when there is a considerably smaller stack out, I'll still push into him with any two, as that is almost always +EV with high blinds.

I do agree that the fact that their calling standards will start to decrease is a solid reasoning for folding here. This is a +EV move, however, I think I'm giving up too much FE for t150 instead of waiting for when I can pick up t300 or more.

Anyways, thanks for the good discussion.

The Yugoslavian
05-15-2005, 06:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Both the blinds were reasonably tight players whom I'd assume would call with AT+, 55+.

What will their range be next time around if you raise now?, and how about two rounds later when the blinds are actually worth stealing?

Your opponents range is like an elastic band, you can stretch it only so far before it breaks.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeap..that's pretty much what I was thinking as well as:
T
he general risk/reward ratio of your stack compared to the blinds is laying you here. You are in no danger of losing your FE immediately here to make marginal (at best) pushes. This is why the blinds shouldn't be too significant to you atm.

Also, you said something about 'assuming' reasonable players. Well, guess what? They won't be. Many players will have the range you stated, but many won't. If you have played with them enough to know their range....then by all means push if they're v tight with those stacks in that situation (I doubt SB will be too picky if he sees a hand he likes).

Yugoslav

shejk
05-15-2005, 06:17 AM
Yeah I'd push this too, but it's borderline. Were it 24 or 36 I'd probably fold.

bigredlemon
05-15-2005, 06:52 AM
why not raise to t250? You'll pretty much force them to play for all their stack without much risk to yours. They'll still need a strong hand to call given their position and stack size.

curtains
05-15-2005, 07:07 AM
Yes, with a hand this weak I'd rather make a smaller raise than allin. However I'd rather make no raise at all here.