PDA

View Full Version : Minraises are killing me.

nebben
05-15-2005, 02:35 AM
What do you do with minraises? They absolutely kill me. I know a lot of people use them to entice you to get more money into the pot, but I just can't bring myself to fold most of my top pairs to minrasies. If they follow up with a bigger raise or bet on the next street, ill usually fold. Is there a default way to handle these (assume 100 BB) with average pot size of maybe 20 BB .

AlexMR
05-15-2005, 02:46 AM
Min raises are killers!! It s not only you, itīs to everyone who doesnt respect them! First of all, I dont think there is a rule as you are asking. The main issue here is who is doing it. If it is the rock who minraises, then TPTK is trash. If it is a maniac you have to call or reraise but be careful, they do get monsters and two pairs, sets and all that. Overall the best move on that situation could be fold, but be careful because you dont want to be the guy who is out of the way with a min raise. You have to know your opponents to make the right decision.

Gustavo
05-15-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you do with minraises? They absolutely kill me. I know a lot of people use them to entice you to get more money into the pot, but I just can't bring myself to fold most of my top pairs to minrasies. If they follow up with a bigger raise or bet on the next street, ill usually fold. Is there a default way to handle these (assume 100 BB) with average pot size of maybe 20 BB .

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting , i have the exact same problem

Tuben
05-15-2005, 09:39 AM
If it is preflop i play the same as a normal raise.
And o the flop i play the same as an normal bet i realy dont care if the minirise or make an normal bet i play the same way if i think i have the best hand i might rerasie or call ? But i might want to make rerasies preflop aginst a miniriase to isolate but in normal case i play aginst them as a normal bet .

Ghazban
05-15-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you know the player and know that you are likely to face a big bet on the next street after the minraise, think about your outs. If you just have TPTK on the flop, you're drawing almost dead to a set and fairly thin to two-pair. If you are having a hard time coming up with a turn card that could make you want to call the big bet you'll face then, just fold to the minraise.

On the other hand, if you're semibluffing a flush draw or something, a minraise gives you great odds to see one more card so call it and, if you miss your draw on the turn, you again have a fairly simple math problem to determine whether or not you should call a bet there.

If the opponent will minraise draws as well as made hands, the problem is more difficult as you will need to determine the relative likelihoods of his holdings (draws, sets, overpairs, bluffs, etc.) prior to making your decision.

Godfather80
05-15-2005, 12:47 PM
I think, as others have stated, they are very player dependent. Coming from a typical conservative player, they are a screaming fire engine red flag that you must heed and proceed with extreme caution if you don't fold immediately. Coming from a typical aggressive or superaggressive player, they are less intimidating because they don't mean powerhouse as often.

Against intelligent players who can change gears and min-raise with powerhouses and medium strength hands, you probably need to search for greener pastures as these players will give you fits. Therefore, you should become one of them in games with observant opponents.