PDA

View Full Version : Do you look at results while playing?

FishHooks
05-15-2005, 02:21 AM
Today was the first time i've never really looked at results while playing, and by results I mean clicking on cashier and then seeing where I'm at money wise. However at the end of my session I look and i'm down 100BB over 800 hands, of course my won when saw flop % was only 20%. However when I got done it didn't bother me too much, because I know there wasn't much I could do with the river flooding me today. First of all is that swimg normal in that amount of hands, and do you think its much more beneficial to not look at your cashier while your playing? 1/2 has been so frustration for me over 25k hands at it and i'm down like 100BB while I still have leaks and all that stuff, my game is pretty good, agression over 3 pfr over 8, just frustrating. Another question for people who have played a lot of hands, what the longest dry spell you've had?

MrVanDresen
05-15-2005, 02:32 AM
BLAH BLAH BLAH

OrianasDaad
05-15-2005, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
BLAH BLAH BLAH

[/ QUOTE ]

How insightful.

In short, it isn't a good idea to be results-oriented.

Remind yourself how you make money playing poker (+EV decisions) and the answers to your questions become unimportant.

SoftcoreRevolt
05-15-2005, 03:07 AM
I don't like I do it, but I do it quite a bit... sigh.

KKbluff
05-15-2005, 03:09 AM
I wouldn’t fret too much over 800 hands and a 100BB downswing. 8000 hands and maybe we would have a problem, but if you are making solid +EV plays I wouldn’t deviate from your standard play.

IronDragon1
05-15-2005, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
BLAH BLAH BLAH

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry this isn't about the newest Party/Empire reload annoying bastard

Corey
05-15-2005, 03:20 AM
Looking at your results is the only way to get through ADHOC. Otherwise I would question why I've played for the last 14 hours straight.

In seriousness, I try my hardest not to look at the cashier while playing. I find it to be highly -EV. If I'm up big, I tend to want to quit, even if I'm in a great game. I'm I'm down, I usually tend to over tighten may game in an effort not to lose more. When I don't look, I maxmize my EV (which isn't very high to begin with).

timprov
05-15-2005, 03:21 AM
All the time, and I don't feel bad about it, either (though I do it at the tables in my head rather than the cashier). How do you people who don't look at results and multitable keep track of your table images? I guarantee the fish are looking at your results. It may not be the most important thing, but it does change how people react to you. (And of course knowing to rebuy or leave when you have <12BB is important.)

I don't worry about them. But not paying attention would drive me nuts. Besides, swings are pretty.

Vern
05-15-2005, 03:32 AM
I set up PT to show my results for the last 4 weeks or so, 10K+hands, and then whenever I feel like checking, I can look at more long term results.

Vern

edge
05-15-2005, 04:29 AM
I do it all the time. I constantly check GT+, which gives me an exact readout of how much I'm stuck. That way I can tilt if I'm below even (and often do). Definitely not optimal, but that's how I do it.

FishHooks
05-15-2005, 11:52 AM
I think i do exactly the same thing as you, when I find i'm down or up.

smoore
05-15-2005, 01:20 PM
I used to, constantly. I knew it was a poor practice but I did it anyway. Then I logged a couple months on eurobet where it's a holy PITA to get to the cashier... Now I never look during a session (no matter the site) but I always look when I'm done for the session. I will, of course, catch a glance of "total bankroll" when I'm switching tables. I'm much happier.

iluzion
05-15-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looking at your results is the only way to get through ADHOC. Otherwise I would question why I've played for the last 14 hours straight.

In seriousness, I try my hardest not to look at the cashier while playing. I find it to be highly -EV. If I'm up big, I tend to want to quit, even if I'm in a great game. I'm I'm down, I usually tend to over tighten may game in an effort not to lose more. When I don't look, I maxmize my EV (which isn't very high to begin with).

[/ QUOTE ]

What is ADHOC?

FishHooks
05-15-2005, 03:09 PM
Yea I started playing at eurobet also, and thats why I didn't look at the cashier.

Corey
05-15-2005, 03:25 PM
My ADHOC Adventure (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2394994&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#Post2400205)

Bison explaining ADHOC (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1415905&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=7&o=14&fpart=all&vc=1)

Alobar
05-15-2005, 03:41 PM
I stopped looking at my balance all together a few days ago. I've never played as good as I am playing right now. I think there is a relation. Im not sweating where im at anymore, how much im down, or how much im up. I have ZERO clue what my balance is right now, im just playing the cards.

astarck
05-15-2005, 04:58 PM
I look at my account balance but only because I'm trying to move up in levels. I feel I have the skill for the new level, its now just a matter of bankroll. This all means I need to know how much I have in there in order to take shots.

JrJordan
05-15-2005, 05:53 PM
I have a compromise with myself right now. I have PT running because I like to see how many hands I've played, but I put the autoimport window over my results so I can't see it. Then, at all the tables I buy in for the regular amount plus some random extra number so I can't keep track how each table is doing. Eventually I'd like to get to Alobar's point where I don't look at my results for days at a time... taking baby steps though.

Siegmund
05-15-2005, 07:08 PM
Um... forgive me for being dense here, but...

You know how much you bought in for at each table. Your current chip count is right next to your name at each table.
It is impossible NOT to know exactly where you are at at all times, unless you are blind, deaf, insane, AND ignoring the voices in your head.

Not letting the information unduly influence your decisions is good, sure ... go ahead and try to tune it out if you find it is distracting ... but seriously - how can you not know, even if you don't want to know???

2easy
05-15-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It is impossible NOT to know exactly where you are at at all times, unless you are blind, deaf, insane, AND ignoring the voices in your head.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you have ever 12 tabled while playing 4 sites and differing limits, i dont think you would make this type of myopic statement.

FishHooks
05-15-2005, 07:54 PM
If you know anything about table selection, most people are switching tables when the table gets too tight. I switch one of my many tables at least once ever 10 min or so, and playing for many hours at a time, its impossible to remember what you were at during all those tables you left.

mcozzy1
05-15-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I look at my account balance but only because I'm trying to move up in levels. I feel I have the skill for the new level, its now just a matter of bankroll. This all means I need to know how much I have in there in order to take shots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the OP is talking about knowing where you're at within a particular session. I think everyone checks (and probably records) their sessions when they're done.

I find it difficult not to do. I always have a ballpark figure of where I'm at. I conscious try NOT to know where I am, but I can't help but know. When I log out of a game to find a better table, I see that I'm 10 BBs down or whatever; and that figure just sticks in my head.

It's a tough line to straddle. On one hand, it makes playing much more interesting if you follow your money. On the other hand, if you never know where you're at in terms of money, it's easier to make detached decisions and not go on tilt.

Alobar
05-15-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You know how much you bought in for at each table. Your current chip count is right next to your name at each table.

Not letting the information unduly influence your decisions is good, sure ... go ahead and try to tune it out if you find it is distracting ... but seriously - how can you not know, even if you don't want to know???

[/ QUOTE ]

well the voices in my head never tell me the truth anyway, so it doesnt matter /images/graemlins/smile.gif

It doesnt take long into a session before I lose track of where Im at. I 4 table, and prolly every 15 minutes or so one table dies and I open a new one.

Obviously I know if Im really winning in a session or really losing in a session, but I could tell you that even if no numbers were listed. I mean you can just tell. But unless im up huge, or down huge, its really easy to not know. And even if Im down huge or up huge, it still doesnt affect me much beacuase I have no idea what my bakroll is at.

Nick-Zack
05-15-2005, 10:39 PM
This is a very interesting thought that I will have to digest. I have always kept very close track of where I am at money wise, both online and B&M. In order to not keep track I would have to change the way I keep records. Now I start each table with 20BB's and move the same amount with me when changing tables (ie. I leave one table with $342 and sit at the next with $342.)

Siegmund
05-16-2005, 04:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you have ever 12 tabled while playing 4 sites and differing limits, i dont think you would make this type of myopic statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

12-tabling at 4 sites would certainly cover insane, I'll grant that much. If you're trying to do 12 tables all overlapped on one monitor, you'd be pretty much blind, too.

As it gets up past 4 tables, yes, your mental image of where you're at will cease to be precise down to the last dollar. But even if you're spread across two monitors... if you've got the 4 or 8 or however many numbers staring you in the face, is it really possible for people to not know what the sum is? Now if the numbers are there on your screen and you're not seeing them... welll... aha, 'myopic' does come into it somewhere!

YMMV, I guess... but for some of us there's just no such thing as seeing a series of anywhere from 2 to 10 numbers in succession and NOT having a very close sense of what their sum is.

[ QUOTE ]

If you know anything about table selection, most people are switching tables when the table gets too tight. I switch one of my many tables at least once ever 10 min or so, and playing for many hours at a time, its impossible to remember what you were at during all those tables you left.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't be the ONLY person who religiously writes down the time he closes a table and how much money he leaves with, can I? Or do you Pokertracker folk not keep ANY notes on paper or in Notepad?

If this is kept track of only behind-the-scenes, then yes, I'll admit you will only know for sure where you're at on the open tables, and have just a general sense of the others.

dibbs
05-16-2005, 05:24 AM
I used to alllllll the time, now I do it very rarely. While I don't think it's a horrible thing, it was and to some extent still is a hole in my game. It wasn't always super obvious or anything, but if I knew I was down a lot I'd soft steam, like really really softly steam, and while I never played awful I'd have this little drive in the back of my head to make up for the lost money, which would result in me doing little stupid things to sometimes huge stupid things. For me, playing as if I had an infinite bankroll and the results dont matter, only making the right move matters will have the best earn in the long run. Im still working on it though. Not a problem for many though Im sure.