PDA

View Full Version : What to do when your masterful trap play works too well?

Harv72b
05-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Final stages of the Party 10+1 $2,000 guaranteed earlier today. We've just broken down to 3 tables & guaranteed money, this is my first hand at the new table. I've been keeping one eye on the big stack (tournament chip leader) for the past hour, and have seem him overbetting the pot very often...not sure if it's him trying to buy pots or if he just doesn't understand how to bet for value (or both).

So what the hell do I do here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t5571)
SB (t12280)
BB (t13622)
UTG (t2059)
Hero (t16187)
MP1 (t4126)
MP2 (t9020)
MP3 (t6390)
CO (t43066)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls [t2059] , Hero calls t2059, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls t2059, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (t5018) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t14800</font>, Hero...?

Obviously, that bet is putting me all in if I call it. Better to have just pushed preflop?

mts
05-14-2005, 11:33 PM
what do you think he has? 2 pair? I call pretty damn fast. Were you trying to check raise the flop or something? Checking is bad here, no?

woodguy
05-14-2005, 11:37 PM
So you flat called PF and got lucky when a K hit the flop, and got even luckier that your opponent has bet into you, and now you don't want to call?

Why did you get involved with the hand if you are not going to the felt with this flop?

Regards,
Woodguy

Harv72b
05-14-2005, 11:41 PM
I figured that if I bet the flop &amp; he had nothing or even a medium PP (that's what I put him on when he called preflop), he'd probably fold. But if I checked to him, he might bet...but when he bets the size of my stack, that opens up another can of worms--I was expecting something more along the lines of the size of the pot.

Now I'm worried about a slowplayed AA, or 55/99. Or of course he could be bluffing his underpair or betting another AK.

Harv72b
05-14-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why did you get involved with the hand if you are not going to the felt with this flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I flopped TPTK; if that's good, yay me. But when I enter the hand 2nd or 3rd (don't remember exactly which) on the leader board in chips &amp; will still be in the top 5 if I fold here, is TPTK worth risking the rest of my tournament? I'm genuinely asking...it's a very, very tough fold to make, but is it ever the correct one?

Jurollo
05-15-2005, 12:07 AM
Could be 99, AKs or a ton of things you beat like JJ, TT, KQ, Flush draw, etc, etc. Get your chips in as fast as you can.
~Justin

Harv72b
05-15-2005, 12:17 AM
Okay, okay....I did call instantaneously, only to be shown 99 by the CO (and as a bonus, UTG went all in with K5s &amp; flopped two pair). Thinking about the hand afterwards I felt like I should have at least hesitated before putting 3 hrs of work on the line with TPTK. I do feel better that the overwhelming consensus here seems to be that I made the right play. So thanks. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

FWIW, based on what I'd observed of CO he would've called with his nines if I'd pushed behind UTG preflop, too.

Superfluous Man
05-15-2005, 12:29 AM
I instacall. It's just too likely he has KQ, KJ, QQ-TT, or a 4-flush. If you're not willing to make this call with TPTK against the chip leader, when doubling up will make you a monster stack that can steal with impunity and have a great shot at the big money, why even bother playing AK in the first place?

Bataglin
05-15-2005, 07:22 AM
This is a 10+1, and your opponent do not sound very experienced. This is a very good situation for you. TAKE IT! Easy call.

PrayingMantis
05-15-2005, 07:59 AM
Your PF action is not very clear to me, I don't really think it's a masterful plan since pepole might call behind with all kinds of hands and AKo is not something you generally want to see flops with. Actually there are very very few hands you might want to "trap" with like that PF, I woudn't necessarily put AKo with them in most cases, unless you are anticipating a loose reraise from behind.

But since that's what you did, flat calling, and getting CO to come along, this is the perfect flop for you. Getting action from CO on such a flopt is what you were looking for. Tough break for you maybe, but folding this now is terrible.