PDA

View Full Version : Computer people: help me set up an FTP!

CallMeIshmael
05-14-2005, 11:07 PM
Hey all...

I am trying to set up an FTP so several twoplustwoers can leech some stuff off of me.

I have downloaded Nofeel and Ipswitch FTP servers, and I cant get it to work.

The problem (I think) is that I cant seem to set it up with a non-private IP address.

Can anyone give me a hand as to what to do here?

Freakin
05-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Do you have a router? That is likely the problem.

Access your router, and find a section for "Port Forwarding" or "Applications". In here, you will be able to forward incoming traffic to your machine so that a request for a FTP server will be recognized. You'll need to set it so that the port range is from 21 to 21 (cause FTP is on port 21), use both UDP & TCP if you have options to select that, and forward it to your local computers IP address (get this by going to start->run, type cmd and run it, then type ipconfig in teh command prompt. Your IP address will be something like 192.168.1.100)

If you are still having problems, then it is likely a configuration issue with the FTP server.

Freakin

CallMeIshmael
05-14-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have a router? That is likely the problem.

Access your router, and find a section for "Port Forwarding" or "Applications". In here, you will be able to forward incoming traffic to your machine so that a request for a FTP server will be recognized. You'll need to set it so that the port range is from 21 to 21 (cause FTP is on port 21), use both UDP & TCP if you have options to select that, and forward it to your local computers IP address (get this by going to start->run, type cmd and run it, then type ipconfig in teh command prompt. Your IP address will be something like 192.168.1.100)

If you are still having problems, then it is likely a configuration issue with the FTP server.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

I do have a router. I'll give this a try tomorrow. Thanks a lot dude.

istewart
05-14-2005, 11:59 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vince Young
05-15-2005, 12:08 AM
What a crazy name you have.

CallMeIshmael
05-15-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What a crazy name you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not as crazy as this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2398171&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1) guys name!

(Istewart, I am on to you!)

captZEEbo1
05-15-2005, 12:41 AM
I recommend trying this program:
Quick 'n Easy FTP Server (http://www.download.com/Quick-n-Easy-FTP-Server/3000-2165_4-10331730.html)

I found it to be fairly simple, free, and able to do many of the basic things you'd want an ftp server to do.

I've heard SERV-U ftp is supposed to be really good though.