PDA

View Full Version : All your limps are belong to me?

jeffraider
05-14-2005, 10:48 PM
yu0 liek ^_^ ^_^ ???

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t1115)
Hero (t1295)
SB (t1200)
BB (t945)
UTG (t1245)
MP1 (t1555)
MP2 (t645)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t50, CO calls t50, Hero is ALL-IN

DasLeben
05-14-2005, 10:56 PM
A little strong IMO. You'd probably just pick up the pot here. Personally, I'd raise to t350-t400 or so. No reason to put your stack out there.

jeffraider
05-14-2005, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A little strong IMO. You'd probably just pick up the pot here. Personally, I'd raise to t350-t400 or so. No reason to put your stack out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here were a couple of things that flashed through my mind:

1) It definitely looks fishy. I think I'm inviting AQ-A8ish hands to call here trying to "catch" me.

2) I don't hate a call by any hand except for two and the 225 out there was decent overlay if someone wants to call with a PP.

3) I win coinflips!

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

AKQJ10
05-14-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Here were a couple of things that flashed through my mind:

1) It definitely looks fishy. I think I'm inviting AQ-A8ish hands to call here trying to "catch" me.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, your strongest point in favor of it. Depends on your table image. If you've won 5 of the last 10 pots preflop w/o a showdown, others will suspect you're stealing and be more likely to call.

[ QUOTE ]
2) I don't hate a call by any hand except for two and the 225 out there was decent overlay if someone wants to call with a PP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Objection: irrelevant. The question isn't, "If I push, what is the likelihood I'm screwed?" The question is, "What is the highest-EV way to play this hand in the position?"

In other words, suppose there's a 2% chance you get called, and half that 2% you win on a coin flip. Great! But it still would probably have been better to induce an erroneous call by AT or KJ or whatever. Pushing only makes sense if there's a reasonable chance worse hands will call you.

I don't play in whatever particular game this is, most likely, so my judgement is of no use to you on that point. But if you really want a good answer, assign a % probability that a dominated hand calls you, figure out the rest of the probabilities (like the chances someone has AA or KK, the chances a dominated hand outdraws you, etc.). Then post your assumptions for debate, and perhaps you'll demonstrate convincingly that it's &gt; EV to push than to make a nice-sized raise.
[ QUOTE ]

3) I win coinflips!

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I don't doubt it. You just lose the other 50%.

microbet
05-14-2005, 11:45 PM
AK can be a real sumbitch. I think if you raise to 400 you can't fold if someone pushes back at you. For that reason I would rather play it just about any other way.

Call

Raise to 150-200, hoping to narrow the field a bit (at least keep out the blinds)

push

DasLeben
05-14-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AK can be a real sumbitch. I think if you raise to 400 you can't fold if someone pushes back at you. For that reason I would rather play it just about any other way.

Call

Raise to 150-200, hoping to narrow the field a bit (at least keep out the blinds)

push

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I see your logic here. I think a raise to t400 is good only if you are planning on calling a push. Next to that, I think calling is better than pushing here. I dunno. I struggle a bit with AKo in this spot.

Karak567
05-14-2005, 11:54 PM
I would raise to like 250-400 (depending on how many limpers, etc) and then stop and go the flop.

Nottom
05-14-2005, 11:59 PM
I do the same thing a lot of the time, although maybe not with such a big stack.

I get called by small-medium pocket pairs when I do this way more often than hands I dominate it seems.