PDA

View Full Version : What is with the Turn Free Card?

CPA
05-14-2005, 09:55 PM
First hand at the table.

My attempt for the free card on the flop didn't go too well. But villian's check on the turn confused me. What would you do. Bet and fold to a check raise?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif. Hero posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero ???

cold_cash
05-14-2005, 09:58 PM
I think betting here would be bad.

27offsooot
05-14-2005, 10:00 PM
confusing one. I just check and call a river bet if i improve. If I don't improve, i wouldn't mind looking villain up, but still probably fold.

CPA
05-14-2005, 10:06 PM
I did check behind. However, this flop action has been happening to me too much lately and am finding that the local party folk are taking shots on the flop assuming you have overcards. I was thinking that villian's turn check was reinforcing my thought.

Therefore, I was debating betting the turn and getting a free showdown.

sfwusc
05-14-2005, 10:06 PM
someone has you pegged for being aggressive.

Dont Bet that turn.

-SFWUSC

chesspain
05-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Unless the opponent was on a complete and utter bluff on the flop, he likely has at least a pair by the turn, especially since the six just made a pair or a straight for a number of possible str8 draws on that flop. Consequently, I would check the turn, and possibly fold the river unimproved.

cmwck
05-14-2005, 10:50 PM
Check behind on the turn to take the free card.
You're not going to get him to fold for a single bet on the turn, and getting check-raised is really bad, as you'll either have to give up your draw you could have made for free, or be forced to pay 2 bets for it.

Also, the raise on the flop is not only for a free card, it could also be to clean up your overcard outs. But 'cleaning outs' is used really loosely so I don't know if it applies in this situation.

damaniac
05-14-2005, 10:54 PM
He might well be afraid of a straight. You know, because you would often play many hands with a 7 like this. Regardless of how little sense it makes, lots of players love to see monsters and freak out at a third flush card or something like this. Easy check, as whatever he liked on the flop (top pair, two pair, etc) is beating you and not folding.

Harv72b
05-14-2005, 11:15 PM
Say hello to 87. He's going for another check/raise, and it would be rather foolish to let him when you're only betting A high. Check that puppy through.

The river is a little more tricky if you catch your A or T. I still think villian has the straight, but I suppose you could justify calling a river bet laying 8:1, and getting some info on him if nothing else.

imported_PP123
05-14-2005, 11:16 PM
The only straight draws BB would play like this on the flop is 32 and 63, unless he was 3-betting a gutshot. On the turn hero is behind both of those. Hero's only hope is UTG is on a complete bluff. That means easy turn check and easy fold on river uninproved.

cmwck
05-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Is everyone OK with the flop raise? Any comments on why it is a good/bad thing?

Wired Jokers
05-14-2005, 11:30 PM
I am really, really confused with this flop raise. Somebody explain why this this is a good thing? Backdoor flush to nuts + two overcards = ~4.5 outs. We have enough here to see the turn for one bet. Why not?

Betting the turn = yucky.

Stack
05-15-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am really, really confused with this flop raise. Somebody explain why this this is a good thing? Backdoor flush to nuts + two overcards = ~4.5 outs. We have enough here to see the turn for one bet. Why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero planned on seeing the turn and the river for one extra sb

imported_PP123
05-15-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero planned on seeing the turn and the river for one extra sb

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this raise is not a free card play. It's a raise to protect what is possible the best hand.

PokerBob
05-15-2005, 12:20 PM
I think I check behind here, as now he HAS given you a free card. The fact that there is 4 to the straight on the board probably scared the hell out of him. Fold if you don't improve on the river.