PDA

View Full Version : Pocket A's - 5/10 - Raise, Call, Fold?

stone_7
05-14-2005, 08:49 PM
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG: 14/12/1.6 for 57 hands
MP2: 31/13/2.3 for 87 hands
SB: 68/4/0.9 for 178 hands

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>

?

gaming_mouse
05-14-2005, 09:39 PM
Cap and lead the turn. If UTG raises a non-club turn, I probably fold.

imported_PP123
05-14-2005, 09:53 PM
I would just call the 3-bet.

A cap doesn't protect your hand. It just bloats the pot and that gains the draws, not you. Another advantage of calling is that you you will see how much MP2 likes his hand.

If MP2 only calls, you will have a perfect oppotunity to raise an UTG bet on turn and face MP2 and SB with two BB. That will protect your hand. A flop cap will not.

gaming_mouse
05-14-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

A cap doesn't protect your hand. It just bloats the pot and that gains the draws, not you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have more equity than the draws.

[ QUOTE ]
If MP2 only calls, you will have a perfect oppotunity to raise an UTG bet on turn and face MP2 and SB with two BB. That will protect your hand. A flop cap will not.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if UTG is making a free card play?

imported_PP123
05-14-2005, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

A cap doesn't protect your hand. It just bloats the pot and that gains the draws, not you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have more equity than the draws.

[/ QUOTE ]
In this already big pot your main priority should definitely not be to get as many bets in as possible. All you should be thinking of is 'How can I protect my valnurble hand from being outdrawn in this big pot?'.

If you can't protect, then raise for value. If you can protect then do so. In this hand I think you have a great chance to protect your hand on the turn. I would take that chance.

[ QUOTE ]

What if UTG is making a free card play?

[/ QUOTE ]
You think he's raising for a free card from UTG??? What do you mean?

thejameser
05-14-2005, 11:16 PM
Cap. Lead if club. Check/Call if rag. Check raise if A.

Borno
05-14-2005, 11:26 PM
UTG looks like he's 3 betting with premium holdings here.

he is 1.6 agg, his raises arn't going to push out any draw really because even with 3 betting and implied odds, at thatg point the pot is 18sb, the worst he is doing is giving you 9:1 to call and the other guys 18:1...

he is utg, he raised pf, and is tight. take a hint. 99 (with 9 of c), TT, JJ (with a J of C) seem likely here to me.

with this range of hands I would say call. On the turn I raise if UTG bets and I bet if he checks. Hopefully MP2 raises if UTG checks. This protects your made hand. I put 2 bets in the pot at most here with a non club on the turn, if its a club go for the gold. If an opponent has TT, tough break.. but most of the time you should be in the clear.

please comment on my response.

pokerstudAA
05-15-2005, 02:02 AM
I dont like capping here. In fact I think capping here sucks for alot of reasons. Call the 3-bet and see if the original raiser MP2 wants to cap it. It will help you better define his hand.

When you 3 bet PF and cap the flop your hand becomes fairly transparent. You have told these two you have a big hand and they simply dont care. If you are behind you have 2 outs + runner runner flush.

What type of hands is MP2 going to cold call 3 bets with preflop? TT and QQ are possibilities. Mabye KK or JJ.

What about UTG? He raised PF and called a 3-bet. On the flop UTG check-three bets - wtf? 77 or TT look like it. He might slow play those hands on the flop. He might have a hand like K /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif. Mabye QT for 2 pair - doubtful given the pf action. Mabye J /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif pumping a straight draw.

I think one of them has a set. Look at how the hand played out and put UTG and MP2 on hands.

Now someone tell me why hero should cap?

imported_PP123
05-15-2005, 05:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Now someone tell me why hero should cap?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would like to hear those arguments too. I don't think this hand is hard at all. A cap sucks and it's not even close.

stone_7
05-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Entire Hand:

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, SB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (13 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, SB folds, UTG calls.

River: (15 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 17 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has Ah Qd (one pair, queens).
MP2 has Qh Ad (one pair, queens).
Outcome: MP2 wins 8.50 BB. UTG wins 8.50 BB. </font>

I whimped out. Not a great play considering that with the actual cards at the time I folded I was a 95% favorite (according to PT) over the two hands that showed down! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for all the great comments!