Rococo
05-14-2005, 02:33 PM
10-20 NLH 5-handed

UTG -- $2000
CO -- $1780
Hero -- $2400
SB -- $5100
BB -- $1350

BB has been playing at the table for about 30 minutes. I haven't seem him do anything particularly noteworthy -- no big bluffs, etc. He probably sees me as tight preflop and aggressive post-flop.

CO is normally decent but he is playing like a total donkey today. I don't know whether he is high, completely distracted or what, but he is doing everything wrong. In one hand with me, which the BB saw, CO and I went check-check all the way to showdown when CO had top set. In another hand, which BB also watched, I pushed $800 into a $400 pot with AK on a 235 flop. CO called all-in with AT and hit a T on the river to take it down.

On to the real hand.

Preflop

UTG and CO limp. I limp with 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif on the button. SB folds. Villain makes it a total of $60 to go from the BB. All call. This is the first time that Villain has raised from the blind in a multiway pot. The size of the bet is obviously bizarre, and I'm not sure what it means.

Flop is 234 rainbow.

Villain bets $100. CO folds. I raise to $300. Villain pushes. I call.

OK?

thabadguy
05-14-2005, 02:54 PM
How does he play sc's preflop?
how bout low pp's?

AZK
05-14-2005, 02:59 PM
ugh. If you aren't beat right now, I'd be willing to bet he has a plethora of ways to catch up. Bottom two SUCK!!!

Rococo
05-14-2005, 03:01 PM
The short answer is that I haven't seen him show any down, so I can't say for sure. In the time that he has been at the table, I haven't seen him do anything particularly tricky (like putting in a small raise from the BB with low PP or suited connectors for the purpose of variance/pot-building).

Rococo
05-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Does that mean fold? I had a hard time believing that I was behind on the flop. I agree that this is a high variance situation.

AZK
05-14-2005, 03:15 PM
I'm not saying fold, I'm just saying I don't like putting my stack in with bottom two on a straight board...

FeelGoodAboutHood
05-14-2005, 04:26 PM
Played a very similar hand in the 5-10 at PR last night, and after the board paired on the turn told myself that I was going to start waiting to the turn with bottom two if I know that my opponent has an overpair.

I used to think that I wanted to get it over with bottom two immediately, but recently I've been thinking it's a hand with which I don't mind keeping the pot small with, because too often the board becomes unfavorable after I've committed.

I'm not saying that you should fold at all here, because you definitely shouldn't. But I think that now that UTG and the CO have folded and you only have one opponent who most likely has AA-QQ and isn't folding, calling and taking a look at a turn card is a reasonable play.

creedofhubris
05-14-2005, 10:02 PM
Villain has AA. PF bet makes perfect sense.

Nothing wrong with waiting until the turn to see if it's an A, 5, or 4 to ruin your hand.