PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have one of these things?

BWebb
05-14-2005, 01:59 PM
The FM device for a MP3 that allows you to play the music on your MP3 player through a FM station in your car? This is what I'm talking about if you don't know.

Linky (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=80370943&c=us&category_id=6 187&cs=19&l=en&page=productlisting.aspx)

Does anyone know if they work well? Hows the clarity and quality coming through the car speakers?

diddle
05-14-2005, 02:04 PM
they suck.

this guy
05-14-2005, 02:05 PM
I had one that I used with my Ipod and it was absolutely horrible, the sound quality was just shitty as hell. If you want to play a MP3 player in your car there's a much better way where you connect your Ipod to your headunit with some special cables or something. It probably costs a little more but I think it'd be well worth it.

bugstud
05-14-2005, 02:11 PM
I've good experiences with mine, make sure you get a good one, the dell one is good IIRC. be sure you're playing decent quality mp3s and running it off a car adapte, it eats battieries like a mother.

They suck in large cities with all the FM bandwith taken though.

The Goober
05-14-2005, 02:12 PM
i have the monster cable version, and its sucks. Now that I have an iPod, I wish my car had a tape deck (the little tape adapter thingy sounds fine) instead of my fancy cd player.

TimM
05-14-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The FM device for a MP3 that allows you to play the music on your MP3 player through a FM station in your car? This is what I'm talking about if you don't know.

Linky (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=80370943&c=us&category_id=6 187&cs=19&l=en&page=productlisting.aspx)

Does anyone know if they work well? Hows the clarity and quality coming through the car speakers?

[/ QUOTE ]

The one I have is called an iRock, but operates on the exact same frequencies as the Belkin one you are looking at. I didn't like it, and it is sitting in my closet. The main problem is that there are radio stations here in NY near those frequencies that get through and interfere. It used to work better if I unscrewed the antenna from my car, which I can't even do with my current car.

Anyway, send me $10 to cover shipping and you can have mine:

http://www.myirock.com/players/irock300w.asp

swede123
05-14-2005, 02:14 PM
I tried one of these for my MP3 player a while back. The instructions claim that it works as long as the unit is no more than ten feet from the head unit. Hah! More like no more than ten inches away, and even then it works pretty crappy. Another problem is that you get much more static if you turn up the volume on the car stereo, which is what the instructions suggest. Instead you have to crank up your MP3 volume, making it use more battery life.

Swede

BWebb
05-14-2005, 02:23 PM
So is the cassette adapter the way to go? My car has both CD and cassette, so this is possible.

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-14-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

BWebb
05-14-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The one I have is called an iRock, but operates on the exact same frequencies as the Belkin one you are looking at. I didn't like it, and it is sitting in my closet. The main problem is that there are radio stations here in NY near those frequencies that get through and interfere. It used to work better if I unscrewed the antenna from my car, which I can't even do with my current car.

Anyway, send me $10 to cover shipping and you can have mine:

http://www.myirock.com/players/irock300w.asp

[/ QUOTE ]

I might take you up on that just to try it out. Do you have an Empire or UB account?

ThaSaltCracka
05-14-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So is the cassette adapter the way to go? My car has both CD and cassette, so this is possible.

[/ QUOTE ]I would like to know as well, my cd changer stopped working in my car and now I am stuck with the radio. Should I get one of those tape adapters or just get a new deck?

TimM
05-14-2005, 02:28 PM
No UB but I have Empire. Isn't the minimum $50 though? I have Stars, and Neteller is OK too.

ThaSaltCracka
05-14-2005, 02:31 PM
Stars minimum is .01.

plaster8
05-14-2005, 02:46 PM
I use a cassette adapter for my iPod and it sounds fine. Not quite as good as CD quality, but far better than the FM transmitter.

And as a bonus, the cassette adapters are like $6, instead of the $20 or whatver the transmitters cost.

ThaSaltCracka
05-14-2005, 02:50 PM
yeah, $6 is a lot better than the $120 deck I was looking at as well /images/graemlins/grin.gif

augie00
05-14-2005, 03:07 PM
The key to these things is, don't use it in your car. If you are in your apartment, the sound is clear as day. If you are in your car, you pick up signals from every other car, and the sound quality is not nearly as good.

shadow29
05-14-2005, 03:08 PM
I've got one and I've had no problems whatsoever with it. Sound quality is as good as through the shitty earbugs that come with the mp3 player.

I live in Atlanta, too, so it's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Dead
05-14-2005, 03:20 PM
I tried something like this, and it sucked.

I couldn't find any empty stations, so I ended up biting the bullet, and putting an MP3 deck in my car.

Jack of Arcades
05-14-2005, 05:19 PM
My friend claims to have found a good one. I have a tape deck and it's perfect.

jacki
05-14-2005, 05:49 PM
My iTrip rules.

Easy to change frequencies as I travel. Little static. Works great.

iTrip (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/)

Barrett's Last Privateer
05-14-2005, 06:18 PM
I've got an iTrip too.

I've only used it for interstate trips, but it's been great. Sound quality has been fine.

daryn
05-15-2005, 04:23 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
i have the monster cable version, and its sucks. Now that I have an iPod, I wish my car had a tape deck (the little tape adapter thingy sounds fine) instead of my fancy cd player.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have the same one, works fine