PDA

View Full Version : I am looking for the following from a site - micro limits

celiboy
05-14-2005, 01:04 PM
I currently play at Absolute at the micros. I like it because they have as low as $.50 Sit and Go's which I do quite well at since the players are quite poor. The one thing I don't like is that the micro's are raked and so I am looking to move to another site.

I want:
1. Low buy ins for Sit and go's. I know PokerStars has no rake at the micro's but the only sit and go's they have are 5 bucks minimum.

2. No rake at the micro's. I consider anything below .1/.2 as being a micro limit.

edthayer
05-14-2005, 01:34 PM
UB has some micro games, but I've never heard of a micro-SNG.

handsome
05-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Hahhahahaha you're so cheap.

playersare
05-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Paradise and Poker Stars do not rake the 2c/4c or 5c/10c games. neither does UB 1c/2c.

don't know a list of cheap SNG sites off the top of my head, but I do remember playing something like a 5c + 1c once on the Tribeca network (Golden Palace, Doyle's Room).

oljumpstart
05-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Pacific used to run $2.00+.20 sng's, but I don't know if they still do.

SoftcoreRevolt
05-14-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, this is the only response I had to the OP.

RandomFactor
05-14-2005, 04:34 PM
Pacific still runs the $2.20 games but they are 20 players. They also offer a $4.40 and $8.80 games in the same format.

smb394
05-14-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I currently play at Absolute at the micros. I like it because they have as low as $.50 Sit and Go's which I do quite well at since the players are quite poor. The one thing I don't like is that the micro's are raked and so I am looking to move to another site.

I want:
1. Low buy ins for Sit and go's. I know PokerStars has no rake at the micro's but the only sit and go's they have are 5 bucks minimum.

2. No rake at the micro's. I consider anything below .1/.2 as being a micro limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I wonder how much one would get back per month in the unmentionable.

Synergistic Explosions
05-14-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how you guys started who think he's funny, but I started playing PLAY MONEY SNG'S myself, and considered it valuable time spent.

I had never played poker for money on a serious level before. I wasn't going to jump in and lose a bunch to get experience.

I think there's nothing wrong with someone asking a question about micro limit action amongst the different sites.

We all start somewhere in our poker quest.

PuckNPoker
05-14-2005, 06:00 PM
UB has a $1+.1 SnG, HTH

and their .01/.02 isnt raked iirc

smb394
05-14-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how you guys started who think he's funny, but I started playing PLAY MONEY SNG'S myself, and considered it valuable time spent.

I had never played poker for money on a serious level before. I wasn't going to jump in and lose a bunch to get experience.

I think there's nothing wrong with someone asking a question about micro limit action amongst the different sites.

We all start somewhere in our poker quest.

[/ QUOTE ]

The stakes of the game are not really the point. I think the other responders were trying to say why bitch about a rake at 10c/20c when it's not really that much money.

SoftcoreRevolt
05-14-2005, 06:32 PM
There's nothing wrong with it, but I still think it's funny. I started playing Play Money, and did quite a few Play Money tournaments, which is way way funnier than looking for rakeless micros.

But as I can laugh at myself for the way I started, I can laugh at this too, since at this point I'm so used to Party's high rakes that not paying it at nanos does seem cheap.

GL to the OP, and I apologize for laughing.

MicroBob
05-14-2005, 06:45 PM
the ub player-points SNG's may be worth considering.

of course, you have to play enough there to get some points in the first place.
but they have points ring-games as well as points SNG's.

I think the cheapest of the SNG's is 100 points...which I think is about $0.50.

otherwise, consider the 5+.50's or the play-money tables.

celiboy
05-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Well of course this is small potato's for everyone here but we all start somewhere. I started with 25 on Absolute and have turned that into 70 in just 2 months playing the 2/4 cent tables and $1 and $.5 SNG's. I am now bankrolled for .10/.20 and when I get to $150 I will play in the .25/.50 game and so on. Yea the rake is small per hand, but I would guess that I have paid at least 20 bucks in rake at my time in the micros. Without this I would be closer to my goal of being bankrolled for the .25/.5. And no I am not struggling...lol. I have a very good paying job but feel that for me to be a winning player in the long run I should make my way to the higher limits starting from the ground up. I never want to be in a position where I have to redeposit to be at a certain bankroll.

MicroBob
05-14-2005, 08:43 PM
that's an admirable goal although I think you will just be affecting the potential income you could be making.

the party .5/1 is such an easy game that it would be okay to deposit $100 in there and take your shot...and if it goes badly try with another $100.
This wouldn't exactly be high risk if you have a well-paying job.

But if you are determined to do it this way then you can pull it off...although it might take awhile.

Consider bonus-whoring as well as a way of boosting your poker-income. Once you get to .25/.50 you can possibly start clearing some bonus-money at absolute or crypto, etc.

FWIW - When I played the micros it was because I just didn't have the money to play any higher even if I wanted to.
I played a Stars $1 MTT and won $75 and was pretty damn excited.
I played the Stars .02/.04 games and built my roll....and eventually did decently on the $5 SNG's. At one stretch I took 1st in 6 out of 7 of these and thought I had poker all figured out.
I wasn't quite correct....but it was a decent start.

Hence, I took the name 'microlimitaddict' when I first came to 2+2...which became 'microboy' (like some bad super-hero who only plays micro-limits) and then eventually 'microbob' when I was less paranoid of sharing my actual name with a bunch of strangers.

I also thought it would be cool to take a name with the word 'micro' in it for when I made my way up to the $100/$200 game or something.
Well...that hasn't quite happened...but I have moved up from the micro's at least.

anyway...your ideas bring back memories of me trying to get my feet wet.

good luck on your micro-quest.

celiboy
05-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Thanks MicroBob

I have read a lot of your posts on here.

Isn't generally accepted that one needs 300 BB to take a shot at a given level? Actually this is what I first did when I started. Dumped 50 into Party Poker thinking that the .5/1 was the lowest limit online. I had little concept of what I was doing. I cashed out after loosing about 20 bucks in a week and then I found this site....

Schwartzy61
05-14-2005, 08:57 PM
You should play the ring games at PokerStars and the Sit N Go's at Absolute. Just have them both open at the same time. Seems like the best way to get the best of both worlds, if your roll can handle being split up that is...

obsidian
05-14-2005, 08:57 PM
UB always has a lot of $1+.1 SNG's running. They also have .01/.02 games.

Lurker4
05-14-2005, 08:59 PM
Prima (Gaming Club, Royal Vegas, etc) has as low as $.05/$.10, not sure if they are raked or not though. They also have $.75+$.25 SNGs, but obviously the rake on those are pretty bad. I'd recommend bonuswhoring like MicroBob said. Check out the Bonus Whoring 101 page at bonuswhores.com, or Homer's post on building a bankroll, also Greg J has a good post on starting from the nano-limits, don't remember what thats called though. Like you, I started out at the micros, about 10 months ago and am playing $3/6 and $5/10 now; many others who started at the micros are playing $15/30 and up. Good luck.

MicroBob
05-14-2005, 09:02 PM
That doesn't mean you have to deposit the whole 300BB into the site though.

As long as you can afford to lose the $300 then you should be fine.
In other words...if you can afford a loss of $300 then you should be okay at .5/1 if you should go on a really bad streak.

Some advocate a more aggressive approach of 'taking a shot' at a higher level with a less only 200BB or so. If you drop 50BB of that then fall back to the previous limit...something like that.

I don't think you need to win 300BB at each and every limit at the micro-level to prove that you are ready for the next one.

In other words...if you have done decently at .02/.04 and feel you are adequately beating the game then you are probably okay to try the .25/.50 level as long as there aren't any budget-constraints in your way.

I doubt that there is much difference between .02/.04 and .10/.20.
And a lot of that micro stuff on many sites is fairly similar to the party .5/1 I suspect. Although the party .5/1 might be a little bit tougher.

your plan of really working your butt off to never have to deposit again is a good one too but it just seems like it might be more work than it's worth.

IF you are good enough to beat the .02/.04 somewhere else then it's probably not a huge step skill-wise up to the .5/1 at party.
Those with more recent experience at these limits can feel free to correct me on this.

I'm hardly one to advocate 'you need to move up faster' very often but it does seem that it might be worth considering in your situation.

Lurker4
05-14-2005, 09:03 PM
300BB+ is generally considered a good bankroll at the limit your playing at, but you don't necessarily need that much to take a shot at a higher limit. You could just set aside 50BB and try playing a higher limit, if you lose or feel uncomfortable just move down. Just make sure you have enough for your regular limit. Many people move up quickly taking controlled shots like this.

webgator
05-14-2005, 11:56 PM
I too started out on Party and lost a little and moved waaay down to these levels to learn the game.

The only sites I have played at with nano-limits are Pacific, Stars and Champs. I've been grinding away at them for the last 6 months and have been pretty much playing slightly ahead to break even each session. I know my brother fairs well at Pacific's .05/.10 level.

Felt my game was good enough and took a gamble with the latest Empire reload and am currently up $60 halfway through the bonus requirement 2 tabling about 2 hours per day.

If you are not struggling playing the nano's and don't have a Party account maybe you ought to try one of those free bankroll offers and see what happens. The key here is to play the same game that you are playing now. Remember the .50/1.00 level is the lowest level they have and it plays alot like to .05/.10 Pacific and .02/.04 Stars levels IMO.

LondonBroil
05-15-2005, 01:20 AM
You should try stepping out of the kiddy pool and start making some moves.