PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting the recent forum chage (moving active threads up)

JTG51
12-01-2002, 07:08 PM
Now that we've had a couple of weeks to get used to having active threads move to the top of the forums, what does everyone think? Has anyone changed their mind?

I initially voted for it, and I think I probably would again, but I think it's a closer choice now.

The fact that it keeps popular threads near the top is a good thing. It also can bury a new thread though. Many times when I logon, I'll reply to 3 or 4 or more posts on the same forum in a row. I think many others do the same. If someone had just made a new post, it would now be burried under all of the ones that I just replied to. If there's a few responses in each one, the new posts often get pushed so far down the page that they never get noticed.

I know this has happened to a couple of my posts that I thought could have started an interesting debate.

Does anyone else think this is a problem?

mikelow
12-01-2002, 07:55 PM
It can bury new threads, and sometimes a couple of clowns can reopen a dead thread from two weeks ago.

It has taken getting used to.

Greg (FossilMan)
12-01-2002, 09:23 PM
For the reasons you mention, I prefer the old method.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

12-01-2002, 10:21 PM
prefer old method

andyfox
12-01-2002, 10:40 PM
I prefer the old set-up.

Ed Miller
12-01-2002, 10:46 PM
I prefer the new setup. It keeps interesting and active threads at the top.

PokerBabe(aka)
12-02-2002, 12:09 AM
Out with the old and in with the new and actively viewed. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I like the new setup. LGPG (look good, post good). Keep it current...... Babe /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Mason Malmuth
12-02-2002, 12:47 AM
Some threads are getting far more views than what the threads use to get. I think that's a good thing, and it appears the change is working as it should.

best wishes,
Mason

Clarkmeister
12-02-2002, 03:19 AM
I think its a dramatic improvement that facilitates quality discussion on the threads of interest. Not all threads are created equal. Besides, if you are viewing the forum in "collapsed" threads (as I suspect most people do), a new thread sitting 6 or 7 down isn't that far down at all. Compare that to an engaging and thoughtful 4 day old thread is long lost to the view of most posters.

JTG51
12-02-2002, 03:26 AM
You know, I've never used collapsed mode until this moment. I think I like it. It certainly solves the problem I complained about above. I like being able to see who responded to a thread before I open it, but I still think that's a good change.

Thanks.

Ed Miller
12-02-2002, 05:01 AM
Ahhh.. I was wondering what you yokels were complaining about. No wonder you were worried about your three hour old post getting lost... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Insp. Clue!So?
12-02-2002, 11:50 AM
Since it's just a bunch of links, why can't the user have the option? bj21 has a number of thread options. It doesn't seem like it should be such an onerous programming job, and clearly there is a large body of people who want something different.

MikeyEdge
12-02-2002, 01:08 PM
I thought there was something wrong with my computer. This new format is poor. If you check the forum all the time, you are looking for new threads, not ones from a month ago. I like it old school.

Homer
12-02-2002, 03:48 PM
There are different configurations available for viewing the threads. Go to "My Home" (link at top of page) and check out the different options.

-- Homer

Rick Nebiolo
12-02-2002, 04:31 PM
I'll abstain from voting for now because I haven't been that active lately. I'm wondering if this can't be programmed as an available option with the default set to the new way?

Regards,

Rick

TimTimSalabim
12-02-2002, 08:33 PM
Having active threads at the top is convenient if you're a frequent visitor. I used to hate hunting down through many pages to find a recent post to an old thread, under the old way.

And if I haven't browsed in awhile, I still like the new way, because I can post a reply to an old thread and have others see it. Otherwise it gets ignored.

And as for newer threads that have no replies, they're still relatively near the top anyway.