PDA

View Full Version : Table Selection

cain06
05-14-2005, 11:21 AM
I'm starting to work on my table selection skills as I realize this has a huge impact on my earn rate. I was curious what criteria the guys here use when selecting tables at Party. What's your normal routine for table selection? Thank you very much in advance for all your help!

As an addendum to my previous question, what sort of stats do you look at when using GameTime to determine if the table is worth playing at or not?

kapw7
05-14-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to work on my table selection skills as I realize this has a huge impact on my earn rate. I was curious what criteria the guys here use when selecting tables at Party. What's your normal routine for table selection? Thank you very much in advance for all your help!

As an addendum to my previous question, what sort of stats do you look at when using GameTime to determine if the table is worth playing at or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personal opinion: Don't care about table selection in microlimits unless you want to stay there forever - which is fine and profitable BTW. You need to get as much experience as you can from a variety of player styles -yes, there are some VERY good players in micros.
You cannot learn everything from books.
You cannot learn and make maximum profit in the same time.

cain06
05-14-2005, 11:42 AM
That's a great point. I figured most people in micros are fish anyways, but I was wondering if there was a way to maximize my profits.

This morning, I actually looked at a few tables before I sat down. I read an article which said to stay away from big stacks (this is obviously not going to be highly accurate), so I sat down at a table with small stacks and large pot sizes and cleaned up.

I was curious if there were other things I should look for as well.

Nick Royale
05-14-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Personal opinion: Don't care about table selection in microlimits

[/ QUOTE ]
Table selection is important. Keep track of your opponents and change table when its too tight. i change table when I don't have 2-3 loose players at it.

cain06
05-14-2005, 11:48 AM
I found a few links using Google, here is one of them

Here (http://teamfu.freeshell.org/table_selection.html)

I couldn't find very much using the 2+2 search engine which is why I asked.

Nick Royale
05-14-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's a great point. I figured most people in micros are fish anyways, but I was wondering if there was a way to maximize my profits.

[/ QUOTE ]
if you're playing 1-2 not using table selection costs you quite a lot.

Nick Royale
05-14-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This morning, I actually looked at a few tables before I sat down. I read an article which said to stay away from big stacks (this is obviously not going to be highly accurate), so I sat down at a table with small stacks and large pot sizes and cleaned up.

[/ QUOTE ]
This works well.

[ QUOTE ]
I was curious if there were other things I should look for as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Using PT and GT+?

kapw7
05-14-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Keep track of your opponents and change table when its too tight. i change table when I don't have 2-3 loose players at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point. In a tight table you'll be killedjust because of the rake (esp. at Party). But you have to ask yourself. Do you play 0.5/1 to become better or to make the max profit? You act accordingly.

cain06
05-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Yes, both of these.

cain06
05-14-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Keep track of your opponents and change table when its too tight. i change table when I don't have 2-3 loose players at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point. In a tight table you'll be killedjust because of the rake (esp. at Party). But you have to ask yourself. Do you play 0.5/1 to become better or to make the max profit? You act accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you to an extent, but I think the time you spend at the table (with fish or sharks) pales in comparison to the time you spend away from the table studying and thinking about your game. That's where I tend to make my improvements. Then I come back and implement the changes.

Anyways, I'm looking for things people do before selecting a table.

kapw7
05-14-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

if you're playing 1-2 not using table selection costs you quite a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I never play or intend to play 1/2 full ring. 1/2 6max? This is different. I bet you cannot find a table there that couldn't be profitable for a competent player.

cain06
05-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Here is an interesting comment from the article listed above:

[ QUOTE ]
So, what should you look for in table selection? From my experience, I find that tables in the range of 8-10 times the BB (big bet) are usually the most ideal tables. So in a 3/6 game, you want the average pot to be 48-60. In these games, you will usually find a good variety of players that actually improve your game if you are playing at a skilled level.

What you always want in a game is one or two people who see every flop. These people contribute to the pot immensely by constantly fueling odds while usually playing weak hands. At the same time, you want 2-3 tight players who are the type to fold any hand unless they make top pair. The rest of the players you want to be more or less average joes who play mediocre hands and mostly call raises instead of doing them. This is an ideal table because it gives you a wide range of angles to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Credit to Author (http://teamfu.freeshell.org/table_selection.html)

Nick Royale
05-14-2005, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, both of these.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, they're handy, but don't use the table stats, they suck. Use GT+ so you know there are always some poosr players at your table (high vpip). Export notes from PT and choose tables good tables to sit down at before you can use GT+.

Bobby Digital
05-14-2005, 01:26 PM
I look for the ones that go call, call, call, call. I sit down and keep an eye on the table vpip.

One idea that sometimes works out well is to find a table with 4-7 people and large pot sizes. You can sometimes catch these really good tables just before they fill up and have a good table for a couple hours.