PDA

View Full Version : Friendly reminder why slowplaying is stupid (low content)

uw_madtown
05-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Dear UTG,

Thank you for saving me many bets by not getting money in on both the turn and river.

- Madtown

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.40 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP3 folds.

Turn: (5.20 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (7.20 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 15.20 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has Ad 9d (flush, ace high).
Hero has 6d 7d (flush, king high).
Outcome: UTG wins 15.20 BB. </font>

SLOWPLAYING IS NOT YOUR FRIEND.

thejameser
05-14-2005, 11:04 AM
he did a pretty good job on the river, though. so are you saying you would have raised him on the turn, called or capped his likely reraise, and then given the same action on the river? or with all of the action on the turn would you just check/call? i understand this is HU so you must be feeling pretty good, and i don't like his turn call; definitely should have raised. look at that river action, though. No reads?

masonx
05-14-2005, 11:21 AM
gotta hate that stuff :P

uw_madtown
05-14-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
he did a pretty good job on the river, though. so are you saying you would have raised him on the turn, called or capped his likely reraise, and then given the same action on the river? or with all of the action on the turn would you just check/call? i understand this is HU so you must be feeling pretty good, and i don't like his turn call; definitely should have raised. look at that river action, though. No reads?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring to his turn check-call slowplay (clearly he played the river correctly).

I would have capped the turn and probably would have 3-bet the river (and crying called his cap). Flush, heads up, unpaired board.

My point was that he missed at least 2 BB here by check-calling the turn, and that this is why we don't slowplay hands. If I've got something like AJ/KJ/AK, he's not going to get any MORE money from me by waiting till the river to raise. Meanwhile, if I've got a set or a baby flush (as I did), he's missing a couple of bets. If I'm bluffing w/ missed overs or a mid-PP, then he maybe gets one more bet than he would have by fast-playing.

uw_madtown
05-14-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
gotta hate that stuff :P

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I love players like this guy. FPS and slowplaying are -EV.

bobhalford
05-14-2005, 12:43 PM
If I had a baby flush like you did and got check raised on the turn, I would just call the river. Looks like he extracted more money from you by check calling the turn and betting out the river hoping you would raise so he could 3-bet. Not sure why slowplaying is bad. Waiting until the river hides his nut flush, encouraging you to go nuts. Had he check raised the turn and capped your 3 bet, then you would have just called the river. That's the same amount of BBs going into the pot. Seems like the same outcome both ways.

Entity
05-14-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure why slowplaying is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many bets does he lose the 13% of the time another diamond falls on the river?

uw_madtown
05-14-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Had he check raised the turn and capped your 3 bet, then you would have just called the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he bets 3-bets or c/r-caps this turn, I'm going to lose at least 2 bets on the river too.

Does anyone else slow down when you're heads-up with an unpaired board with a baby flush? I'm not...