PDA

View Full Version : Call this river?

Vern
05-14-2005, 10:16 AM
Table is loose with a mix of passives and aggressives.

MP1 is a pre-flop LAG, the only hand I saw him limp/call and then showdown was with J2o. He raises, limp re-raises, re-raises or caps with any two suited, any pairs, any ace, any two braodway cards and maybe even T9o or other offsuited no gap connectors. I have him at VP$IP 84%, PFR 45% but his after flop aggression is a modest 1.1. After ~100 hands I have him down over 90BB.

MP3 is semi-loose and passive before and after the flop, but is capable of just taking a shot at a pot if weakness is shown.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (14.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 folds.

River: (10.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero ?

Pot is pretty big now, but I just have AK to show. I don't think he bets the turn without part of the board, but again, I am getting 11:1 to call. This is where I get flustered the most often. Should I have semi-bluffed on the turn (A three-bet would have sucked) and checked behind unimproved? What if I semi-bluff raise the turn and he still leads the river, now the pot is even bigger, what then?

As always any comments or criticism of any part of the hand is welcome.

Vern

Standard Disclaimer, I am by no means an expert at any of this.

Bigdaddydvo
05-14-2005, 10:24 AM
I've wondered about situations like this. Let's break it down:

Turn Raise: Pluses-Often gets you a "free" showdown on the river if none of your outs come through w/your ace high. Getting 3-bet sucks, but isn't a catastrophe since we have a lot of ways to make our hand w/one card to come.

Calling Turn, Raising river if we hit: I only like this line if we're going to throw the ace high away. I honestly don't think your hand is best enough to make the call, even w/the odds you're getting.

I think they're close, but I'm curious to see what others think.

PotatoStew
05-14-2005, 10:26 AM
According to your read, I think you're probably beat... you showed strength all the way so far, and he still bet into you on the turn. The pot is pretty large though. I'd probably call and then kick myself when I saw his Queen.

PotatoStew
05-14-2005, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Turn Raise: Pluses-Often gets you a "free" showdown on the river if none of your outs come through w/your ace high. Getting 3-bet sucks, but isn't a catastrophe since we have a lot of ways to make our hand w/one card to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this thinking... I'm assuming that you'd fold to a river bet unimproved?

Vern
05-14-2005, 10:29 AM
One of the other down sides of a turn raise are it drives out MP1 who could have just about any of those hands I listed. He might call one with the bottom end of a gutshot, but a raise would scare him away. One important stat on him I failed to mention, Went to SD 33% and Won $ at Show Down 12%. (At least thinking of keeping him in was part of my decision making process in just calling)

Bigdaddydvo
05-14-2005, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like this thinking... I'm assuming that you'd fold to a river bet unimproved?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely

masonx
05-14-2005, 11:29 AM
I think thats a relatively easy fold, 33% of showdowns isnt alot, now if itere 45-50 then we could warrant a call but the 12% of showdowns won just means he is running bad (you probably have a small sample size too like 50 hands or so).

I like the idea of a turn raise there..

Solid_p
05-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Given the read, I would call the turn and fold the river ui. Against a more aggressive opponent, I must say I like the turn raise and checking behind on the river ui. If bet into on river, I fold ui.

MisterKing
05-14-2005, 01:38 PM
EASY CALL. 11.x:1 closing the action heads-up against a maniac? Oh yeah. You have an enormous overlay on this bet.

Entity
05-14-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
EASY CALL. 11.x:1 closing the action heads-up against a maniac? Oh yeah. You have an enormous overlay on this bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

MP3 isn't a maniac.

I'd fold.

Rob

MisterKing
05-14-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MP3 isn't a maniac.

I'd fold.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I got my villains confused... posting while 6-tabling is bad news. Mea Culpa.

Looking back at the desc. of MP3, I'm ok with folding the river, but still think a turn raise might be in order?

Vern
05-14-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think thats a relatively easy fold, 33% of showdowns isnt alot, now if itere 45-50 then we could warrant a call but the 12% of showdowns won just means he is running bad (you probably have a small sample size too like 50 hands or so).

I like the idea of a turn raise there..

[/ QUOTE ]

The stats were for the "Should I raise the turn" discussion about the nut that would cap with 32s in a heads up pot pre-flop then would always seem to get to the river and call one but would drop if he had nothing and was faced with two. Granted, the time he showed J2o on the river he was betting it, after it had completely missed the board and there were still two other players in the pot. /images/graemlins/smile.gif It was nice to sit at his table.

The River call decision was against a passive post flop player that might take a shot at a pot if an opponent had shown weakness, but he took control on the turn, after I had capped pre-flop and bet the flop, so I figure he had to have bare AK beat at that point.