PDA

View Full Version : simple standard preflop question.

JaBlue
05-14-2005, 04:21 AM
50$ poker stars tournament

Blinds are 200-400 You have 6,000$ and aren't close to the money. This is probably good for about average but I don't really know.

Anyway, I honestly forgot whether I was in late or middle position this hand. My best guess is I was somewhere from 5th-8th position.

You open for 1600 with AQ and its folded to small blind who pushes. He has 12,000 and is a very big stack, but has been playing relatively tight. That is, he has been giving up his blind up until now. He also hasn't been pushing people around very preflop. This is the first time that I've raised his blind though. I've been having terrible cards and haven't played a hand in 1.5 orbits.

The huge stack pushes. There is 600 pre + your 1600 + his 6000 in so 8200 in the pot and its 4400 to call.

Do you call or fold? Does your answer changed whether you are 5th position or 8th?

Superfluous Man
05-14-2005, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you call or fold? Does your answer changed whether you are 5th position or 8th?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think you're better than a 1.86:1 dog against the most plausible range of hands for him to have here. If he's tight and hasn't been playing back at people in his blinds, I'm putting him on AA-TT, AK. It doesn't really matter if I'm raising from 5th or 8th if he's this tight. Against someone I know is capable of restealing here, I'd widen that range enough to perhaps make a call plausible, especially if I raised from 8th. But I still wouldn't really like it.

So, in your situation I would weep a bit and fold it.

JaBlue
05-14-2005, 04:56 AM
Against this hand range, ironically, AQ is 65.6 - 34.4 or 1.91:1 against. If you add in 99 then AQ is 64.4 - 35.6 or 1.81:1 against. EDIT: I included AQ as pushing against you in these handranges.

Also is how $ev and chipev are related in this case as I think its a pretty damned close mathematical decision.

Superfluous Man
05-14-2005, 05:05 AM
Pokerstove tells me that {AQs, AQo} vs. {AA-TT, AKs, AKo} is 31.567 vs. 68.433, making him worse than 2.1:1. Adding in 99 makes him something like a 1.98:1 dog.

Sure, it's close, but I still think it's a fold. Or maybe I'm just weak-tight when it comes to getting played back at from a formerly tight blind.

Edit: Ah, that's where the discrepancy comes from. But do you really think he would do this with AQ here? I think a lot of people might actually just call with AQ instead of jam. But I guess if you add AQ, it's a really close decision. Maybe a call wouldn't be so bad, as AA-KK might play this a little slower.

Edit 2: Him = you. It's too late for me to be responding. Too much damn caffeine.

JaBlue
05-14-2005, 05:11 AM
I think a lot of players will do this with AQ here too... Also I'm wondering how much the "[censored] it I am getting close to a point where I need to gamble" attitude affects our decision here

maddo
05-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Was opening for 4xBB your standard raise here? I see mostly opening raises for less than this online, although to be fair I haven't yet played at the $50 buy-in level. Anyway, is it possible the BB thought you were weaker than you were due to the large raise?

ZeroMan
05-14-2005, 10:36 AM
with that sort of a stack i dont like raiseing to 4BB, and rather make it 3BB.
hmm tough decision here, my immediate reaction is fold given your thoughts on the player. AQ just feels so sketchy to call the allin here, the best i can say is you 'just know' hes gonna flip up either AK or AA-TT with the majority of these hands having you domm'd it doesnt look good at all. with your description of the player the possibility of him haveing AQ aswell would be more of a calling hand for him i think.

ZeroMan
05-14-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Was opening for 4xBB your standard raise here? I see mostly opening raises for less than this online, although to be fair I haven't yet played at the $50 buy-in level. Anyway, is it possible the BB thought you were weaker than you were due to the large raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

i havent played at $50 buyin level yet either, just so you know for my reply.

JaBlue
05-14-2005, 05:38 PM
I actually didn't play this hand, but my standard raise is usually 2.5-3x the big blind depending on how deep most players are; i.e. at some stages 2.5xBB means more in terms of %stack than 3xBB would at another stage.