PDA

View Full Version : Stud/8 River Question

PoBoy321
05-14-2005, 04:06 AM
This hand happened earlier today in a HORSE tournament I played with some friends. I forget the specifics and the only really important action came on the river.

I started with a 4 up and Aces in the hole. On the end, I had no low, but aces and tens as my high hand, we were three handed on the river and I had the high board with a pair of tens showing. The pot was huge at this point as it had been 4-handed ealier and went 3 or 4 bets on a few early streets and I think that it was pretty obvious what my hand was.

On my left was a LAGgy idiot who I honestly think doesn't know how to play poker. He had a pretty unthreatening board and I'm sure that I had him beat for the high hand. Last to act was a decent player whose board were all low cards and who I'm sure knows exactly what I have.

Anyway, the river comes. I check because I expect the LAG to bet (as he usually does). He does bet and the guy with the low board raises.

If it had been heads up or just stud-hi, I think that I could have gotten away from my two pair (I'm pretty sure that last to act had a pair of 6s on the board). However, with the loose caller left to act behind me, would it make sense for me to think that the decent player realizes that I have the best high hand, he has the best low hand and is raising to get a call out of the LAG to split his last bet?

Aicirt
05-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Well its hard to say without knowing how the pot got so large, but with a 4 in the door and open sixes, your opponnents might be putting you on a broken low.

So if youre beating the LAG for high, youre pretty much going to want to see the showdown. Does the low hand have straight/flush potential? If he has straight/flush potential, how live/dead are his cards that he would need to have such a hand? If youre worried about the low hand having a better high than you, calling might be okay, however I would say that you need to do whatever need to do to get the most money in the pot. If you think that you could get the LAG to call a raise, then I would raise. If not then maybe just flat call.

Like I said, its really hard to tell without knowing how large this pot actually is or how it got to be so large. Depending upon the low's board, you might be beat for high as well. But if he knows that he has a lock for the low half but no high hand, he would still definately be raising that river.

Aicirt

bholdr
05-14-2005, 04:30 PM
the low, if he has a small pair, might be trying to isolate the LAG and scoop; i call and hope the lag doesn't jam, unless i think the low has made a straight. aces up in hi lo is a powerful high hand. also, he could've busted his low and ended up with two small pair. if the pot's big, it''s a pretty clear call, imo.

raising in order to carve up the weak hand is another possibility.

Andy B
05-15-2005, 04:25 PM
We need more detail. That said, I would probably call and not like it.

PoBoy321
05-15-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

We need more detail. That said, I would probably call and not like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm sorry, it was from a live game and I really just couldn't remember all the action.

Either way, my question was really just about whether or not you thought that my interpretation of the river raise made sense.