PDA

View Full Version : Summer Job: Catering

PokerFink
05-14-2005, 04:00 AM
My friend works for a catering business and said she can get me a job easy. The work is aparently pretty easy, some manual labor (setting up) is required for some jobs, depending on the location. Pay is $18 per hour, plus a cut of the tip at the end (averaging $50 she said). I'm guessing the average job is 6-8 hours, but I could be wrong. Seems like a pretty good deal.

I live in a wealthy area, so there are plenty of catered events to go around.

Anyone else done this that can give me some comments?

housenuts
05-14-2005, 04:06 AM
if you can fake a smile and act like a homosexual you'll do great.

i served banquets for a year and a half. i enjoyed it mostly, but i don't think i will ever serve people again. it's fairly easy, and it seems like you will be getting good pay, and you usually get to eat for free too. i don't really know what to say. you need a more specific question.

PokerFink
05-14-2005, 04:10 AM
I don't really know what else to ask. Fake smile is no problem, I have food service experience (two other summer jobs) so I know the routine. I know there are 2+2ers out there who have done this, so I'm just wondering if they liked it or not, and have any tips/suggestions/whatever.

JaBlue
05-14-2005, 04:13 AM
Why are you considering taking this job?

most people can make much more playing poker with minimal effort

Dead
05-14-2005, 04:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does every job question thread in this forum have to include a play poker suggestion?

Real jobs look much better on the resume.

PokerFink
05-14-2005, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can make that much playing poker. Sadly, I:

a) Don't have a fake ID, so living in AC with my buddies and playing all summer is out of the question (next summer tho) and

b) My parents won't allow me to play poker all summer. This is important considering they pay for insurance, rent, tuition et all.

Dead
05-14-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My parents won't allow me to play poker all summer. This is important considering they pay for insurance, rent, tuition et all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your parents suck.

PokerFink
05-14-2005, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My parents won't allow me to play poker all summer. This is important considering they pay for insurance, rent, tuition et all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your parents suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

My parents are a pain in the ass, but they still pay for a lot of stuff, and I'm not about to bite the hand that feeds me.

Dead
05-14-2005, 04:29 AM
I totally understand.

JaBlue
05-14-2005, 04:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does every job question thread in this forum have to include a play poker suggestion?

Real jobs look much better on the resume.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know who this guy is or what his aspirations are, so if his only goal is to make money with this job it doesn't make any sense to take it. That's why I was hoping to get keyed in to why he doesn't have a better opportunity.

If I were in his boat I'd much rather get an internship in a field that I'm interested in and play poker for the income.

Dead
05-14-2005, 04:36 AM
That's a good suggestion.

PokerFink
05-14-2005, 04:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I were in his boat I'd much rather get an internship in a field that I'm interested in and play poker for the income.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm doing that next summer when I will be 21 and can (hopefully) get an internship at the Taj.

My main concerns for this summer are

a) making money, and
b) keeping my parents happy, which requires getting a job