PDA

View Full Version : Michael Vick is a freak

JTG51
12-01-2002, 05:53 PM
Anyone who hasn't yet seen his 47 yard TD run in overtime to beat the Vikings, be sure to watch the highlights tonight.

When he was drafted I (like everyone else) had some doubts about his throwing ability. Not anymore.

I now think he's the most talented player in the league. If I was starting a team from scratch I'd take him first, and it's not even close as we might say on the poker boards.

Some people are worried about his playing style, saying it will shorten his career if he doesn't learn to slide and run out of bounds. I say, forget that. They always said Barry Sanders never took a big hit, since he was so elusive. I think Vick is the same way.

Clarkmeister
12-02-2002, 02:59 AM
He is nowhere near as solidly put together as Sanders.

He clearly has the ability, but lets see him pass for more than 150yds/game before we annoint him the best QB in the game. In the end, a QB needs to be throwing first and running a distant second for his team to thrive in the NFL.

As good as he has looked, and its been very impressive, I think San Diego had the best of the trade with LT and Brees. But its close.

JTG51
12-02-2002, 03:17 AM
Strangely enough, even though you sound like you disagreed with me, I agree with everything you said.

First, Vick obviously isn't built like Sanders. My point was though, that doesn't really matter. He's so quick that he hardly ever takes a big hit (like Sanders).

Second, I don't think Vick is the best QB right now either. If I had to win a game tomorrow, I woudln't take Vick. If I was building a team for the future though, I think he's an easy choice.

Finally, I agree that San Diego probably got the better of the deal. Brees look like he's going to be a really good QB for a long time and LT (I'm not going to try to spell his name either) is already a star. A really good QB and a great RB is probably better than a great QB alone.

Mash
12-02-2002, 03:25 AM
Vick doesn't need to throw for more than 150 yards per game. Everytime he drops back to pass he poses the threat of running. Vick takes whatever the defenses give him.

QB's like Plummer on the other hand throw for 150 per game but needs to throw for 300 since his team is always behind and can't move the ball.

Clarkmeister
12-02-2002, 03:27 AM
Yeah, I wasn't really trying to disagree with you, more to just point out my particular view on things. The problem is that even as elusive as he is, one hit on his frame could take him out for a long time.

Just for information sake, his average game this year is only 15 of 25, 167yds. He is 11th in the dubious QB efficiency rating. For the year he has 9TD and 3 INT. Numbers are from the NFL.com website and I don't know if they updated through Sunday's games yet.

He's got a long way to go, but for essentially his first year at the helm, he is doing better than could have reasonably been hoped for. Anytime a rookie QB is better than a 50% TD:INT ratio, its a tremendous feat.

Mash
12-02-2002, 03:28 AM
Don't forget San Diego also got Tim Dwight in the deal, a good 3rd WR and great return man with world class speed.

JTG51
12-02-2002, 03:33 AM
I think those numbers include todays action.

I agree that to really be a great QB, he's going to have to be able to win games with his arm. After watching him this year though, I don't have much doubt that he'll be able to do that. I know a lot of QBs throw the ball more than him, but 3 INTs at this point in the season is just amazing.

Michael Davis
12-02-2002, 03:50 AM
Mash,

No offense intended, but I think Tim Dwight is a piece of crap. His claim to fame will be that great block he made earlier this season which inspired Stuart Scott's questionable use of "White Lightning."

Mike