PDA

View Full Version : Playing against super loose blinds

JTG51
12-01-2002, 05:43 PM
What strategy adjustments would you make in a shorthanded game where the blinds are super loose? When I say super loose, I mean you have zero chance of stealing the blinds with a raise before the flop. You can also assume that they will call down with almost any pair on almost any board.

It seems reasonable to me that you aren't in an automatic raise or fold situation now. Limping must become correct with more hands. I'd also think that you should fold a little more often, folding some of the hands that you might have open raised with from the cutoff or even the button.

What do you think? Are any other strategy adjustments necessary for this type of game?

Andy B
12-02-2002, 02:27 AM
There was a thread recently where several people suggested that one should always raise or fold when first in in a short-handed game. I was going to chime in with an opposing viewpoint, but I never got around to it. I think I probably limp in more than most successful short-handed hold'em players (and I do well in short-handed hold'em, much better than I do in full games). A significant reason reason to raise when first in is the chance that you might steal the blinds, which is a desirable result with most hands, even good hands. As the chance of stealing the blinds diminishes, the incentive for raising also diminishes. I'm not sure if it's directly proportional, but I don't think that that's important. If the blinds will never fold, why not limp in with a lot of hands and try to outplay them after the flop? If you raise, you'll make the pot that much bigger, and you're liable to get called down on a lot of hands that you'd prefer not to get called down on. Of course, you still raise with your better hands, but if you have JT or something, keep the pot small and see what happens.

JTG51
12-02-2002, 03:10 AM
Thanks Andy. I regularly play in a game like the one I described. It's very profitable, I've been thinking lately about how to make it more so though.

It's funny you mentioned JT, that's exactly the hand I was thinking about when i was writing the post. I started to include an example using JT, but thought I had written too much to reasonably expect anyone to read already.

I think I'm going to start limping more and raising less, it feels strange to do though.

Do you loosen your standards and play more hands that you would even in a standard short handed game in this type of situation?

CreamPuff
12-02-2002, 05:04 AM
Well, S&M mention limping with hands like A5, etc.
I totally agree if both blinds are loose.
The hand does very poorly vs. 2 loose opp's.
I would actually rather raise with Andy'y JT than
A5, unless both opp's were loose preflop and one or
both of them were very loose post flop...In other
words if you have JT,they have a hand like KQ and the flop is A92,
and they call, then they are very loose (or view you as
extremely aggressive.)

An argument can be made for limping with JT.
I wouldn't take it much further. Definetly raise
with two cards T or higher, if the kicker is a K or A
(on button).

I would still raise A5, if I was getting HU most of the
time.

Basically you have the right idea. It's somewhat
simple if you just realize how often your opp's call or
reraise you in all positions(them), then try to employ a
strategy that will make them make the biggest mistakes
postflop. Sounds tough, but you'd be surprised at
how many people stick to one unaltering strategy
shorthanded. Also keep in mind how hands do vs. 1,2,3-4
opps. and try to speculate the #, and also how aggressive,
tight or loose opps are post flop and what hands will do best.

If the blinds will never fold, why not limp in with a lot of hands and try to outplay them after the flop?
(Reply to Andy's message).

Im not disagreeing with anything you said.
I just wanted to mention that limping like this works
best vs. bad players (who are usually loose preflop..)
The problem I see a lot, is that many players always
limp, regardless of how loose/tight good/bad the other
players are.
A decent counter strategy preflop, is for the blinds to
raise you more with more hands than usual.
And postflop, I think it's even easier to read a player
that limps with mediocre hands and raises good hands.
Just some random thought to think about.