PDA

View Full Version : Nice but Economical Hotels in NY City..?

dogsballs
05-14-2005, 12:59 AM
...Are there any??

I'm travelling to NY city at the end of May and meeting my mum for 2 days/nights. Does anybody know where the best bang for the buck is for hotels in NY city. Needs to be fairly central, since it's only a coupla days and we're doing the tourist thing in central NY (she's never been).

Thanks

dogs

Jazza
05-14-2005, 01:00 AM
whatever you do when you're there, don't say mum, say mom

wuwei
05-14-2005, 01:34 AM
You didn't mention what you consider economical, but I was there last october and stayed at the Belvedere. Very nice location, under $150 a night during the week through some deal online. I would recommend it.

Ulysses
05-14-2005, 01:37 AM
How much do you feel is reasonable to pay?

dogsballs
05-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Ya, sorry. I would guess 200/night per room, give or take 50, would be good, just so long as the place is fine.

I spent that before when I was there, but the place had rumbling pipes in teh room and wasn't the cleanest.

Luv2DriveTT
05-14-2005, 04:42 PM
$200 a night is not enough for a decent room in NYC, at that price they will be all booked up already.

I reccomend staying at the Hyatt in Jersey City. Average room is $140/night, its FAR bigger than most hotel rooms you will find, and its just 5 minutes away from the World Trade Center by the PATH train, or via boat.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

dogsballs
05-14-2005, 04:49 PM
I'll go higher than 200 - just wanna make sure it's nice enough is the main thing. Staying out of the city might not be best since we're only there two days. At least my GF reckons so.

freekobe
05-14-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$200 a night is not enough for a decent room in NYC, at that price they will be all booked up already.

I reccomend staying at the Hyatt in Jersey City. Average room is $140/night, its FAR bigger than most hotel rooms you will find, and its just 5 minutes away from the World Trade Center by the PATH train, or via boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty horrible advice. If you plan on going out at night, the last thing you want to do is take the PATH home at 2am (if it even runs then). Good lord. The guy is on freaking vacation.

Try some of the hotels on the upper west side. the beacon hotel on 74th and bway comes to mind. Try priceline if all else fails.

Good luck. You'll find something

hedxcold
05-14-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty horrible advice. If you plan on going out at night, the last thing you want to do is take the PATH home at 2am (if it even runs then). Good lord. The guy is on freaking vacation.

Try some of the hotels on the upper west side. the beacon hotel on 74th and bway comes to mind. Try priceline if all else fails.

Good luck. You'll find something

[/ QUOTE ]

the path does run then, but yea, who would do that on vacation?

BottlesOf
05-14-2005, 11:09 PM
Don't mind TT, he's crazy Jersey City guy. When he suggests going there we just smile and nod.

BottlesOf
05-14-2005, 11:10 PM
Are you in NYC these days. From some posts lately it seems you may be. You should play live with us some time if you are.

Ulysses
05-15-2005, 12:23 AM
Alright, here are some reasonable choices from Expedia for May 27-29.

Helmsley Park Lane $250/night.

Melrose $209/night - sounds reasonable, not familiar w/ the hotel, though.

Paramount $263/night - I've stayed here a number of times. Small, "trendy/artsy" rooms. Very "hip" hotel. Great bar. Great midtown location, right near Times square.

Dream - $239/night. - New hotel, never heard of it, sounds interesting.

Millenium Hilton - $259/night. - This is a nice hotel I've stayed at a few times. It's downtown, which is not terribly convenient to much tourist stuff except the WTC site. It's close to Tribeca, relatively close to SoHo, the Village. Maybe the best hotel value in this list, but the midtown places are probably more convenient.

dogsballs
05-15-2005, 03:07 AM
Thanks el D

Coincidentally, we booked the helmsley already.

wonderwes
05-15-2005, 06:38 AM
We pulled a hotel off hotwire.com last year. We paid $150 a night for I believe it was called the millenium hotel, right in the heart of Times Square. It worked perfectly.

KaneKungFu123
05-20-2005, 03:13 AM
u can get a hostel bed for $30-50/night.

if u hook up just go back to her place...

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, here are some reasonable choices from Expedia for May 27-29.

Helmsley Park Lane $250/night.

Melrose $209/night - sounds reasonable, not familiar w/ the hotel, though.

Paramount $263/night - I've stayed here a number of times. Small, "trendy/artsy" rooms. Very "hip" hotel. Great bar. Great midtown location, right near Times square.

Dream - $239/night. - New hotel, never heard of it, sounds interesting.

Millenium Hilton - $259/night. - This is a nice hotel I've stayed at a few times. It's downtown, which is not terribly convenient to much tourist stuff except the WTC site. It's close to Tribeca, relatively close to SoHo, the Village. Maybe the best hotel value in this list, but the midtown places are probably more convenient.

[/ QUOTE ]