PDA

View Full Version : HOF votes

pryor15
05-13-2005, 11:09 PM
this is related to the best career pitcher thread, but i have a sinking suspicion that while Clemens may be the best active pitcher, Greg Maddux will get a higher % of the HOF votes when his time comes. Call it bad karma, a surly attitude, steroid whispers (however implausible they may be), but something tells me some writers won't vote for Clemens just because, while Maddux, well, is a model citizen.

Discuss.

tbach24
05-13-2005, 11:12 PM
I think the fact that Clemens is basically acknowledged as the best SP will make him consensus first ballot.

pryor15
05-13-2005, 11:14 PM
naturally, they both will. But who will get more votes?

tbach24
05-13-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't consensus mean that they get all the votes?

pryor15
05-13-2005, 11:18 PM
there's a % involved. I want to say, off the top of my head, that Tom Seaver has the record for highest % of votes, but that might have been broken recently. No one, to my knowledge, has ever gotten all of the votes.

some writers won't vote for people they don't like or whatever the first time if they know they'll get in on the first try.

tbach24
05-13-2005, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there's a % involved. I want to say, off the top of my head, that Tom Seaver has the record for highest % of votes, but that might have been broken recently. No one, to my knowledge, has ever gotten all of the votes.

some writers won't vote for people they don't like or whatever the first time if they know they'll get in on the first try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, writers are so stupid. I agree that because of this Maddux will probably get more.

ThaSaltCracka
05-13-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]no, just that they are first ballot HoF'ers.

Personally I think Clemens will get more, but really I don't see how it matters, both are going in their first time through.

contentless
05-13-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, writers are so stupid. I agree that because of this Maddux will probably get more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me about it. Some writers won't vote pitchers for MVP, or so they say. Until it becomes obvious that they're asses because they gave a pitcher an MVP vote THE YEAR BEFORE.

Jack of Arcades
05-13-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nolan Ryan and Tom Seaver both have 99%.
George Brett, Ty Cobb, and Hank Aaron got 98%. Yes, there's some [censored] joke of a writer who didn't vote for Hank, because nobody's ever gotten anonymous, so no one will.

Dead
05-13-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I think Clemens will get more, but really I don't see how it matters, both are going in their first time through.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are Randy, Pedro, and Glavine, though. Those guys are also guaranteed first ballot inductions.

tbach24
05-13-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So are Randy, Pedro, and Glavine, though. Those guys are also guaranteed first ballot inductions.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many guys are inducted per year? I really don't follow the politics of baseball.

Jack of Arcades
05-13-2005, 11:50 PM
Usually 2.

ThaSaltCracka
05-14-2005, 12:49 AM
there really isn't a "rule" for how many are elected, although recent trends would lead one to believe 2 to 3 get in each year.

tbach24
05-14-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
there really isn't a "rule" for how many are elected, although recent trends would lead one to believe 2 to 3 get in each year.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many votes does a candidate need? Who was inducted last year?

ThaSaltCracka
05-14-2005, 12:56 AM
I am not going to look up the % but I think its 75%.

The two most recent inductions were Sandberg and....I am drawing a blank, but it was one other.

Vince Young
05-14-2005, 12:57 AM
Boggs I think

tbach24
05-14-2005, 12:57 AM
Just looked it up. TY anyways. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/hof.shtml)

Edit- you guys are talking about 2005 I think. There it is anyways.

ThaSaltCracka
05-14-2005, 12:59 AM
ah thats right, yeah it was Boggs.

edit: Yeah we are talking about 2005.