PDA

View Full Version : How the hell do you 8-table??

Pokey
05-13-2005, 09:03 PM
I'm not talking about the nuts-and-bolts of setting up a second account; I'm talking about pure-and-simple sanity issues.

If I try 4-tabling, I get so frazzled by the speed of the action that I wind up screwing up left and right, mostly by playing too many hands and going too far with them.

How can you pay enough attention to eight different tables to play a winning game?

Niediam
05-13-2005, 09:06 PM
The same way fat people can end up running marathons...

jason_t
05-13-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not talking about the nuts-and-bolts of setting up a second account; I'm talking about pure-and-simple sanity issues.

If I try 4-tabling, I get so frazzled by the speed of the action that I wind up screwing up left and right, mostly by playing too many hands and going too far with them.

How can you pay enough attention to eight different tables to play a winning game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just train yourself. Spend a few days playing 4-tables of 0.5/1.

Pokey
05-13-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The same way fat people can end up running marathons...

[/ QUOTE ]

You use a moped??

brazilio
05-13-2005, 09:10 PM
If your hand action is as slow-reading as your longwinded cliche-ridden posts, no wonder you can't 4-table.

uw_madtown
05-13-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If your hand action is as slow-reading as your longwinded cliche-ridden posts, no wonder you can't 4-table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed.

Also, some fish on my 5/10 table just called check-call check-call check-called his AA the whole way, no flush or straights possible. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Maybe he's 8-tabling.

Catt
05-13-2005, 09:34 PM
I assume for most it is a learned skill (for a few, an inate skill). I sometimes 4-table on my laptop, but I don't have the rig (desktop; correct monitor) to 4-table regularly, let alone 8-table. My personal view is that my game becomes stale / less than I'm capable of if I do much more than 3-table -- that is a reflection of my own abilities as much as anything else. I play as a hobby (hopefully a lucrative hobby) and not having to maximize my earn allows me to play less tables than I might otherwise be capable of (and I feel I play them better than I would if I were to add a few).

scotty34
05-13-2005, 09:39 PM
When I first tried two tabling, it seemed far too fast. Now when I two-table I get bored. Four tabling at first also seemed ridiculously fast, but after a week it felt pretty normal. I haven't stepped it up above 4 yet because I don't want to without another monitor, but I assume it will be the same way. Crazy at first, but you get used to it.

BoxLiquid
05-15-2005, 04:05 AM
I admire anyone that can multi-table more than 3. I usually misclick like crazy when I have three tables all with good starting hands plus my hand gets tired. tried it with .50/1 limit at PP and my earn rate was just dropping way too much. I'd rather 1 table higher stakes if I had a choice, but that's just me. /images/graemlins/club.gif

JoshuaD
05-15-2005, 04:10 AM
The more you play (any number of tables), the easier it is. Your descisions come faster, and decisions that used to take 10 seconds become instant. I first had some trouble moving to 4-tables, and that's boring for me now. 8-tabling was insanely frantic the first time I did it, now I watch TV as I play.

Having two 1600x1200 monitors really helps too.

oreogod
05-15-2005, 05:24 AM
I 4-5 table and all I hear is crikets. I write emails, surf the net, read a little as Im playing. To me its only hectic at the beginning when u first sit down if u are in position at each table to post or start up.

Spend some time on it and then start opening more tables as u play, u get the hang of it.

aron
05-15-2005, 05:30 AM
If you feel that you are struggling with 4-tabling i think you should try to just add tables until its just impossible for a couple of hours.
After that going back to 4 will seem easy.

-aron

JoshuaD
05-15-2005, 05:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you feel that you are struggling with 4-tabling i think you should try to just add tables until its just impossible for a couple of hours.

-aron

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a nice way to dump money. Just hang out at 4, you'll get used to it.

party36master
05-15-2005, 08:57 AM
I usually 4 table.
I just 6 tabled for the first time last night.
I have a 15 inch monitor from years ago.

It was a challenge.
I think I'll get a new monitor before I try it again (who am I kidding...)

aron
05-15-2005, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's a nice way to dump money. Just hang out at 4, you'll get used to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooops, intended to say that you move down in limits while doing this.

-aron

flair1239
05-15-2005, 09:30 AM
You will always be sacraficing BB/100 winrate when you multi-table.

Personally I think you are better off playing less tables for the time being. There is a lot to learn in this game, and it is hard to learn much of it when you are rushing around to punch buttons.

This is not to say that some people are not succesful doing this. But I imagine the majority of people should play less tables and pay more attention to them.

bobbyi
05-15-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather 1 table higher stakes if I had a choice

[/ QUOTE ]
You do have a choice.

masonx
05-15-2005, 01:25 PM
work up to it.. It gets alot easier. And if you cant handle it then dont play that many tables its definately -EV. but in a few months of adding tables you will be able to handle it

CallMeIshmael
05-15-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-aron

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I moved to 0.50/1.00 to start 8-tabling. I got really overwhelmed, but then got used to it.

CallMeIshmael
05-15-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The more you play (any number of tables), the easier it is. Your descisions come faster, and decisions that used to take 10 seconds become instant. I first had some trouble moving to 4-tables, and that's boring for me now. 8-tabling was insanely frantic the first time I did it, now I watch TV as I play.

Having two 1600x1200 monitors really helps too.

[/ QUOTE ]