PDA

View Full Version : A line that may be out of line...

EverettKings
05-13-2005, 07:04 PM
$50 MTT on party. 180 entered, 60ish left.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 (t972)
CO (t6407)
Button (t7220)
SB (t1524)
Hero (t1990)
UTG (t1370)
UTG+1 (t1245)
MP1 (t1570)
MP2 (t687)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls t150, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t150, CO calls t150.

Flop: (t975) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t425</font>, Hero is all in (t1690)

In the last orbit or so I had pushed twice and not gotten called, though the Button here was close to calling me on the second. I mention this because I rate my odds of winning the hand with a preflop push low.

No fantasic reads. Button here has a big stack and has been playing his share of hands but not crazy (~30% VPIP), and is fairly aggressive. The min raise pf was a first. CO is about the same as the button, but not quite as aggressive.

In my view I had two options. Fold preflop, or call and make a play for the pot if I liked the flop. The blinds are getting big and I'm really trying to accumulate chips, and knew that both opponents here were not so poor as to be incapable of laying down missed overcards or weak pairs.

Basically, there was a nice fat pot out there that I thought I could pull down unless one of them really connected with it. Thoughts?

-Kings

ThrillFactor
05-13-2005, 07:23 PM
I don't like any of it, but if you're going to play that flop then I think an open push is in order on that draw-licious board.

The checkraise is giving him nearly 2.5 to 1 on his call.

EverettKings
05-13-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like any of it, but if you're going to play that flop then I think an open push is in order on that draw-licious board.

The checkraise is giving him nearly 2.5 to 1 on his call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the line was questionable at best.

I also agree that an open push would probably have the best chance to take down the pot, but I'm also looking for ways to get away if they won't be folding. Is there any merit in checking to see if anyone shows strength? If the CO had bet or the button had made a stronger flop bet I would have folded, but here it could have easily been a weak continuation bet. Checkraising also shows more strength and folds out a few more hands.

I honestly think that I misplayed the hand and that I realistically needed more chips and/or better position and/or a better hand to get mixed up in this pot. But I'm trying to expand my game and find new situations to exploit, as I can't just hope that my cards play themselves. In this case with a &gt;10 BB stack I had plenty of room to steal blinds and such, and that was probably the play. But I find that people are easier to outplay postflop, as often blind steal raises don't get the respect that they need to succeed. Or maybe that's a sign that I don't do that properly either.

All comments welcome

-Kings

ThrillFactor
05-13-2005, 08:19 PM
I too have been trying to better my postflop game. But in this case I think you summed it up perfectly:

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly think that I misplayed the hand and that I realistically needed more chips and/or better position and/or a better hand to get mixed up in this pot.

[/ QUOTE ]