steve allen

abbot and costello

amos and andy

red skelton

phil silvers

john beluci

andyfox
12-01-2002, 02:57 AM
I think someone (or two) metioned Red Skelton, Benny Hill, and John Belushi (in the context of the original SNL crew), all of which I agree with.

I liked Steve Allen, but I thought he was more clever than funny.

I remember laughing at the old Amos and Andy TV shows when I was a kid.

On the other side of the coin, I never liked Phil Silvers much (even though I know his daughter). Bud Abbot was anti-funny; Lou Costello was pretty good, I think, but I'd have to rank Laurel and Hardy much higher than Abbot and Costello.

snakehead
12-01-2002, 10:55 PM
I think belushi is the only really funny one on your list. but if you're picking old-timers, why not jack benny?

andyfox
12-01-2002, 11:47 PM
"He's my agent, let him earn his nine per cent."

nicky g
12-02-2002, 10:40 AM
i can't believe noone's mentioned bill hicks. he was amazing, easily the best stand-up of the 90s. eeeeeeeaaasily.
how benny hill is bigger than hicks in the states i'll never know. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
george bush is pretty funny... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

John Cole
12-02-2002, 02:20 PM
The "guy's so cheap he wouldn't give you the parsley off his fish" is the line used for an essay about Benny.

Robber: "Your money or your life." Benny: [Long Pause] "I'm thinking about it."

And, from To Be or Not to Be, Benny's priceless performance as that great, great Polish actor Joseph Tura. During Hamlet's famous speech, the American flyer leaves the theater, and Benny, playing Hamlet, just stares. Great Benny.

John