PDA

View Full Version : Kill games

Trefo
12-01-2002, 12:20 AM
played in my first 5-10 game with a Kill at Foxwoods.....never played in one before as i usually play at the Taj in AC and there are no kill games there. At the Taj i believe the next limit after 5-10 is 10-20 or 15-30....not sure.

I did like the "Kill" feature as it pumped the games up to 10-20 when a pot of 100 or more was won by a player..I think this is a great way to slowly go up in limits as it plays a few hands 10-20 and gives you a taste of the higher limits while the majority of times playing 5-10. Also, i noticed games usually went back to 5-10 right away as players tightened up and respected my raises much more and there were only a few back to back kill games. The only part i didn't like about it was forcing the winner to ante up next rd which changes the strategy a bit as you now for argument's sake you have 3 blinds.
I'm just wondering if any of you guys play differently in these types of games or change your strategies at all or do you just treat it as a normal 5-10?

HDPM
12-01-2002, 01:23 AM
You need to play a bit tighter because the penalty for winning a pot reduces your odds. But the poorest players win more of the big pots and then have a kill to "defend", so these games can be very good. When the game is tight it plays pretty normal, but if the game is loose, it is like playing 10-20 with blinds of 2&5. And that dictates tighter play in many spots. I have played some 5-10 w/ a kill (as well as 2-5 w/ kill to 5-10 and 10-20 w/1/2 kill to 15-30) and usually like the games. But I tend to be a tight player, so I think it helps me some. See Masons "rock game" essay in Poker Essays Vol. II for some reading on this kind of situation.

Dynasty
12-01-2002, 02:45 AM
I don't make any substantive change to my play in kill games. You should focus your attention on exploiting the changes your opponents are making.

...as players tightened up and respected my raises much more...

I'm assuming you're raising pre-flop only with premium holdings and post-flop with strong hands. If so, why do you want these raises to be respected? That implies that you want your opponents to fold pre-flop when you raise. Don't you want your opponents to be calling your raises with inferior hands?

Trefo
12-01-2002, 02:55 AM
Yes I do want them to call me with inferior hands....on non kill hands the game was rather loose aggressive and pre flop raises still had about 4 callers but once the kill came in they tightened up more. This was my first time in a kill so i didn't realize until towards the end of my session that limping in even with a Group I hand was a better play than raising cause if the flop hit right i could usually trap 2-3 players and they would pay me off.