PDA

View Full Version : QJo post flop play in Party 109s

Meatmaw
05-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Could I receive comments on all streets? I know preflop it's loose, but I usually play so supertight, that I try to sneak in for a few hands to use that image. On the river, I immediately swept in with the all-in without pause (the idea being to hopefully appear as a trivial steal attempt).

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t570)
UTG (t975)
UTG+1 (t1320)
UTG+2 (t1000)
MP1 (t1600)
MP2 (t845)
Hero (t945)
CO (t1375)
Button (t285)
SB (t1085)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t30, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t150) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls t120.

Turn: (t450) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (t450) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero raises all in...

Final Pot: t450

Voltron87
05-13-2005, 04:28 PM
I doubt limping here is +EV.

bluefeet
05-13-2005, 04:33 PM
if i were villian and called your flop raise on a draw...then hit it on the turn. i would check both the turn and river, waiting for you to hit it. i think you got lucky limping with QJo to hit what COULD be the best hand. if i were you, i'd be more than happy to accept the check on the river and be glad i lucked into T450.

Phil Van Sexton
05-13-2005, 04:34 PM
You check the turn?

Looks like a case of Fancy Play Syndrome to me.

augie00
05-13-2005, 04:37 PM
Bet the turn. You just made your hand. Bet it. You made your hand. Bet it. Bet it. For the love of god, bet it. River is fine, EZ all-in.

bluefeet
05-13-2005, 04:39 PM
oh [censored]....i need sleep. i didn't even realize you hit your straight.

sry....nh!

chopchoi
05-13-2005, 04:53 PM
PF, fine. You shouldn't limp with QJo from 3 off the button too often, but pretty much any hand is o.k. to limp with from time to time.

Flop, fine.

Turn: You check behind, hoping he will think you fear the queen, and will bluff on the river. You are givin a free card to him if he has a flush draw. Still, a board this co-ordinated can be a prime opportunity for inducing bluffs. I think you played it o.k., but a bet would have been better.

River: your ploy didn't work, so you go all-in, hoping to make it look like you're buying the pot. I don't like this at all. If you're plot to induce a bluff did not work, this isn't going to work either. I'd give him such a good price he'd have to call with anything but a busted draw. 150ish.

Gramps
05-13-2005, 05:20 PM
Fold preflop. Don't let the heart draw draw for free on the Turn (and MP1 has played his hand like he has a heart draw).

Elektrik
05-13-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know preflop it's loose, but I usually play so supertight, that I try to sneak in for a few hands to use that image.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your thoughts, but you're limping QJo into what is most likely going to be a multiway pot - IMO, this is one of the worst hands to start doing that with. Also, if you want to take advantage of your image, this is definitely the wrong way to do it.

If I did limp, I'm just calling that flop. I don't like putting in 150 chips with a marginal hand (TPGK) that could be so easily dominated by a range of other hands people like to limp (KJ, AJ, J9, J8, etc).

The straight on the turn's great, so get some chips in there! People like to put in chips early, rather than later in a hand usually. What do you think he's minbeting, then calling the flop with? That's the standard line that a lot of players use when they're on a heart draw; they want a cheap turn and river.

That being said, your play is incongruent with your intial statement. What exactly are you using your supertight image to represent here? HOW are you using this image? If I was some random 100 player, I probably don't even know that you're supertight, and my KJo or whatever looks pretty good on that flop. Do you honestly think that players are going to give you this respect, and lay down their marginal hands? And if that's the case, does it even matter what your cards are here? Some things to think about...

curtains
05-13-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Could I receive comments on all streets? I know preflop it's loose, but I usually play so supertight, that I try to sneak in for a few hands to use that image. On the river, I immediately swept in with the all-in without pause (the idea being to hopefully appear as a trivial steal attempt).

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t570)
UTG (t975)
UTG+1 (t1320)
UTG+2 (t1000)
MP1 (t1600)
MP2 (t845)
Hero (t945)
CO (t1375)
Button (t285)
SB (t1085)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t30, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t150) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls t120.

Turn: (t450) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (t450) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero raises all in...

Final Pot: t450

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't limp with QJo here. It's by far more of a hole than anything else you ask about in this hand, so much so that it's almost pointless to go over the rest of it. Work on doing the simple things right before fixing the more complicated things. Reminds me of how my dad always wanted to know when it was correct to fold AA, when he could barely fold K9o in the cutoff seat to a min raise.