PDA

View Full Version : Flush + Gutshoot draw on the flop

jhall23
05-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Obviously button limp here is kinda lame, don't really know what happened. Could be a brain malfunction cause I was 3 tabling to clear the empire bonus.

SB is kinda Laggish but not super lag.
BB in this hasn't been around long, so far looks reasonable but a small raise from the BB is odd.

Seems like I'll have no fold equity since it's only ~15 back to BB. Do I have enough equity here to push it in or should I fold this. I see now from two dimes I'm ~33% against a set so I'm thinking I should push it in.

Is this a better plan then just calling the flop and seeing the turn? I rarely ever simply call on my draws but he sure gave me a good price.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB ($88.32)
BB ($56.7)
UTG ($61.33)
MP ($63.15)
CO ($173.47)
Hero ($47.25)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.50, SB (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $1.5</font>, Hero calls $1.50, SB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($6) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $30</font>.

jhall23
05-14-2005, 07:10 PM
All right after having time to do some math after the fact I think I can definetly push here as I only need villian to have something besides a set or bigger flush draw a pretty low percentage of the time. I think that should be a pretty safe assumption.

So maybe a good discussion might be on how often it would be better to simply take the excellent effective odds that I'm being offered as opposed to raising which would gain some fold equity while also disguising my hand to make it easier to get paid off if the flush hits instead of the straight. I'm much more likely to be raising here by default but I'm starting to wonder how often I should start playing my draws straight forward.

pk Wools
05-14-2005, 07:49 PM
i feel like how you play your draws is up to your opponent

some ppl will run from a third suit (a non suited Ten here will prolly pay off for most opponents), others will bet into, you push if you think they won't pay off your draws (in this case you probably have higher fold equity on the flop with this kind of player neway)

if they are the opposite type, you would be making a mistake by not saving your chips when u def. have the better of it.

pk Wools
05-14-2005, 07:52 PM
also i didnt notice that BB didn't have much chips left... so you have very little fold equity this hand

jhall23
05-14-2005, 07:57 PM
He has a full buy-in pre-flop so I should have at least some fold equity on the first raise against at least Ax or something like JJ,TT. This guy wasn't around long enough to really know how much though. If you are referring to re-raising when it gets back to me I definetly feel I have none.

pk Wools
05-14-2005, 08:05 PM
pushing after the $3 is not too bad, but judging by the $30 follow up, he might have called neway

jhall23
05-14-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pushing after the $3 is not too bad, but judging by the $30 follow up, he might have called neway

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it's probably +EV to push but I don't think that pushing would maximize my EV in this spot. I think any move we make on the flop here is +EV since we are getting good such good effective odds.