PDA

View Full Version : Problems with playing online poker from abroad

veganmav
05-13-2005, 01:20 PM
I am going to be living in Japan for a year to study abroad through my university, and I was wondering if others know anything about problems playing abroad. I have heard about frozen acounts the first time you login from abroad, or trouble in cashing out. And I'm not sure how I'm going to get the money since my american bank doesn't exist in Japan. I am a little worried that I might encounter some problems. Does anyone have any knowledge or advice about this subject?

Thank you

splashpot
05-13-2005, 01:26 PM
I am playing from Hong Kong now with money funded from an American bank account. Every time I open a new Party skin account, I have to call support to sort out the identity issue. You might be asked to fax or scan your passport and proof that you're in Japan. After all that though, you should be set.

Another thing to look out for is sucky internet connections. I get disconnected all the time. More at some sites than others.

veganmav
05-13-2005, 02:42 PM
What are you doing in hong kong? Are you American? thanks for the tips.. but, How do you get your money? How do you cash out?

vilemerchant
05-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Just get a Neteller debit card before you go.

lostinthought
05-13-2005, 03:13 PM
I'll be living in Japan next year, but I'm hoping to be able to play as well.

flub
05-13-2005, 07:29 PM
I know Japan is a little behind the times but I'll bet they have these things called ATM machines there which you can use with your bank card from the states. Otherwise, no problems.

-f

veganmav
05-13-2005, 08:18 PM
Why will you be living in Japan? what city will you be in? I got a citibank account today, they have ATM's in Japan so it will be free. What limits/site do you play on? Do you speak japanese?

veganmav
05-13-2005, 08:18 PM
the neteller card sucks. it has so many fees and surcharges or wahtever

Granite
05-13-2005, 08:34 PM
Call Netteller before you go too, and tell them you will be travelling. They will lock your account for security issues if you login from another country.

Granite

MicroBob
05-13-2005, 08:36 PM
my new favorite avatar.

veganmav
05-13-2005, 08:37 PM
good point,thanks a lot, and anyone else is welcome to contribute tips to keep me up and playin in japan

splashpot
05-13-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are you doing in hong kong? Are you American? thanks for the tips.. but, How do you get your money? How do you cash out?

[/ QUOTE ]
I am studying abroad in Hong Kong. I am American. I deposit money into Party through IGMPay from my American bank account. I withdraw from Party into my Neteller account so I can play at other sites besides Party. I cashout in reverse.

veganmav
05-13-2005, 11:44 PM
What do you play on party? just curious, I multitable 5/10 on party everyday

splashpot
05-14-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you play on party? just curious, I multitable 5/10 on party everyday

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see what that has to do with playing abroad. But I play 2/4 full or 1/2 short.

veganmav
05-14-2005, 01:20 AM
I was just gonna make sure I avoid you at the tables /images/graemlins/smile.gif

veganmav
05-14-2005, 11:34 AM
Just out of curiosity how is your study abroad going? Did you get any scholarships? how is yourl anguage skill coming? Did party try to veryify you for seciruty reasons the first time you played from hong kong?

Folding Pete
05-14-2005, 12:07 PM
I'm moved to Thailand for 6 months to play poker at more reasonable hours. No problem in playing on Party or the crypto sites I play. The main issue is that (IGM) Party checks your ISP location and won't allow me to make deposits or withdrawls. I would guess that Thailand is a special case. I get my brother to do them from back home.

The best thing to do is open up accounts on all the site you think you want to play before you go AND make a real deposit there. If you can complete the cycle of making a withdrawl too then it should be completely nailed before you leave.

Always be folding

Folding Pete

veganmav
05-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Have you ever encountered any security issues with party?
To veryify that you went abroad, or to stop you from making deposits/withdrawls?

THanks

veganmav
05-15-2005, 04:17 PM
How is thailand? i hear everything is real cheap there!
what do you do with your time? just curious

Punker
05-15-2005, 05:06 PM
I had no problems playing from South Korea two years ago, or Costa Rica presently. The advice about contacting NETeller first is very good and you should absolutely do that.

veganmav
05-15-2005, 06:41 PM
Playing poker abroad and being able to live off of it was kind of a dream of mine. I love traveling and want to be able to have free time to do what I want, and travel and learn many languages. I am excited to be able to go to asia and support myself through poker, and immerse myself in the culture... Thanks a lot about the neteller tip!

imitation
05-15-2005, 06:44 PM
"Some" problems playing from china. All cypto sites are blocked, "some" party skins, other sites not so sure. As long as you prepare your downloads in advance should be ok to access the networks though. Cost of living is v. cheap. I am loving living here and playing though and would not change my situation.

RPMick
05-15-2005, 07:09 PM
It works just fine.

Party sites do give you a little grief, but it's all sorted out in a phone call.

Where in Japan will everyone be? Anyone going to be up north?

-Ryan

RPMick
05-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Forgot one thing....Neteller will ask you to close your old and open your new account most likely.

That was pretty painless and the transferred the cash I had in the old account over to the new one. You cannot withdrawl from Neteller to a US bank account from Japan. That's my only gripe. Have to use the check option or I'm sure the ATM card would be a good idea.

So, instead my bankroll will just grow and grow cause I don't want to deal with getting a check and mailing it back to the states for deposit.

-Ryan

Emperor
05-15-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm moved to Thailand for 6 months to play poker at more reasonable hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTH. This was your main reason for moving to Thailand?

veganmav
05-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Thtat's awesome, I hope to live in China and play on party to support myself, that's after I get done with Japan for a year /images/graemlins/smile.gif

veganmav
05-15-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Where in Japan will everyone be? Anyone going to be up north?

-Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

From June to september i'll be in kyoto, from september 2005 to june 2006 I'll be in tokyo, and I figured i'd take some vacations during that time to china for a week or two, and taiwan, and vietnam

splashpot
05-15-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiosity how is your study abroad going? Did you get any scholarships? how is yourl anguage skill coming? Did party try to veryify you for seciruty reasons the first time you played from hong kong?

[/ QUOTE ]
Study abroad is amazing. You'll have a great time. I've had possibly the best year of my life here. It's good that you like to travel. I recommend doing as much traveling as possible. I traveled to 7-8 different countries while I was here and I still wish I did more traveling. I was in Japan last week. I hope you know a little Japanese though, the English in Japan is very minimal. Here in Hong Kong they speak Cantonese and English. I know enough Cantonese to get by, but if I ever have a problem communicating, I always have the option to ask in English. I don't think you'll have that convenience in Japan. Party didn't bother me about playing in Hong Kong, just when I opened an account at Empire and Pokernow. If you decide to make a trip to Hong Kong, PM me and I'll let you know where all the hotspots are.

imitation
05-16-2005, 01:30 AM
Hey I regularly visit HK as I am in Guangzhou, HK is nice but learning chinese there would be v. difficult as all locals speak english(most) and usually quite well. Very different here in Guangzhou, I study 15hrs/week chinese language at university. My cantonese is ok (my ex-gf is ABC so I learnt a bit from her before coming) my mandarin is coming leaps and bounds in only 1week of courses. I have been here 1month and hope to stay 1-2yrs or more.

Also cost of living in mainland is much much better than HK.

KaneKungFu123
06-22-2005, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know Japan is a little behind the times but I'll bet they have these things called ATM machines there which you can use with your bank card from the states. Otherwise, no problems.

-f

[/ QUOTE ]