PDA

View Full Version : Range of hands they usually call your all in

sirio11
05-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Late in the tournament, and lets suppose you go all in with a stack between 4x and 8x (x= big blind)

What do you think is the range of hands such that if they have that hand they call you.

They call if:

Pairs: AA up to 55?
Ax: AK,AQ up to A9?
Kx: KQ,KJ?
Other?

tipperdog
05-13-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Late in the tournament, and lets suppose you go all in with a stack between 4x and 8x (x= big blind)

What do you think is the range of hands such that if they have that hand they call you.

They call if:

Other?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's possible to generalize. Depends too much on opponent's tendencies, stack sizes, and the payout structure. Aggressive players will call with a broad range of hands. Big stacks may feel like "gambling." Short stacks hoping to climb one more spot will fold more, etc.

bugstud
05-13-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

They call if:

Other?

[/ QUOTE ]

we're going to need more info on relative positions. I think this is a good BB range if you opened in MP or so, but not a good button range if you opened EP, etc etc. A lot of variables.

You could determine a rough % of when you will always be called, though. That much would be easier.

sirio11
05-13-2005, 01:14 PM
Ok, lets try to find the range when you go all in in

a) MP
b) LP

and lets suppose all the stacks left to act have between 6x and 20x (no monster stacks)

sdplayerb
05-13-2005, 02:00 PM
4x and 8x are completely different animals, as is how many x the bb they have, plus the buyin and there position (BB will call with more hands than the cutoff).

Cleveland Guy
05-13-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

They call if:

Other?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is way to broad of a question.

How often has the short stack been pushing? from what positions? etc.....

Last night I had a short stack who open pushed from the C0 2 times in a row against my BB.

I was a huge, huge big stack, I think blinds were like 500/1000 and I had over 70K.

The third time he pushed - Had a very medicore suited King.

Sure enough - he pushes, I call with my K6s.

Turns out he has 88- but I spike a K on the turn and take him out.

I don't make this play if

1. I'm not a big stack
2. He hasn't done this the 2 previous orbits.

sirio11
05-13-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm trying to find a range of hands; I don't want you to tell me. I'm calling with AQo 48.567% of the time. Or if the BB has 4.567x and the raiser 6.5879x then I'm calling with AT or better 35.678% of the time.
So in order to define a range of hands, you don't need to be that precise.

sirio11
05-13-2005, 02:13 PM
This is not a specific real tournament situation. I'm trying to do a general analysis in order to determine which range of hands are better to go all in. I just want you to opine based in your experience in a very general way.
The ultimate objective is to prove how is better to go all in with hands like T9 than Ax where x=2,3,4,5,6,7. And establish a hand ranking to go all in when you have to.

SeriousStudent
05-13-2005, 02:32 PM
Interestingly I made the same analysis. On average, and not considering a specific player or situation, what hands am I generally called by with a 6x BB all in? I did not do a complete analysis of prior play to determine the result but only an approximation.

All in MP and LP except button or small blind - called by AA-66, AK-AT, KQ

All in EP - AA-99, AK, AQ

All in button or small blind - AA-44, AK-A6, KQ, KJ

The purpose of the analysis was to do a EV calculation given these assumptions. Given hands I might be the first to go all in with, and given that I would be called by these range of hands, what are the chances that someone remaining has one of these hands, and what would be my EV on average.

If everone folds, my expected "post all in stack" is 7.5BB.

If there is a caller, I can compare my specific all in hand with the range to determine my odds of winning the heads up all in.

This is only an analysis to give you more information to work with, and does not dictate a specific play to make in a specific situation.

An outcome of the analysis which is probably already understood by those on the forum, with 4 players to act including the blinds, using this analysis 88,77,66, AJ, AT, KQ suited or unsuited are all negative EV.

sdplayerb
05-15-2005, 01:50 PM
then the range you put out is fine.
and i didn't mean always you need a precise %, but you are more likely to be called by A9 when you have 4x than 8x.