PDA

View Full Version : Are backing requests appropriate for any forum other than Classifieds?

usmfan
05-13-2005, 12:09 PM
First, this is not a flame on anyone. Least of all Gavin. But there's a new thread in the general forum seeking backers here. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2382265&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#Post2384802)
With the WSOP approaching , I could see this getting out of hand as people look for backers. I'm trying to be forum police but at what point is somebody going to step in and say that this is just another type of spam. 1, 5, 10 posts a day? Just food for thought.

BTW, I enjoyed reading Gavin's backing request and even briefly considered it.

CardSharpCook
05-13-2005, 01:32 PM
I think that backing requests are a part of poker. While I agree with you that it is borderline spam reading these crackerjacks with (1) post asking for money from total strangers, for the active member of this forum, there is no more logical place to turn. True, we all have family and friends outside of the poker world, but these people rarely understand that "this is not gambling", and seldom have the money or stomach for such a risky investment.

This is the community we can and should turn to for help or collaboration. I don't mind that this forum is sometimes used for that. I can only hope that players who are not known here understand that no one is going to invest in a total stranger, but sadly these are the same players who haven't seen backing requests flamed again and again.

Finally, a forum ban - ie one in which we notify the moderator every time a backing request shows up - puts more work on the backs of our friendly moderators just to save our eyes from the offense of a backing request. An informal ban would only effect those aware of it - ie players who might actually find support.

I say, keep the requests coming, but know that 95% of all backing requests are flamed, and the 5% that receive support are those made by known and respected posteers.

CSC

usmfan
05-13-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm NOT trying to be forum police

[/ QUOTE ]
Fixed my own post.

Yeah, CSC. Just curious what others' take on it was. My guess is that the forum is self-policing on backer requests through the use of flames.

CardSharpCook
05-13-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm NOT trying to be forum police

[/ QUOTE ]
Fixed my own post.

Yeah, CSC. Just curious what others' take on it was. My guess is that the forum is self-policing on backer requests through the use of flames.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - actually, I admired your ambition in becoming forum police. Yeah, we are kinda self-policing, besides, backing requests often provide a "moment of levity" in an otherwise serious forum.

CSC