PDA

View Full Version : CURSES! Damaged my 2001fp -- what now?

teddyFBI
05-13-2005, 12:08 PM
I moved apartments and despite my best efforts to insulate the box carrying my 2 2001fps, I turned them on just now to find that one of them has what I can only describe as a "dark spot" around the size of a fingerprint. It's not dead pixels...rather the screen still shows color under the damaged spot, except it's darker than everything surrounding it.

So anyway:
a) anyone know just what kind of damage this is, and whether it's fixable?
b) I bought the thing 6 months ago...will Dell repair this, and if so, how much would it cost...?

emonrad87
05-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Why dont you try e-mailing dell for their repair prices?

Terry
05-13-2005, 01:34 PM
I assume you have tried Windex?

Dead pixels can sometimes be brought back to life by rubbing them. Don’t know if it will help in your situation but might be worth a try. Wrap finger in a towel to prevent scratching and rub it a bit.

MowrMowr
05-13-2005, 02:24 PM
I had the same thing. I described it to the rep as "ghosting" for lack of a better term (it also occurred during shipping) and they replaced it under warranty within 24 hours.

teddyFBI
05-13-2005, 04:39 PM
Really? what's the standard 2001fp warranty?? I figured it was 90 days at most...I've had this thing for about 6 months now. Might it still be under warranty?

MowrMowr
05-13-2005, 05:06 PM
I'm fairly certain it's 1 year.

teddyFBI
05-13-2005, 06:02 PM
Thanks! Just got off the phone with them and a new one is on its way as we speak. Took 45 mins with an Indian CS dude, but i'm so happy to be getting one of my twin babies fixed. i came back from a 2 week vacation and actually talked to them i missed them so much.

ripped
05-13-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks! Just got off the phone with them and a new one is on its way as we speak. Took 45 mins with an Indian CS dude, but i'm so happy to be getting one of my twin babies fixed. i came back from a 2 week vacation and actually talked to them i missed them so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know you've been playing poker too long when...

I seriously "lol"ed at this

liquidboss
05-13-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm a little curious as to what you told them. Did you let them know that you caused the damage, or that it came that way and you didn't call for a few months? I moved a few days ago and while packing up the 2001FP wondered what I would do if I damaged it. What does their warranty cover?