PDA

View Full Version : The bachelor's life is to damn expensive!

LALDAAS
05-13-2005, 10:21 AM
I have been living the bachelor's life now for 10 years. In order of importance Booze,Smokes and eating out. I blow about a $1500 to $2000 a month on just these 3 aspects of my life and sometimes more.

I am sick of it!

Help me! I seriously need to change my life style.

The #1 thing that burns me up the most is my frige is forever empty.

Where and how does one aquire manufactures cupons?

I was talking to a buddy at work and he has been telling my how his wife hits up the gerocery store on triple coupon days and can fill the house for around 100 bucks.

This weekend I took my girl to the fantastic portuguese restruant. The food was awsome but the bill was $127.

I cant stand this anymore , I will from this point on, will learn how to cook!

I am attempting to become a cheap bastard. I have no choice in this decision. I am planning on doing the marriage this soon and really need to start socking my cash in the bank then blowing it on booze (I drink like a fish) and eating out constantly.

Any advise would be apperciated

SmileyEH
05-13-2005, 10:27 AM
Pasta (just buy tomato sauce, add whatever)
Barbeque (hamburgers, steak, fajitas etc.)
Salad
Bacon and Eggs (eat this for breakfast every morning unless your metabolism sucks)

Right there is enough variety for me.

-SmileyEH

Stupendous_Man
05-13-2005, 10:30 AM
Definitely learn how to cook. It's a lot cheaper and can be fun. As for the booze, can't help. Reading all the damn threads recently on wine has me wanting to get back into build an inventory only to drink it all again! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't do the coupon thing, but all the grocery stores here have "reward" type cards where you can get discounts just by using the card. For example, last week one store had NY Strips on sale. Normally $9.99/lb, with card they were $5.98/lb. The stores track your savings and over the course of a year I know I say over $1M.

bwana devil
05-13-2005, 10:30 AM
if you think marriage is a sound financial plan, youre in for a rude awakening.

ilikeaces
05-13-2005, 10:31 AM
I spend about 3k a month on booze and eating out dont worry about it your not alone.

namknils
05-13-2005, 10:32 AM
I love being a cheap bastard, it's fun.

For coupons I just buy the weekend paper and there is a whole section full of them.

Also, do you have an ALDI store near you? This is the cheapest grocery store on the planet, and some of their food is really good. I love it. It's all generic brands, but you can get almost everything you need there for next to nothing. ALDI (http://www.aldifoods.com/)

sublime
05-13-2005, 10:32 AM
ummmm quit smoking?

Rhone
05-13-2005, 10:34 AM
I think you can forget about coupons if they're too much of a pain in the ass for you, because if you start cooking more your grocery bill will plumet anyway: raw ingredients will be cheaper than the prepared foods you're probably buying now.

There are tons of cooking web sites to get you started. Or just go to a used book store and buy a cook book that appeals to you. Maybe one specifically written for beginners, and one comprehensive one you can always refer to, like Joy of Cooking or something.

good luck...

swede123
05-13-2005, 10:36 AM
One thing that works pretty well is to buy your meat/chicken/seafood in one of those wholesale packages. Sometimes you see these things advertised in the Skymall Magazine on airplanes. Basically you buy a whole assload of steaks, burgers and what-not, put them in your freezer, and thaw them as you need them. A couple of hundred bucks will seriously set you up with steaks for six months (assuming you eat steak twice a week or so). Sweet deal really. Once you have the main course ready it's pretty easy to cook some pasta or rice, bake a potato, or just make a yummy salad to go with it. Good and easy!

Swede

DavidC
05-13-2005, 10:36 AM
I don't think coupons is the answer: cooking is. Eating out is probably my #1 expense too.

Luckily I don't drink, smoke, drive, or have kids, so my expenses are more like in the neighbourhood of $600-1k wasted per month. Still, though, that's like $7200 a year if you didn't pay those people at restaurants.

IF I could make a pact with myself that a car would mean no eating out unless with friends, etc. then a car may not be too expensive.. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stupendous_Man
05-13-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I spend about 3k a month on booze and eating out dont worry about it your not alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap, I think I would be bankrupt if I did this.

LALDAAS
05-13-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if you think marriage is a sound financial plan, youre in for a rude awakening.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I need a sound financial plan so I can get married. I know my girl and it is a safe bet this wedding is going to be an EASY 60k to 70k

Hopeful her parents will be tossin in a large chunk of this.

LALDAAS
05-13-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL 3k is easy to do also

LALDAAS
05-13-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ummmm quit smoking?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have consider this option a few times then came to the conclusion I will probally give up my left nut before this happens. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I love smoking!

howzit
05-13-2005, 10:42 AM
i think you answered your own question. . .

keep a few boxes of pasta, buy chicken in bulk and freeze it, make like a stew/curry/chili and eat that for a day or two, stuff to make sandwiches, keep a carton of eggs.

Hit up COSTCO/Rite Aid for beer and get your friends from down south to ship you cartons of smokes.

Clubs and restaurants are a killer, but you know that.

DonBaker
05-13-2005, 10:43 AM
the best solution for the booze is : make your beer yourself! it's good and it's cheap!

chaas4747
05-13-2005, 10:47 AM
We had this problem when my GF and I first started dating. The answer is to do more stuff at home, rather than going out. We both like to drink. You can set yourself up for a week in a liquor store with what it would cost you for two hours in a bar. On top of that we plan meals (about 5 a week, leave two nights for going out) and shop together, this is a lot of fun, and girls love it. We grill or cook at home. Usually chicken, seafood, or turkey. You can go to Recipes (http://www.bettycrocker.com/) for meals plans. My GF loves the fact that I cook for her, and I think most girls do. Can't help you with the smoking thing, we both do that also. We do buy ours by the carton rather than the pack. I would say between the two of us we are probably saving $1000 a month that we used to spend.

jackdaniels
05-13-2005, 10:51 AM
Here is your key to saving on your expenses:

"Shop in stores with concrete floors"

Walmart, Costco, Sam's club - etc...

All these stores will sell you whatever you need in bulk. Stock up by buying bulk of the stuff you KNOW you like and KNOW you need (don't use this as an opportunity to TRY the new flavoured popcorn, you may hate it and be stuck with 4 pounds of it). Buy lots of ready meals for your transition period - this is key because you will likely get home hungry one day soon and say "[censored] it, I don't have time to cook now - I just wanna eat" - save yourself $20 by being prepared for this moment (Campbells soup, frozen pizza or a hungry man meal is the way I go, choose your own poisin) - much cheaper that ordering from Dominoes or going out.

Last, but not least: DO NOT change your lifestyle as your income grows. If you get married, you will find yourself with a double income household - splitting all household expenses. It is easy to think that this is your opportunity to get that new car, go on that nice vacation or buy her that nice jewelery - skip that [censored] for at least a year, figure out where you are financially and THEN decide if you want to splurge a bit.

Good luck man.

stigmata
05-13-2005, 10:55 AM
"bill was $127."

That's pathetic, like time I went out was more like £127, but then they do rip us off in this country.

Get in to cooking.... It's a chore at first, but once you begin to understand what your doing, you realise that all this stuff you pay $$$ for in a poncy restraunt is really easy to make at a small portion of the price. Don't worry about budgeting, get really good, fresh produce and it is a real pleasure to cook & eat, and it still works out relatively cheap.

bosoxfan
05-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Buy a grill use it whenever the weather permits.

Bukem_
05-13-2005, 11:07 AM
Am I the only one who thinks its a million times cheaper to be a bachelor?

Shajen
05-13-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who thinks its a million times cheaper to be a bachelor?

[/ QUOTE ]
No it definitely is.

However, I think the OP is in that state where when he and his girl go out he ends up fotting the bill all the time. (Nothing wrong with this)

He probably also pays for her drinks when they are out. Therefore, he's already experienced the financial aspect of marriage. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

to the OP: 60-70k for a wedding?

Seriously? Why?

handsome
05-13-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I love being a cheap bastard, it's fun.

For coupons I just buy the weekend paper and there is a whole section full of them.

Also, do you have an ALDI store near you? This is the cheapest grocery store on the planet, and some of their food is really good. I love it. It's all generic brands, but you can get almost everything you need there for next to nothing. ALDI (http://www.aldifoods.com/)

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing I have ever bought in an Aldi has been good. I have bought tons of [censored], from meat to cheese to candy to shampoo. Cheap but the worse quality

namknils
05-13-2005, 11:16 AM
I don't buy meats there, well, I do buy their burgers and chicken breasts and I think they're good. But for good meats like a roast or a steak you have to go to the real grocery store. I do buy a lot there though.

LALDAAS
05-13-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
to the OP: 60-70k for a wedding?

Seriously? Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well as of right now I am pretty sure we are looking in the area 250+ heads.

In Semptember my GF and I went to her cousins wedding. That was thier number. Her family is HUGE!

The groom side of the family was very small. My family is very large.

I am doomed. Probally looking at more like 350+

My GF cousin new hubbie and I spoke and he told my the whole thing cost him 50k from start to finish.

So if we look at it

$50,000/250= $200 per head

estimating about 350 peeps:
$200*350= $70,000

Both my GF and I agree we would like to have the reception in the same establishment. ( It was very nice )

I am sure I can work out some things to bring this cost down.

All I am hoping is the rents pick alot of this up. From what I understand from the whispers from GF family is her parents have been setting money aside for this day for a long time.

Of course these whispires could have been tricks and ploys to get me to [censored] or get off the pot.

The best news of all GF cousin's hubbie had revealed that do to the wedding gifts not only did they break even with the cost of the wedding but it covered the cost of the honeymoon.

AsiaKurosawa
05-13-2005, 12:48 PM
I used to really be into this... Had am empty summer and an empty fridge a few years ago.

For excellent boards on couponing tips/etc:
http://dealagogo.com/ (offshoot of fatwallet's old coupon boards)
http://tinyurl.com/d66uh (Bargainshare)

Couponing + "cooking," imo, is kinda hard since coupons are generally for prepackaged foods (frozen, boxed) instead of things you actually *cook* (meats, milk, veggies). I stopped b/c I was just stocking the freezer w/ frozen foods and mac&queso. You can find coupons for meat/veggies/cheese/milk on bottles of wine; visit the above forums for where/how to find them.

Aside though, I have like a billion jars of pasta sauce, pasta, peanut butter and other non-perishables that I got for free/near free & am trying to still use (halfheartedly). Couponing for me saved more on household items (toilet paper, soap, shampoos...)

http://www.dealideal.com is a "coupon decoding" board-- coupon barcodes notoriously don't match up to what's written on the coupon, and this board shows ppl how to decode them to their advantage (doubling coupons that aren't supposed to double, buying $1/2 instead of the $1/4 written on the face of the coupon, etc...) It's a small thrill to decode and pray the cashier doesn't notice (many ppl use the automatic scanners @ their grocery stores, I don't have them here).

http://taylortowncoupons.com publishes a list of Sunday coupons a few days before Sunday, so you can find out if it's worth it to buy the paper (in bulk, even). You can also use it to match sales to coupons (most grocery stores in my area run their sales Weds-Tues).

Ebay is a great place to buy bulk coupons if you're starting out in it-- usually run 10/$1 but watch the shipping charges. If you really get into buying them (I did, I hated buying bulk Sunday papers), there are "coupon clipping services" -- I used to scan their pages & order coupons of things I actually used (instead of getting a bunch of Sunday Depends coupons from the Sunday paper.) You can find info on the clipping services on the boards above.

Aside from couponing, I'm carrying on a love affair w/ Trader Joes. I thought it was just a haven for bay area yuppies, but everything there is less expensive (without coupons) as far as cereal, frozen foods go. Milk & meat are more expensive (organic) but delicious /images/graemlins/smile.gif I like their frozen foods a LOT, easy lunches that are not messy (I hate dishpan hands.) They also have a lot of "skillet" type frozen meals that are a step up from the microwave & can feed more than one... Also have precut & frozen bags of veggies (more than regular market fare), making cooking even easier.

Another thing I'm going to try re: cooking is "Dream Dinners." You pay about $200 for the equivalent of 24, 2-3 person meals you put together yourself at their facilities (they cut, prepare food-- you pack it & take it home to freeze.) The usual plan is 12 meals that feed 4-6, but they let you package it in smaller 1/2 containers.

The recipes look AWESOME and a friend from school who's married w/ kid loved it as well. Super busy though, every session I wanted to attend has been full. http://dreamdinners.com It may give you a good idea about what goes into cooking (sounds silly, but if you're starting from scratch...)

Also, try & catch a few "30 minute meals" on foodtv, or "semihomemade" or that kind of program on foodtv-- it's a good way to learn quick cooking methods & get inspired... http://www.foodtv.com also has the show recipes, so you can take a scroll & see if anything floats your boat re: cooking. I don't watch food tv anymore but check their sites for recipes of current shows /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck, hope this helps.

aK

swede123
05-13-2005, 12:48 PM
I got married last year, and we had a similar size wedding/reception, 250-300 people total. There are tons of things you can do to reduce the cost a bit. Obviously these short-cuts will make your wedding/reception less formal/fancy but this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Seriously, $200 per person is a lot of money, especially if the food is a buffet format. Look at a caterer who will only provide the food. I'm certain that you guys have family/friends that are willing to help out with decorations, serving, cleaning etc.

Buy your own booze. This alone will save thousands compared to renting a fully stocked bar complete with bar tenders, not to mention you get to pick what you want instead of whatever brands of beer/wine/liquor the bar carries.

Swede

jackdaniels
05-13-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Buy your own booze. This alone will save thousands compared to renting a fully stocked bar complete with bar tenders, not to mention you get to pick what you want instead of whatever brands of beer/wine/liquor the bar carries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent advice. I worked as a bartender in a wedding hall for a few years and they wouldn't allow it, but if you are allowed to do this, you will save thousands.

thirddan
05-13-2005, 01:01 PM
become a member of price club or costco or one of those buy everything in bulk places...its a lot cheaper than going to the market and you will have to go less frequently cuz you always get a shitload of stuff...

Shajen
05-13-2005, 01:17 PM
Wow man, I feel you.

The only family I have left are my grandparents, and they are both too old to travel..so I had 0 family at my wedding. This forced my wife to keep it small. (Her family has around 75 people in it, just in the state of Georgia alone)

99% of the time not having any relatives sucks. This was the 1 time it wasn't a bad thing.

I understand where you are coming from though, and damn I hope her parents have enough cash to pay for most of it. I'm a believer in not starting off your new life together in debt. It sounds like you've thought it through though, so that's definitely a good thing.

GL man, and congrats for when you do tie the knot.

Bluffoon
05-13-2005, 01:22 PM
You're [censored]. Just wait till you get married. Then you will really be broke. And it only gets worse when you have kids. Where you are at now is as good as it gets. Five years from now you are going to be making a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich on your way to the store to buy formula and diapers and dreaming of the days when you had the time and money for a fancy meal at a portuguese retaurant.

Oh and for good cheap portuguese food get some takeout from stephanies in Roselle Park.

lu_hawk
05-13-2005, 01:25 PM
i can relate. clipping coupons will not be the answer, how much can that really save you? maybe $100/month at the most but i doubt that much. what is needed is a lifestyle change. i am much better about having food in the house now, and this saves a lot of money as opposed to going to get a $7 sandwich or whatever when i get hungry.

also, quit smoking for obvious financial and health reasons. booze isn't a problem, you need to have some fun after all.

Bluffoon
05-13-2005, 01:27 PM
For god's sake run off to vegas and get hitched. Sell it as romantic and bribe her with a two carat diamond ring.

Don't forget to post a trip report.

FishNChips
05-13-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Move to SoCal Buy a grill use it All Year Long!

[/ QUOTE ]

slight edit...

LALDAAS
05-13-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh and for good cheap portuguese food get some takeout from stephanies in Roselle Park.

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there it totally awsome! Forgot you lived near me lol.

We went over to Uropia's in Elizabeth If you ever have a chance the found is awsome.

bernie
05-13-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have been living the bachelor's life now for 10 years. In order of importance Booze,Smokes and eating out. I blow about a $1500 to $2000 a month on just these 3 aspects of my life and sometimes more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't get married until I got a handle on this. $1750 a month is a ridiculous amount to spend on this stuff.

b

jack spade23
05-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Dont know if this has already been said, but besides frozen food, frozen orange juice is huge. Youre not buying a carton every other day and its cheap. You can make it with tap water. We do it at our house and it saves $$$ like no other. Cant do it w/ milk though, unless youre a powder type of guy.

LALDAAS
05-13-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't get married until I got a handle on this. $1750 a month is a ridiculous amount to spend on this stuff.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree It isnt really a matter of getting a hold of it. Its just damn easy to do.

I have 6 best friends. We will get toghter tonight get bombed.

We will wake up grab breakfast at the dinner.

From there hit up the golf course or stick ball. Then shower up hit up a late lunch or dinner and proceed the intoxication.

Swing by my house for a card game, then go bar hoping, finishing the night up at the strip club until the sun comes up /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sunday lazy day...and a card game.

I do this about every other weekend becuase thats my GF work scheduel. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

On her weekends off I am the all american clean cut do no wrong 20's sometihing boyfriend, taking her out and spoiling her when I have to.

theredpill5
05-13-2005, 04:49 PM
stop spending so much damn money on your girlfriend.

xadrez
05-13-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We went over to Uropia's in Elizabeth If you ever have a chance the found is awsome.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you guys are talking about Portuguese restaurants in and around Northern NJ, "Seabra" is the best (In Newark).

The owner flys fresh ingredients in from the motherland every week...

NotMitch
05-13-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell do you do that? $100 a day is a lot to spend.

(note I live in SF, so I am familiar with things being not cheap)

LALDAAS
05-13-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell do you do that? $100 a day is a lot to spend.

(note I live in SF, so I am familiar with things being not cheap)

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL I live in NJ everything is expensive. I am heading out to the bar right now, I plan on dropping $100 easily.

Boys night out, GF is work I gotta have some fun while I am still a free man.

LALDAAS
05-13-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you guys are talking about Portuguese restaurants in and around Northern NJ, "Seabra" is the best (In Newark).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ill look into. Newark also has some sweet arse spot to get a good bite to eat.

LALDAAS
05-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Awsome thanks for your post!

Uglyowl
05-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Chase and Citibank offer cards with 5% cash rebate on gas and groceries.

Bluffoon
05-13-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ill look into. Newark also has some sweet arse spot to get a good bite to eat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uropias, Seabras got it! Thanks for the tips guys.