PDA

View Full Version : If you could reverse one coaching decision...

ttleistdci
05-13-2005, 10:17 AM
If you could reverse one coaching decision - any sport, any year - what would it be?

I'd go with game 7 of the 2003 ALCS when Grady Little kept Pedro in despite the fact that his tank was on E.
If Pedro comes out, I think we close out the game, win the World Series, repeat in 2004, and start talking about the possibility of a Red Sox dynasty this year.

(has anyone ever used Red Sox and dynasty in the same sentence? Looks weird, but has a nice ring to it)

bort411
05-13-2005, 10:19 AM
Every instance that Nick Smith was put on a basketball court during his carrer.

Honorable mention for every instance in which Nick Smith was not removed immediately after shooting a 3.

Edge34
05-13-2005, 10:19 AM
1998 - Vikings-Falcons NFC Title Game. There's no way Denny's taking a knee to end the first half on my watch, not in a game that big.

The karma from that move carried over and led to Gary Anderson's first missed figgie ALL YEAR.

Crveballin
05-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Have Rick Pitino put someone on the inbounds man during the Kentucky Duke game in the final four for the desperation Christian Laettner shot in 1992.

Voltron87
05-13-2005, 10:25 AM
3 years in a row =/= dynasty

But I would say bunt on Schilling in game 6 of 2004.

namknils
05-13-2005, 10:28 AM
Don't let Kerry Wood pitch two innings a half hour after he threw a 140 pitch complete game back in High School. This is said to be where all his shoulder/arm problems started.

Steph Djordjevic
05-13-2005, 10:28 AM
I would make it so that Coach Nickerson has Rifleman take a knee against Walnut Heights.

If that happens, we win the game, and I don't have to make as many "Right Moves" to play college football.

BreakfastBurrito
05-13-2005, 10:31 AM
Have Jim Fregosi not bring in Mitch Williams for any game in the 93' NLCS or World Series.

bort411
05-13-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would make it so that Coach Nickerson has Rifleman take a knee against Walnut Heights.

If that happens, we win the game, and I don't have to make as many "Right Moves" to play college football.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that while your gimmick account is funny, it's spelled "Stef," not "Steph." I'm not sure if it's more sad that you made this mistake or I that noticed.

tbach24
05-13-2005, 10:41 AM
Have Perkins play more in the Celtics-Pacers series. Only because the one you did was taken.

judgesmails
05-13-2005, 10:48 AM
2004 NFC Divisional playoff game. Packers vs. Eagles. Packers had been running it down the Eagles throat all game (+200 yds rushing). Packers lead by 3 with ball 4th and 1 with 2:40 left on the Eagle 41 and Eagle defensive front is exhausted.

I try a running play here to pick up the first down instead of Mike Sherman's decision to punt. Another factor is the Packers had sacked McNabb 6 or 7 times in the game already and the Eagles were struggling with their passing game.

jedi
05-13-2005, 11:20 AM
I would have told my number 7 batter who couldn't hit to attempt a squeeze play in the top of the 7th (last inning) with 2 outs, runner on 3rd, down by 1 run against a markedly superior team, but whose pitcher/corner infield defense was a bit suspect. We were down 6 runs to start the inning, and fought back for most of it, but we were at the bottom of the order now and swining away wasn't going to get the job done. Maybe it would have worked, maybe not, but it was better than him striking out.

In the pro realm, I'd say walk Bobby Thompson and take the chance with the rookie Willie Mays.

offTopic
05-13-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you could reverse one coaching decision - any sport, any year - what would it be?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Hey, Dusty. You're not seriously thinking of taking out your starter when he's in the 7th inning of a 4-hit shutout, are you? Nah, I didn't think so. No worries, man. Take a seat. Here's a fresh toothpick."

M2d
05-13-2005, 12:29 PM
I'd have PJ sucker punch Latrell after they were initially separated.

slickpoppa
05-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Does trading Babe Ruth count as a coaching decision?

IndieMatty
05-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Currently it's Herman Edwards [censored] up the clock management against the steelers in the playoffs.

Steph Djordjevic
05-13-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that while your gimmick account is funny, it's spelled "Stef," not "Steph." I'm not sure if it's more sad that you made this mistake or I that noticed.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's "Steph."

After they filmed the documentary, I would not sign the waiver and release unless the producers agreed to chip in for my scholly to Cal Poly. They played hard ball and changed it all around, including the title and my name.

BWebb
05-13-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Hey, Dusty. You're not seriously thinking of taking out your starter when he's in the 7th inning of a 4-hit shutout, are you? Nah, I didn't think so. No worries, man. Take a seat. Here's a fresh toothpick."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure you are talking about him taking Ortiz out of game 6 in the 2002 World Series. If that is what you are talking about, this is by the most painful thing I have endured as a sports fan.

bosoxfan
05-13-2005, 01:03 PM
I know we bring in Stapleton as a defensive replacement in the late innings but lets leave Buckner in so he can be on the field when we win it.

PhatTBoll
05-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Sure we have the most productive offense in the history of the game, and sure the Patriots' secondary is incredibly banged-up. But they'll be expecting us to take shots downfield. So we'll throw lots of slow developing screen passes, and we will never go deep. Not once.

Soul Daddy
05-13-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have Rick Pitino put someone on the inbounds man during the Kentucky Duke game in the final four for the desperation Christian Laettner shot in 1992.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ding!

Toro
05-13-2005, 01:32 PM
1986 WS. Two decisions by Manager MacNamara. Taking Clemens out because of a blister with a shaky bullpen and leaving Buckner in the ninth so he could enjoy the "full experience" of being on the field when the Sox win. The first one is subject to debate because Mac claims Clemens begged out while Clemens says the opposite.

The 2nd one was a no brainer. Buckner, a great hitter had very bad ankles and was lifted routinely all year for better defense in the late innings. Maybe Buckner would have been a little pissed if he got taken out but I'll bet he would have gotten over it a tiny bit easier than wearing the eternal goat horns.

Victor
05-13-2005, 01:36 PM
in that olympic hoops game where we lost to the russians we should have put our tall dude on the inbounder.

it was a bs game but still a poor coaching decision.

Shajen
05-13-2005, 01:37 PM
I think he's a hall of fame manager, but pretty much any decision Bobby Cox makes during the post season.

/images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

pudley4
05-13-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1998 - Vikings-Falcons NFC Title Game. There's no way Denny's taking a knee to end the first half on my watch, not in a game that big.

The karma from that move carried over and led to Gary Anderson's first missed figgie ALL YEAR.

[/ QUOTE ]

The knee was at the end of the game, not the end of the first half.

The missed FG came before the knee.

The end of the first half was when Cunningham got sacked and fumbled near the Vikings goal line. The Falcons recovered and scored to cut the deficit to 20-14. Probably helped solidify Green's decision to take the knee at the end of the game.

goofball
05-13-2005, 07:16 PM
Every GM decision the Blazers have made since 1994. Except for acquiring Sabonis.

jacki
05-13-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2004 NFC Divisional playoff game. Packers vs. Eagles. Packers had been running it down the Eagles throat all game (+200 yds rushing). Packers lead by 3 with ball 4th and 1 with 2:40 left on the Eagle 41 and Eagle defensive front is exhausted.

I try a running play here to pick up the first down instead of Mike Sherman's decision to punt. Another factor is the Packers had sacked McNabb 6 or 7 times in the game already and the Eagles were struggling with their passing game.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto

youtalkfunny
05-14-2005, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd go with game 7 of the 2003 ALCS when Grady Little kept Pedro in despite the fact that his tank was on E.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? When did this happen?

I seem to have trouble remembering all these Red Sox catastrophes. Something happened last October to erase my memory.

Dead
05-14-2005, 12:19 AM
Grady was [censored] either way on the Pedro thing.

If he takes Pedro out and the bullpen gets hammered then people will say he should have left Pedro in.

Corey
05-14-2005, 02:18 AM
Pinch run Eric Byrnes for Jeremy Giambi in game 3 of the '01 ALDS; no sliding necessary

Jack of Arcades
05-14-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pinch run Eric Byrnes for Jeremy Giambi in game 3 of the '01 ALDS; no sliding necessary

[/ QUOTE ]

If Giambi slides, he's out by even more.

bdk3clash
05-14-2005, 02:34 AM
Coach Ditka, Superbowl XX--I'd have kept Walter Payton in until he scored a touchdown. I still hate Ditka for this.

IndieMatty
05-14-2005, 02:40 AM
dude were talking wrestling in the yanks thread

Corey
05-14-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If Giambi slides, he's out by even more.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he slides, he gets around the tag.

And Byrnes make it standing up, halfway back to the bench before the ball gets there.

CardSharpCook
05-14-2005, 03:04 AM
The decision to keep interim coach Steve Lavin on for SEVEN FREAKING YEARS!!!! That is one coaching decision that will always live in infamy in the hearts and minds of Bruin fans.

CSC

bugstud
05-14-2005, 03:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Coach Ditka, Superbowl XX--I'd have kept Walter Payton in until he scored a touchdown. I still hate Ditka for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

fridge - 1
payton - 0

wtf?!?!?!?

wonderwes
05-14-2005, 05:25 AM
Here's not the biggest, but an interesting one. Benching McNabb in the 4th quarter of this year's Superbowl.

wh1t3bread
05-14-2005, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's not the biggest, but an interesting one. Benching McNabb in the 4th quarter of this year's Superbowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is just insane.

bort411
05-14-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just totally stupid, and I'm tired of hearing this crap. Are you a Bears fan? They won the goddamn Superbowl and you're bitching about who's scoring touchdowns? By the way, Payton played like total [censored] that game, turning it over on the first series and running for 61 yards on 22 carries; he was the only guy on the Bears who didn't play well.

When Perry scored, the game was already a blowout. You're pissed because Ditka didn't decide to start delegating touchdowns to those "deserving," and instead starting playing the backups? I love Walter Payton, but faulting Ditka for not caring who scores is just moronic. It's good that he didn't care. Instead he was focused on winning the game.