PDA

View Full Version : KToff for a raise from the big-blind

11-30-2002, 04:39 PM
Slightly loose-aggressive $6-$12 game, I was in the big blind when the following hand came up.

I hold KT off in the big blind, An early player limps, A middle-early player calls, A late player raises(has not really gotten out of line), and I call, the SB leaves, it gets called around.

Flop comes up JA2(two flush, I have none). I check, early player checks, middle-early player bets, later player folds, and I call, early-player raises, we all call.

Turn brings an off-suit Ace (JQ2A), giving me broadway. I check (with the intention of check-raising) and it is checked around.

The river brings a Ten (JQ2AT – No flush), I bet out, get one caller and drag the pot.

Had many questions about this hand, so here goes.

1) Is this a questionable pre-flop call? I got some funny looks when I showed down…Typically I will call a raise with any two cards over ten from the big-blind.
2) On the flop I called because I was getting ten-to-one and I was counting on getting extra bets if I hit my hand. I also considered betting out if the flush card hit on the turn and folding to a raise.
3) On turn, should I have bet my hand? Although, I didn’t want to give a free card to the flush, I know anyone with a flush draw wasn’t going anywhere. With the flop action, I was sure that someone would bet. Guess I was wrong.

Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Huh?

Dr.Kimble
11-30-2002, 05:38 PM
1 fold
2 fold
3 bet /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

cpk
11-30-2002, 05:53 PM
Preflop call is OK. You have 15:2 immediate odds, and you're not that far behind anything but KK.

You have the implied odds for a straight draw, but just barely.

I think it's better to bet on the turn unless the person with the lead is extremely aggressive. No point in getting greedy.

Dynasty
11-30-2002, 06:02 PM
The pre-flop call is terrible. Pot odds are irrelevent when you are likely to be up against a hand which dominates you badly.

On the flop, you have an easy call. On the turn, I would have gone for the checkraise too.

cpk
11-30-2002, 06:46 PM
Pot odds irrelevant?

If I threw an extra $100 in the pot, would you call with your KTo then?

You're a 9:1 dog against KK. That's the absolute worst-case. You're only about 6:1 against AA, 3:1 against AK, 7:3 against QQ, 2:1 against TT. In mildly loose-aggressive games, you're just about as likely to be up against worst hands with KT than against better hands. Throwing away KTo here is throwing away money.

Pot odds is one factor. Domination is another. And game condition is yet a third. Weighing these three among others, calling pre-flop is fine.

PokerPrince
11-30-2002, 07:24 PM
I don't think calling with KTo in the big blind against a raise in this situation is a good idea but I like your post-flop play.

PokerPrince

Dynasty
11-30-2002, 09:41 PM
Your analysis is much too focused on how your hand plays heads-up against a legitimate pre-flop raising hand. With two other opponents in the hand with legitimate playing hands (a reasonable or suited Ace, small pocket pair, or suited connector), you are in a very bad spot. Your hand is dominated by a pre-flop raiser and can easily flop second best against the two limpers.

If you gave your opponents JJ, A9o and 65s (a compartively good scenario for you), you will be in a situation where you will get little post-flop action when you make the best hand but will often be calling with the second best hand.